Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
escalade
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started as Real estate agent and i was just about to put on my 24" chrome wheels and it dawned on my me " Will my potential clients think I'm me gangster/not take me serious.??" I love these wheels and love the way my truck looks all summer. would hate to let them go. What do you think??

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Escalade Ext, 2013 Luxury Ats, 2014 Perf Ats, 2014 Prem Cts, 2017 Sierra Denali
158 Posts
I would think the agent is down to earth and would let me know of any problems, but for the older crowd I would say its a hit or miss. If I were in your situation I would put them on, but like I told my foreman what do I know I'm just a 20 year old. :cool2:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Just started as Real estate agent and i was just about to put on my 24" chrome wheels and it dawned on my me " Will my potential clients think I'm me gangster/not take me serious.??" I love these wheels and love the way my truck looks all summer. would hate to let them go. What do you think??
I started out in RE about 35 years ago, I got a job with my friend father who had the largest RE comapny in our area, my first meeting before being hired I was told what cars NOT to show up to work driving, and in fact I remember my first day of RE classes, the first thing the instructor told the class, if you show up in a real nice car/truck that is nicer than what the buyers own, they may not want to do business with you, and you may even here comments that "why does he need my money, look at what he drives" , of course you can do what you want, but you may do better with a Tahoe or a Grand Cherokee in your clients mind. :)

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Why would they think you are a gangster?

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
I would put on those wheels as I think they look good, BUT I would not use your Caddy for your business.
I'd buy a nice 2-3 year old Honda Accord in addition to your Caddy and use that for work. You'll have a much better perception across the board.

Everyone already thinks that real estate people make too much money. You show up in a car like that and many will be turned off. Yes, you may be good and be able to change perceptions but others may not allow it.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
This topic is very much like being a corporate person and having full sleeve tattoos. The mainstream don't care not one bit, the 50 plus still look at ya with a crooked eye.

I'm of the mindset that I will make you see past this by showcasing my skills. 95% of the time it works - but some are old school and just can't let it go.

I say stick the wheels on and wow them with your abilities. I would rather see my agent in a nicer car than a toilet. Tells me the person is potentially successful as a matter of fact. Just knock the job out of the park.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Coupe; 2010 Platinum Escalade ESV
17 Posts
I would have to agree with Elusive. It's fine to place your 24's on your truck just get another vehicle for work. I work in corp. America and I have Polynesian tatts covering my chest and arms... Knowing this I wear long sleeves shirts all summer and winter. I work in an office and it has ac (thank goodness). What I'm getting at is life is full of perception, if you want to be perceived as a professional then you have to play the part. Just my opinion.

Btw... I have black 24's on my ext.. I just don't drive it to work.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
36 Posts
I used to sell RE as well. I drove a Saab 9-5 wagon at first then a Saab 9-7x. In some cases my cars were nicer then my clients and others not. Nobody really seemed to care so long as they could get in and out ok. If I was selling I would still use my Escalade or perhaps buy a used CTS or something along that line. In my area it wasn't so much the cost of the vehicle but who made it. Living in SE Michigan it just mattered if it was made by the Big 3. The only reason I wouldn't use the Escalade would be the cost of gas. I would easy go through 2 tanks a week going on appointments and driving clients around. So keep that in mind at $100 a fill up in addition to the marketing, advertising and office fees you will have when getting started. It was a surprise to me how expensive it was just to be in the business. As for the wheels, most people won't know if they are factory or not so I wouldn't worry about it. Good Luck to you!!

·
Registered
escalade
60 Posts
keep it sober and clean. it can be an escalade, chevy cruze, or harley davidson. have the same with attitude when meeting clients.

·
Registered
2008 escalade
89 Posts
If i were to be a real estate agent tryin to sell houses i'd drive something more generic
i'd want the potential buyers not to think of how much i might be making when they buy from me unless i'm sellin to filthy rich to whom thousands dont affect the buying decision and they want to be pampered.
funny but if i'm sellin a house at $10m i'd drive up in an escalade why not.but when sellin something where thousands does matter it's a different story.
my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,455 Posts
I have a house for sale and looking to purchase another. All of the agents I've met with drive "regular" cars, Hondas and such. My house isn't 10M and neither are the ones I'm looking to purchase. That said, I drive my Honda when viewing these properties, no need to drive any of my nice cars and give the sellers any reason to not negotiate. JMHO...

·
Registered
escalade
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I'll drive the wife's car ( mazda 3) when seeing clients. Im new, Im gonna have a hard time keeping them on the phone!! lol

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
The problem with the Mazda 3 is that it may be too small for those days when you want to put your customers into your car and go visit 3-5 houses together.
I'd really suggest a Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, Nissan Maxima or something along those lines.
Something with enough space and nice enough, but doesn't scream over the top rich.
Best of luck in your new career.
Which market are you in? How's it doing?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
A real estate agent is just like a lawyer...... Dont trust any of them.

Jk.

Best of luck!

Just remeber.... Its not small, its cozy. Its not in bad shape, just rustic. Falling apart?....renovation potential!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
A real estate agent is just like a lawyer...... Dont trust any of them.

Jk.

Best of luck!

Just remeber.... Its not small, its cozy. Its not in bad shape, just rustic. Falling apart?....renovation potential!
I must really be in trouble, I am a broker and a lawyer, glad I don't do either anymore :hide:

·
Registered
escalade
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I work in Langley,British Columbia. 20 mins from Vancouver . Yeah your right about the mazada 3 being to small . Maybe I'll just sell the wheels. Use the caddy for now, until I can get another car

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I work in Langley,British Columbia. 20 mins from Vancouver . Yeah your right about the mazada 3 being to small . Maybe I'll just sell the wheels. Use the caddy for now, until I can get another car
Not sure how it is in BC where you are, but these days you will not do as much driving customers around because many call you from the road and will meet you at the location, it's was not like this a thousand years ago when I started and there were no cell phones, customers would stop by a RE office and you would spend the day driving them around. If you keep your truck get a set of stock 18's, you will get a smooth ride and your customers will like that too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts