Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new (to me) 2001 Deville DHS and it has that oil that dealers put on all over everything. Whats the best thing to clean the leather and interior pieces, Saddle soap, ArmourAll cleaner for leather and one for plastic? any advice would be great as this is my first caddy and you know I'll be out tomorrow cleaning it. They also said they waxed it but it sure doesn't feel like it. When I wax a car the polishing cloth slides off. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Check some of the other threads in this section for more details on leather cleaning. We've covered it in pretty good detail, and there are a lot of experts here.

The dealer either just used a rubbing compound, or maybe a cleaner wax. They don't always feel "slippery." You're right to want to get a good coat of wax on it. Check for swirls and/or scratches now--if you don't see any, just go ahead and get a good protective coating on. Again, I won't give any specific advice on what to use--read the other threads and make your own judgements.

I'M JEALOUS AS HELL OF YOU! I want a DHS, too. And I've been looking at 2000-2002 models.

POST SOME PICS! And WELCOME ABOARD!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I did read further and found all sorts of information, I'll take some pictures this weekend, it's supposed to be sunny( in Chicago in November those days are like gold). Good luck on your search it's a great car I was lucky in my timing because this one would have gone fast.

Elvis said:
Check some of the other threads in this section for more details on leather cleaning. We've covered it in pretty good detail, and there are a lot of experts here.

The dealer either just used a rubbing compound, or maybe a cleaner wax. They don't always feel "slippery." You're right to want to get a good coat of wax on it. Check for swirls and/or scratches now--if you don't see any, just go ahead and get a good protective coating on. Again, I won't give any specific advice on what to use--read the other threads and make your own judgements.

I'M JEALOUS AS HELL OF YOU! I want a DHS, too. And I've been looking at 2000-2002 models.

POST SOME PICS! And WELCOME ABOARD!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
There are good leather cleaners like Zaino & Lexol to name a few. There are good plastic and vinyl like 303. Most dealerships use a spray wax or quick detailer, you should get a coat or two of a good synthetic wax on your car if you want something that will last through your harsh winters

·
Registered
43 Posts
GM recommends Saddle Soap for the leather. I've tried Zaino & had to use saddle soap to take it off, as after putting the conditioner on, it squeaked like hell. Drove me nuts. :crying2:

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
lcubed61 said:
I just picked up my new (to me) 2001 Deville DHS and it has that oil that dealers put on all over everything. Whats the best thing to clean the leather and interior pieces, Saddle soap, ArmourAll cleaner for leather and one for plastic?

surprise ... :bouncy:

WD-40 is the latest stuff to spray on a car engine, seats, dash, exterior, to shine it up for the sale ... :hammer:

the good news: comes off with mild dish soap & will help in some areas against corrosion and galvanic action in switches/contacts ... :)
but, GET IT OFF THE LEATHER ASAP!! KEEP in mind that saddle soap disolves the leather coloring ...

did i mention WD-40 is also an excellent scent for fish bait, cat fish love it ... :histeric:

now, do yourself a favor and go and read the threads about Eagle-One, Bick4, ans such ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been reading the threads and took myself over to PEP BOYS just to check out the products and such. I'm originally from South Florida what does anyone suggest about trying to wax in cold weather (40 or below) I'm in Chicago so warm is gone until next year and my garage is filled with crap right now. I could have a pro do it and use the products i purchase but I want to find someone who is good with an orbital. Any suggestions for the chicago area would be great.

Regarding the fish bait info. Is there a particular place on the Deville I should place the hook, and what about water damage, just roll up the windows or what?

Stealth said:
surprise ... :bouncy:

WD-40 is the latest stuff to spray on a car engine, seats, dash, exterior, to shine it up for the sale ... :hammer:

the good news: comes off with mild dish soap & will help in some areas against corrosion and galvanic action in switches/contacts ... :)
but, GET IT OFF THE LEATHER ASAP!! KEEP in mind that saddle soap disolves the leather coloring ...

did i mention WD-40 is also an excellent scent for fish bait, cat fish love it ... :histeric:

now, do yourself a favor and go and read the threads about Eagle-One, Bick4, ans such ....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I had GREAT results with Eagle one WET polish/wax..... Cost me $5 and Ive done 2 applications with it and she shines BEAUTIFULLY, still beads like day one, and I did it a month ago and it sits outside all the time.....

I need to find some leather stuff also.... I have turtle wax, and it smells like crisco..... Works decent, but reeks..... I couldnt find the eagle one stuff at autozone or advance, so Ill try walmart sometime and if I cant find it there I guess I have to order it..... :(

For the interior pieces (plastic and such), windex works perfect for me......

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
rapid rabbit said:
GM recommends Saddle Soap for the leather. I've tried Zaino & had to use saddle soap to take it off, as after putting the conditioner on, it squeaked like hell. Drove me nuts. :crying2:

First time I heard that in 9 years of selling it. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
He probably gooed too much on there and didnt wipe it off..... Or didnt let it sit long enough......

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
elwesso said:
I had GREAT results with Eagle one WET polish/wax..... Cost me $5 and Ive done 2 applications with it and she shines BEAUTIFULLY, still beads like day one, and I did it a month ago and it sits outside all the time.....

I need to find some leather stuff also.... I have turtle wax, and it smells like crisco..... Works decent, but reeks..... I couldnt find the eagle one stuff at autozone or advance, so Ill try walmart sometime and if I cant find it there I guess I have to order it..... :(

For the interior pieces (plastic and such), windex works perfect for me......

i also use the Eagle One polish/wax, goes on fast and slick on my black cars ...

for the exterior/interior plastic, have u tried Mother's Back to Black? works very well, specially if you have graying black items on bumpers, doors trim, etc .. also has done wonders on the brown/tan tones .. seems to replenish the plastic oils that other cleaners tend to remove .. maybe, not sure, it will extend the life of the plastic items ...

i used to buy the Eagle One leather cond at Target until i walked into a Pic-N-Save (now Big-Lots)and found it there for $2.49 and bought a case of the stuff, so i am set for a few years .. same for the wax, same price .. also seen it at Kragen Auto, cost is around $6 ...

if hard to find in your area, go to the Eagle One site and inquire as to who sells it in your area ...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hmm..... Looks like a quest to walmart and meijer is in order today!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts