Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
New to the board and a new 2009 CTS owner..Blue Diamond, AWD/DI. Car is great..love every minute I'm driving it. However, I'm in a slight tiff with the salesperson. She had sent me the configuration of the car in an email (we did the purchase over the phone) and in that email, I saw that the car came with the Bose 10 system with HDD (no popup display). That was great..just what I wanted.

But when I picked up the car guess what? No Bose 10 w/HDD. Just the standard Bose 8. Not only that, but when I play it the Bose 8 had a degradation in volume in the rear speakers. Argh.

In any case, she's saying that the Bose wasn't part of the features that I verbally specified to her. I agree with that statement; regardless, I'm saying that she sent me an email with the features and I tacitly accepted that email as the true config of the car and thus, should expect that feature in the car.

I love the car. All I want is the stereo that I thought was configured. The salesperson is saying it might not be worth the hassle of ripping out the old one to install the 10 speaker as it might be a very intrusive procedure. Can anyone verify this? Her suggestion was that if I really want the 10 speaker would be to trade in the car (with 1000 miles on it) and buy one factory built. (Not soiled, so to speak).

Tomorrow I'm going to hash this out with her and maybe the GM of the dealership, but wondered if anyone had a similar situation or could provide some guidance.

thanks much,
'sodo

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
There is a thread about someone trying to upgrade from the 8 speaker to the 10 speaker, but I do not believe that issue has been resolved yet.
We have also seen several examples of cars being mis-represented whether intentionally or not. I believe in most cases,once you have the car you are pretty much stuck with it.
It's interesting that your salesperson messed up, but her idea is to have you trade the car (at a loss I suppose) and profit by selling you the next car. Pretty shrewd of her!

·
Registered
White Diamond 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 (Fully Loaded)
75 Posts
From a legal standpoint her email is the legally binding representation of the car you are purchasing including all features. This supercedes any previous verbal communications that you may have had with her. Therefore, demand that she comply with the features listed on the email since you reasonable relied that those features would be included.

With that said, you need to act quickly and speak with an upper level representative at the dealership. Failing to do so will allow her/them to argue that your silence or lack of action represents your intent to accept the car as it was shipped to you and not as it was described to you.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
What options does your car actually have? The Bose 5.1 Surround Sound with 10 speaker system and HDD is only available with certain configurations:

U2S Audio system, AM/FM stereo with CD/DVD player, MP3 playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-speaker system with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and audio connectivity with steering wheel controls
1 - Requires (PDP) CTS Luxury Collection or (PDR) CTS Performance Collection. Not available with (PDQ) CTS Premium Collection.
So, does your car have either the PDP or PDR collections?

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
From a legal standpoint her email is the legally binding representation of the car you are purchasing including all features. This supercedes any previous verbal communications that you may have had with her. Therefore, demand that she comply with the features listed on the email since you reasonable relied that those features would be included.
Standard Equipment . . .
"AM/FM STEREO, CD PLAYER, BOSE 8 SPEAKER SYSTEM"
Options installed by manufacturer . . .
"AM/FM STEREO, 6 DISC CD PLAYER, BOSE 8 SPEAKER SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)"
or
"AM/FM STEREO, CD/DVD PLAYER, BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND 10 SPEAKER SYSTEM, 40GB HARD DRIVE DEVICE (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)"
or
"AM/FM STEREO, CD/DVD PLAYER, BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND 10 SPEAKER SYSTEM, 40 GB HARD DRIVE DEVICE, DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)"

I'm not an attorney...but the definitive list of standard and optional equipment printed on the manufacturer's window sticker and attached to the vehicle, or possibly removed and presented to buyer at time of closing transaction, supercedes any prior correspondence from the salesperson...right?

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
surely you signed a sales agreement for the car....what options are listed on it.....her email does solidify anything if you dont have a signed sales agreement outlining the options you agree to buy and pay for.....

this is the statement that will get ya:

In any case, she's saying that the Bose wasn't part of the features that I verbally specified to her. I agree with that statement; regardless, I'm saying that she sent me an email with the features and I tacitly accepted that email as the true config of the car and thus, should expect that feature in the car

unless she sent you a true copy of the window sticker of your car.....Im not sure you have a leg to stand on here.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Wow...seems you read about these type of transactions often.

I'm not sure why folks would enter into an oral contract with a salesperson on a high ticketed item like a new CTS. Everything needs to be put in writing, listing all the standard and optional equipment ordered and agreed upon delivered price. A sales order is generated and signed by both parties. Verbal agreements all to often turn into a He Said, She Said situation when things start to go wrong.

What did the email actually include, was it the Sale's Agreement?

Good Luck. Hope you can iron things out.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 Loaded
328 Posts
Sorry you had trouble, glad you got a CTS.

I have been car shopping and buying cars online for 10 years. I always look at the window sticker for the new cars I'm looking at. Sometimes the sales people are busy, get options confused, or are just not as educated as they should be about the specific options included with each package. The window sticker is a true representation of the exact car you are looking at or buying, including the serial number.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
If you are serious about wanting the upgraded sound, then you need to return the car immediately. However, it is probably too late. I am not a lawyer, but I've taken legal classes for my MBA, and from what I got from those classes, if you agreed to buy the car based off of the email, then you are entitled to those features. If you took delivery in person (ie could inspect it), then you are pretty much stuck with the car you drove off with. There is a "reasonable" amount of time you have to discover such non-obvious issues, if it is not what you agreed upon, but after 1000 miles I would venture you are stuck with it. It will also be very expensive to fight in court, certainly more than the lost trade-in value. Again, it comes down to what you signed for. If it was purchased via email from the specs she sent, then that is your contract. If you signed another contract with that car's VIN, then you agreed to buy that car. What you specified you were looking for is irrelevant, so that is not a factor (I'm sure you got a lot of stuff you didn't specify), all that matters is what you signed for. However, continuing to drive it shows (legally) you are satisfied with the deal. The court (or more likely arbiter) can and will take elapsed time into consideration.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Believe it or not--I never turn on the radio in my vehicles unless I am listening for severe weather. I drove one company car for 6 months prior to realizing it had a CD changer in it. I guess your dealer would love me.

Sorry for your headaches. Keep us posted.

Don't let your sales person hang a transistor radio on each of the 4 head rests, thereby claiming 12 speakers.
LOL

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
There are much cheaper ways to solve your problem. First of all, the Bose 8 and 10 speaker system are not very good. I have just upgraded my 8 speaker system for about $600. and it sound fantastic now. Your lack of a hard drive can be solved with an Ipod ( $225. I guarantee you this will be MUCH cheaper than getting another car, and you will have a much better sound. I do not know what the installation cost will be for a system like I have as I did that myself.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
5 Posts
I just bought a 2009 CTS with the Boise 8 and do not like the sound quality. Mu 2006 Boise was a lot better. Where did you have your sound upgrade done? Dealer or after market car stereo place?: thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,
I'm sorry, I had lost track of this thread. Anyway, thanks very much for the wide range of detailed responses. As the dealer did not honor the contents of the email, I have lost the battle with them. I will take carnut's advice and upgrade the stereo myself in one form or another!
:)
In lieu of the battle being lost, I opened a case with the Better Business Bureau on this issue. Also, some other negative things have happened, so I've drafted a letter to Bob Lutz on these subjects with the purchase and support of my wonderful new ride. I will inform you if I get any traction on the matter.

As I wrote to him, the car is great. It's just that the support system for the vehicle that has let me down. This is why GM has a bad rep and people purchase luxury vehicles elsewhere.

Thanks again,
scott

·
Registered
CTS
71 Posts
I just bought a 2009 CTS with the Boise 8 and do not like the sound quality. Mu 2006 Boise was a lot better. Where did you have your sound upgrade done? Dealer or after market car stereo place?: thumbsup:
Can you give some details of the upgrades you performed ? Was it just speakers ? Additional amps ??

I just picked up a new 09 CTS with Bose 8 system and it is certainly lacking in sound quality. :duck:

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts