Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not going to be everyone's dream "flagship" but it's going to be a technological powerhouse. That's for sure...

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
That center stack looks like it might feature the same kind of "glide" controls found on the new Lincolns (no actual "button", just a touch or swipe). Honestly, I hope I'm wrong- those things are annoying.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
That center stack looks like it might feature the same kind of "glide" controls found on the new Lincolns (no actual "button", just a touch or swipe). Honestly, I hope I'm wrong- those things are annoying.
Its interesting that buttons are still good enough for F18's and Boeing 747's, but a plebeian car drivin' by an untrained inattentive driver needs a screen you have to look at to operate?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,764 Posts
^ My thoughts exactly. I hate the screens in car's interiors. They look like shit. Every time.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope Cadillac is listening because it seems nobody wants these new controls...

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
It's a "whiz bang wow" feature that will make it appear high tech and impress shoppers. Chances are this is the new "thing", just like all digital dashes or the horrid touchscreen controls in the Reatta. These type of gentle swipe controls (similar to an iPhone or Android) just don't work for most people. I STILL see people poking nav screens really hard all the time- they just don't comprehend that it's not pressure sensitive.

The magazines will bitch about operating it, people will get frustrated when they have a hard time making precise adjustments to the HVAC or radio, and they'll disappear after a few years like every fad.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,764 Posts
Yeah I have a friend who's dad just bought him an '11 Audi A5 and I rode with him the first day he had it, and he poked the shit out of the nav screen. It took literally five minutes of explanation to get it through to him that that just isn't how it works.

I'll be surprised if it still works at all by the time his warranty expires. He's not that bright....

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible
102 Posts
Its interesting that buttons are still good enough for F18's and Boeing 747's, but a plebeian car drivin' by an untrained inattentive driver needs a screen you have to look at to operate?
Not to disprove your point about our cars, but the F-35 instrument panel is basically one large touch-screen.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Serious!? I didnt know that. Ill have to stop using that example, then! That being said, we're still talking about trained fighter pilots vs soccer parents with many many distractions and little to know training in how to deal with distractions while driving....little to know training in how to drive. I dont have alot of faith in drivers' using this technology next to me at 75 mph. Cell phone use is banned while driving, here. I love that. If the touchscreen locks itself while driving, and you have to use voice controls, Id be satisfied.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 4
348 Posts
Regular buttons and knobs for the radio controls always. Not the speedo, tach and what not though. One large monitor in the dash, have an ipod, chrome, android design a dash app. Just have a half a dozen presets, then the ability to completely customize it... with what ever lawyer rules need to be in place for safety. Also some touch controls on the steering wheel that you can change to whatever you want would in fact be factastical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts