Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any one see the new Consumer Reports 2003 car issue? They ranked Cadillac dead last in reliability among about 20 brands. They also ranked the STS at dead last in it's class. What say everyone about this? I thought Cadillac stepped up it's QC.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Can you get a link to that site??

That is surprising, since you see so many cadillacs with lot of miles.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Yes, give us a link.. You see many Cadillacs with high miles because people can afford to maintain them.. I don't know what Cadillac is going to do when everyone decides to buy a Lexus because the cars stay reliable until they get stolen.

I'd love to read that article... Actually, I think you have to pay to read the articles on that site...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But if he already subscribes to the magazine you can read the articles online.......

·
Registered
586 Posts
Brett said:
For the most part consumer reports hates american cars
for the most part, every big magazine hates american cars... except motor trend... they tend to like them more. Or at least they did up until recently.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I dont get it. In the 60s and 70s, you didnt see hardly any other cars but american cars. Now in some cities, it is a rarity to see american cars.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahhh, upon closer inspection of the magazine, the first chart highlights how many repairs per 100 vehicles there were for year 2000 cars. Acura at the very top with 21 and Cadillac at the very bottom with 82.

However, there is a chart of luxury cars that "give a detailed picture of how the truck/car has fared, but also allows us to look ahead to predict the reliability of the 2003 model-year entries"
CR arived at the numbers by averaging 2000, 2001, and 2002 reliability ratings. Here's the list:

Acura RL..........................70% (Better than ave)
Lexus LS430................... 65% (" " ")
Lexus GS300/400............ 30% (" " ")
BMW 5-Series.................. 15% (" " ")
-----------------------------------------
Audi A6............................ 25% (Worse " ")
Cadillac Deville................. 30% (" " ")
Volvo S80......................... 45% (" " ")
Mercedes-Benz S-Class.... 45% (" " ")
Jaguar S-Type................... 60% (" " ")
Cadillac Seville*.................. 117% (" " ")

*so low, they had to write out the percent

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
This is nothing new guys. The Cadillac line has been rated poorly for years.
It's like I've said in other threads before,
The American car industry (like many others) had gotten rather complacent until Lexus gave them a wake-up call. Hopefully, it won't happen again.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
IMO, the older model caddys seem to be more reliable. Maybe this is a complete misconception on my part, but it seems there are less problems with older models than with the newer ones.

·
Registered
586 Posts
elwesso said:
IMO, the older model caddys seem to be more reliable. Maybe this is a complete misconception on my part, but it seems there are less problems with older models than with the newer ones.
thats because the newer things get, the more features they have, and the more that can go wrong with them. not to mention they get much more expensive to fix.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Imagine what Cadillac would be if they rated at the top of that list.. They sell cars that have the worst reliability on that list - and they still sell a lot of cars. Imagine otherwise.. They'd be the Microsoft of luxury vehicles...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
So then would toyota or lexus be unix or linux???

:D

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
CR is very anti-American car biased, they rated the Grand Am as a bad car and "a normal 4-door familey sedan" which really isn't true, they also said some other things that made it sound bad next to the Camery etc....

I have been subscribing to Motor Trend for awhile now, and it seems like they are having more and more stuff on imports and less and less on Domestics...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
To a certain degree, american cars arent as good as imports, reliability wise. I am not trying to be anti american, I am just stating the facts. You will see many more Nissans and Toyotas with high miles that havent had much in the way of parts replacement. If you do see a cadillac with that many miles, chances are that they have had lots of money put into them.

Believe me, if i could find a cadillac that i liked, i'd get it.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
elwesso said:
To a certain degree, american cars arent as good as imports, reliability wise. I am not trying to be anti american, I am just stating the facts. You will see many more Nissans and Toyotas with high miles that havent had much in the way of parts replacement. If you do see a cadillac with that many miles, chances are that they have had lots of money put into them.

Believe me, if i could find a cadillac that i liked, i'd get it.
I hear that from alot of people that imports are alot more reliable then domstics, but around here, I see far more domestic cars that are 10years old, or older then imports.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Panther said:
I hear that from alot of people that imports are alot more reliable then domstics, but around here, I see far more domestic cars that are 10years old, or older then imports.....
I tend to agree with Panther...It's always been fasionable in this country to bash American cars and the leading consumer related magazines are the WORST offenders! I see plenty of mid sixties Cadillacs on the road and running great around here ( Seen any Toyotas that old lately? ) My Cadillac is 11 years old and reliable as hell and is more comfortable than ANY Import that I've seen. If Consumer Reports says it's not good...Buy it! 'cause Consumer Reports has little if anything to do with reality! They've been leading the anti-American industry parade for years ( Since the '70s! ) Generally I feel like this...If Ralph Nader says it's bad, It's good, If Consumer Reports says it's bad it's good, If J.D. Power says it's bad....It's good!

I hear a lot of talk about the poor quality of American products. Some is based in fact and a LOT of it is coming from people with an agenda whose opinions are of little real value!

1 - 20 of 188 Posts