Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I've been a Cadillac owner for 3 weeks now, and I'm sad to say, it has not been a pleasant time. It's really too bad because I've been a fan of the brand since the CTS launched in 2003. I realize a lot regard the brand as a bit "senior citizen", but I love the sharp angles and technology. In my opinion, they really are beautiful. I finally felt as though we were in a good enough financial position to buy one, so pulled the trigger. I have to admit, I'm really wondering if it was the right move. I'm interested in any thoughts or advice you might have.

Here is my timeline:

3/13 - I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD w/ Turbo (VIN: 3GYFNKE66BS556288) from Cadillac of Norwood in Norwood, Massachusetts. It was a beautiful car with 38,000 miles. This dealership is about 250 miles from my house, and although not ideal, I really wanted a specific model, with a specific interior/exterior color in AWD. My local dealers just don't have options for used cars, so I was willing to travel.

3/16 - 3/20 - Within days I noticed that the windshield wipers were not operable. Although high and low work, I do not have any intermittent options since the rain sense didn't work (that's what originally brought me to this forum). I immediately called Cadillac of Norwood who informed me that they would be happy to fix it, if it was broken. Sadly, I live over 250 miles away from the dealership so I decided to call my local Cadillac dealership to see if I could get an estimate.

4/1 - I took my car to Bill Dodge Cadillac of Westbrook, Maine. They confirmed that the rain sensor was broken, and specifically mentioned code u151a, and quoted me $170. $70 for the sensor, and $100 for the labor. I paid $50 that day as they wanted to be paid for the first 30 minutes of diagnostic time. I then scheduled a repair for 4/6. I immediately called Cadillac of Norwood who informed me that they would be happy to reimburse me for the repair, and they agreed it made more sense to have it done locally versus me spending 5 hours in a car, and waiting at their dealership, just for a $170 repair.

4/6 - Arrived for my appointment. After about an hour, the very lovely woman who works at Bill Dodge came out to tell me that there are two sensors, and apparently the one I need is not the one they ordered. She also said that the correct sensor was missing completely, and appeared as though it had been removed (red flag?!? Anyone?!?) Long story short, I will have to return. Scheduled a return appt. for 4/8.

4/8 - After about 45 minutes, the lovely woman came out again to inform me that they're having problems. Apparently they could not get the rain sensor to hold in place because of another missing part (missing clip?). After messing around it, they finally figured out that the windshield had been replaced and was not the original GM windshield. Apparently the sensor is a camera, and my windshield doesn't have the appropriate window for the camera. It's completely blind under a tinted black box. So in order to have working windshield wipers, I now need to replace the entire windshield. She also said I am required to pay for the hour labor ($100) and the part ($70), which they were happy to hand me in a small plastic bag, with a diagram. No, I'm not making this up.

Being that this is my first experience with the brand, I'm obviously feeling a little discouraged and sort of wish I had listened to my wife who was really pushing for the Mercedes ML350. But you know, I just love/d Caddy. Even my office has a diecast model of the CTS-V (which I was thinking I would buy after a few more promotions at work).

Here are my questions:

This is crappy, right? Am I wrong in being really angry? I get that mistakes happen, but this seems ridiculous.

1. How does Cadillac of Norwood (MA) sell a car with a Chinese windshield and non-working wipers and just not know? I purposefully avoided corner used car lots, and spent the extra money to buy from a Cadillac dealership thinking it would undergo some kind of "check". Apparently, I was wrong.

2. How did Bill Dodge Cadillac (Westbrook, ME) botch this up? Shouldn't a master Cadillac technician be trained to know that there are two rain sensors? Shouldn't they have wondered what was up when they first discovered it missing? Shouldn't they also be trained to know that non-OEM windshields cause an issue? You can very clearly see that every piece of glass on the car has a GM logo in the corner, EXCEPT the windshield, which has a different brand. So I have to pay for all the time they spent training their technician over the past week. In reality, that's what I'm paying for, because it wasn't fixed, and the part hasn't been installed. I know mistakes happen, but this should have been avoided. This just doesn't seem right to me, and asking me to pay for it and handing me the part with a diagram is not a world class experience.

So far, I have not paid anything other than my original $50, as I'm not sure what to do. I am angry, feel betrayed by the dealer who sold me the car, and feel like the second dealer who was working on the car is also taking me for a ride.

My contact information:

Matthew Higgins
Never post personal contact information in a worldwide public forum.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Have you questioned the selling Cadillac agency as to whether they are will to replace the windshield if you drive the car to their agency?

What kind of a used car warranty did the selling agency give you when you bought the car?

Look at the bright side; at least your service representative was an attractive, polite female. When I bought my new Mercedes CLK .... I was greeted by a surly SS interrogator at my first service!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sounds like an extremely minor event and I think you're overreacting big-time. The car still covered by a bumper-to-bumper warranty so what are you worried about ? Things happened to Cars and this is a four-year-old used car you purchased , always a risk.

I was out with a friend at the New York auto show who has a 2014 Audi A7 and he's getting a lemon law replacement on. Gorgeous new car with big problems. multiple times the entire braking system is locked up on him forcing them to call in a flatbed. Additionally my neighbor just treated himself to a brand-new A6. He had it for three days and it's back in the shop!! But the best is my other friend who purchased a used BMW 5 , although this one was only three years old with 25,000 miles .... The engine seized !! Pistons were hitting the top cylinder head he needed a whole new rebuilt engine !!

As I said you're overreacting to a minor problem with your SRX it's a great car enjoy it

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DG2 said:
Sounds like an extremely minor event and I think you're overreacting big-time. The car still covered by a bumper-to-bumper warranty so what are you worried about ? Things happened to Cars and this is a four-year-old used car you purchased , always a risk. I was out with a friend at the New York auto show who has a 2014 Audi A7 and he's getting a lemon law replacement on. Gorgeous new car with big problems. multiple times the entire braking system is locked up on him forcing them to call in a flatbed. Additionally my neighbor just treated himself to a brand-new A6. He had it for three days and it's back in the shop!! But the best is my other friend who purchased a used BMW 5 , although this one was only three years old with 25,000 miles .... The engine seized !! Pistons were hitting the top cylinder head he needed a whole new rebuilt engine !! As I said you're overreacting to a minor problem with your SRX it's a great car enjoy it
Bumper to bumper expired in December. 3 months before I bought it. Being charged for a repair and not having it done is minor? Being told to pay for the parts despite the fact they're unable to install them, and then handed over a plastic bag of parts? Really? I seriously had no idea how good I had it before. This just doesn't seem okay to me. But maybe I'm over-reacting and this is the norm with Caddy. I supposed it's entirely possible.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Sounds like an extremely minor event and I think you're overreacting big-time. The car still covered by a bumper-to-bumper warranty so what are you worried about ? Things happened to Cars and this is a four-year-old used car you purchased , always a risk.

I was out with a friend at the New York auto show who has a 2014 Audi A7 and he's getting a lemon law replacement on. Gorgeous new car with big problems. multiple times the entire braking system is locked up on him forcing them to call in a flatbed. Additionally my neighbor just treated himself to a brand-new A6. He had it for three days and it's back in the shop!! But the best is my other friend who purchased a used BMW 5 , although this one was only three years old with 25,000 miles .... The engine seized !! Pistons were hitting the top cylinder head he needed a whole new rebuilt engine !!

As I said you're overreacting to a minor problem with your SRX it's a great car enjoy it
I have many times expressed my personal experience with Audi , their cars and their dealers. Audi are very attractive ..... but deceptive! Especially if you buy the "superior German engineering" crap!

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
orconn said:
I have many times expressed my personal experience with Audi , their cars and their dealers. Audi are very attractive ..... but deceptive! Especially if you buy the "superior German engineering" crap!
Heh. Yea. My buddies are all BMW guys, so I hear all about the German engines. They're nice cars, but $1,000 spark plugs? Lmao So of course, they're having a field day with this issue. One even asked if he could come with me on my next repair so he could video tape it for YouTube. lol

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
You still, haven't answered if you have questioned the selling agency about their replacing the windshield.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
aquayonex said:
Bumper to bumper expired in December. 3 months before I bought it. Being charged for a repair and not having it done is minor? Being told to pay for the parts despite the fact they're unable to install them, and then handed over a plastic bag of parts? Really? I seriously had no idea how good I had it before. This just doesn't seem okay to me. But maybe I'm over-reacting and this is the norm with Caddy. I supposed it's entirely possible.
With all due respect , why did you buy a preowned car out of warranty and not negotiated an extended warranty??

Sorry to tell you my friend but you made a very bad move. For slightly more you could've gotten three-year-old SRX that was still covered under an extended warranty program. Got to do your homework

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I'm not understanding how you think buying another brand of car out of warranty would have avoided these kind of problems.

But I don't think you should be resposnible for labor or parts that didn't fix the problems your dealer said they would. They charge for diagnostics but that door swings both ways. They can't charge you for diagnostics that were wrong or incomplete and then charge you for parts or labor they said would fix the problem when they didn't.

Unless the dealer you bought from knowingly hid the issues from you, they should be willing to compensate you in some way even if not legally obligated.

I suggest you contact Cadillac Customer service by phone or in the forum here for that purpose to help you with both dealers (unless the selling dealer is not a Cadillac dealer).

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Do you have any kind of aftermarket warranty through the purchasing dealer? If not, maybe they'd accept it as a trade-in based on them selling you a faulty car? Depends on how much they prize their reputation. Might be time to make a little bit of a stink - just do it professionally and don't break any laws. I got a major corporation to play ball when I went to their facebook page, posted about my terrible experience, and told them I would post my terrible experience there every day until my problem was fixed. Just two days of this and they called me and fixed my problem.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
It sounds like the windshield was replaced with the wrong type (non rain sensing). If that is the case, the only cure would be to have the windshield replaced with the proper type (made by Guardian IIRC) or a good aftermarket like Pilkington. The selling dealership should be responsible for the cost IMO.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Wow, I feel your pain on the problems you have had.
I don't really know where to start.
I doubt that any of the 3 parties involved have done anything intentionally wrong.

The previous owner probably had the windshield replaced. Somehow the wrong window got installed.
Either he didn't notice that his sensor stopped working, didn't connect the fact it stopped after the replacement,
or he noticed, and the company made him a cash offer to live without his sensor working so they didn't have to re-install the window.
He then traded it in and the dealer never knew about it being wrong.

If it were a Cadillac Certified Pre-owned they would have had to make sure it worked. Because rain sensing is not a safety item, even if they knew, they are not automatically obliged to fix it.
Unless someone at the dealership specifically told you it had rain sense (Or listed it in an ad as such.), they really are not required to fix it. That is the "AS IS" part of a used car contract.:contract:
It sounds like they are a good dealer in that they offered to fix it. They are an amazingly GREAT dealer that they even offered to pay another dealer to fix it for you. Practically unheard of! Good on you Cadillac of Norwood!:thumbsup:

So that leaves us with the dealer who is actually trying to figure out what is wrong.
I don't know what the service diagnostic looks like for "Diagnosing rain sense not working".
If one of the steps is make sure there is no obstruction of the sensor,( In your case, the wrong window.) then they screwed up. If not, I really don't fault them either. The wrong windshield would not be one of the first things that come to my mind either. I don not fault them for wanting to be paid for their time, unless you find they did not follow the service diagnostic for the vehicle. :noidea:

Does it suck that you are left holding the bag? Sure!
None of this would be an issue if you were having the work done by the dealer who actually made money selling you the car! :bulb:
While I understand your reason for buying that far away, and not wanting to return to have some kinks worked out on the car, that is still the problem in the end. It appears the only way you will resolve this is with your money, or your time or both.

I also fail to see how any of this has anything to do with the make of car being bought. :hmm:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
The OP could have posted in the GM forum - Cadillac Customer Care.

A problem is that most of today's cars have so many bells and whistles that it takes a good half hour of just walking, kicking, feeling, sitting, reading, and fiddling before the test drive to make sure all the stuff works.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts

I disagree. While it may not be either dealers real fault, this is a safety issue. IMO, Norwood Cadillac sold you a vehicle with an improper part. Again, it's probably not intentional. But this is a cost that needs to be addressed.

I'd ask Norwood to cover the entire cost if a new windshield and the Rainsense parts...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts