Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 94 elderado with the northstar v8.its a florida car and its a very nice car.i picked it up cheap because the ac froze up and the kid couldnt afford to fix it.so in a pinch i ordered an ac delete for it.put it together and wouldnt ya know it the alt was froze up from heat also.so i picked up a new alt,put it on and all good.but i noticed the scent of coolant.didnt think to much about it cause of the isssues it had i just figured it was in my head.nop not in my head.the car overheats terrible.it will go through a gallon of water in less then 5 miles.fans are working fine.i pulled the thermostate out to see if maybe it was bad ,replaced that and no better.i do have steam comming from the exhaust but only when it gets to hot.there is no water in the oil either.if i sit with the car at idel it will stay fine.no overheatin at all.as soon as i drive it thats when it gets bad.somebody please help.i just lost my job,my lady is moving out and im already a single dad with 2 youngins.hope i have described good enough what its doing.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Sounds like headgaskets(HG) to me, get a test for combustion gases done on it and use the search feature to learn more about these problems....if its the HG its going to cost you between 1500-3000 to have the problem fixed depending on who does it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well first how many miles does it have??? Second you need to get the tests done and confirm if it is the HG, and hopefully a couple more members who have more hands on experience with that year of N* can chime in, I have very limited hands on experience with the mid 90's caddy's, but with what I know and what you've said its not looking good.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,099 Posts
A gallon of coolant in 5 minutes and no external leaks? Yeah the HG is breached bad. That kid knew what he was unloading.

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i was afaraid of....i messed with it tonight and here is what i found.if the car sits it will stay cool all day long with no problems.stays cool,but it still doesnt have very good heat.when the car sits and gets to operating temp and the fans come on she cools right down,when i hold it at a steady rpm of 2000 its cools down fast.the problem is when i drive it.it will get hot fast,put it in neutral rev it and it cools back down.also ive noticed that when i touch the hoses when it gets this hot the hoses arnt that hot.i can hold them and not get burnt.still no water in the oil and the car runs like a bastard!!its got 160,000 miles on it to.its just ashame if it is the head gaskets cause it really is a beautifull car in and out.the kid i got it from swears it never did this before and the kid he got it from said there was never any issues.so i think when the ac pump went and he limped it home is when it happend. but like i said i got a great deal on the car and if i cant do the head gasket myself im sure i could sell the brand new tires and rims on it and almost break even.but ide like some more insite before i do that.thanks for the help guys,first time owner of a cadi and have no clue on it.however if it was a mustang.....lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
To get an idea of whats out there if you want to try and get it fixed, check out northstarperformance.com, they specialize in HG in these cars, the owner is an active member here, and have had very positive reviews on their work. Now depending on where you are it might not be feasible, but if you bought the car right it might be worth it. However it sounds like money is likely tight, so I'm going to say that a 94 Eldo with 160k and likely blown HG may not be the right car for your situation right now, because after the HG's are fixed its likely going to require a fair amount of other stuff, suspension is the first thing that comes to mind. But if you do the work it needs it'll be a wonderful car......so spend some time searching and reading up to allow a more informed decision, and hopefully it all works out!

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i paid 600 for the car,and everything else has been maintained,sispenson,brakes,wheel bearings so it really is almost perfect except somebody ran a key down the driver door.it shifts like a dream and floats down the road.if i could fix it for under a grand ide do it,but from what im reading that may not be going to happen.also i live in jamestown ny and unsure about somebody to fix me up.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
If I lived in Jamestown, NY, I'd be all over that guy in London, Ontario (maybe that's who you're talking about...).

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he was just a local guy,he has been helping me and has offered to help for the repair but he has no idea how much its going to cost.he also offered my money back but i think i can do better if i part it out,or i may just sit on the car for a few weeks till i start my new job and fix it.its still up in the air...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Look up NorthstarPerformance, they're in London Ontario......developed a stud kit for these engines and have had very good reviews, read up in the N* section, the owner is 97EldoCoupe

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im talking with a local bone yard and they will take the car from me and give me all the body parts for my kia so i can get it fixed and on the road so i atleast have something to drive.hate to do it but im in a bit of a crunch right now.

·
Registered
94 elderado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i know,but like i said im in a bad spot right now,wasted the money on this cadi and my lady is moving out at the end of the month.im a single dad with 2 kids,wrecked my stang,lost my job and now my lady.looks arnt that important to me right now as reliability and the cheapest smartest way to get me wheels.trust me i hate this kia but after 4 years it has never once needed anything but maintance things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts