Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Stingroo 
#1 ·
Okay so.. if anyone here browses the FWD forum, you'll see my thread talking about how I was getting a '96 Cadillac Deville from my uncle. That's what my father told me, at least.

Well, it arrived to my house today. It needed to be towed because it had no battery, and needed a starter. When it got to my house and the tow truck was backing in, I saw the word "Brougham" on the rear. I almost fainted. lol

So now, as it turns out, according to the owner's manual (which is still in the car), I am now the very happy owner of a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. I am in love. However, it needs a few things:

1. It has no battery. That's not a problem though, as I can get one for it next week.
2. It supposedly needs a starter. There is a new one in the front seat.
3. I am told it MAY need a head job. How much is this supposed to cost? Supposedly roughly $1700. How accurate is that? I was also told it would almost be cheaper to put a new motor in it than to do the heads, but I don't know about that either.

Now as for what I want to do to the car...

So far the only thing I can think of is replacing the radio with a touch screen unit sometime in the future. Can it be done without messing up any electricals?

Any input is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on you new FWB! I'd wait to get the car running before planning anything like a top-end overhaul. These engines are quite durable and parts are plentiful and cheap, so even if it needs some engine work, it shouldn't break the bank. Post pics soon!

#3 ·
I have pics now. :)

After looking at the interior though, it definitely needs a new dash. It's cracking in a few spots, but it's not so bad that it's falling apart.

Here come some pics!

Every Cadillac needs a hood ornament shot. :)

The top was replaced right after my uncle originally bought it. That was in 2006.

#4 ·
Ooo, she has seen better days, but nothing a little TLC can't fix. Get some Leatherique for the seats and steering wheel to recondition them and make the soft as they were new. Scrubbing the top with some soap and a soft bristled brush should remove much of the dirt and gunk. Dish soap or some Simple Green will work great.

As for the radio, it can be switched out without screwing anything up. These are much simpler cars than Northstar powered cars. Also, I doubt it needs the head reworked unless it is well past the 250k mark. These cars are damn near indestructible and very few things go wrong mechanically on them. Also, there is a guy on here named TheFleetwoodGuy who can get you just about any part you need, like a new dashboard and the missing trim piece from the front bumper.

The starter on these is very simple if I remember right, just jack the car up and its right at the bottom.

Here is the radio in my Brougham. I did not install it, the last owner did, but they did a very good job so I kept it. It is the same size opening as the one in your car so if done right it can look like this.

And the factory radio.

#5 ·
That's really reassuring about the heads. I'm hoping that's true.

It also has no battery at the moment, so I need to get one before I can do anything, but I will be doing the leather polish in my spare time during the week, since I have some here, I think.

After I get up to school I'll probably be in contact with TheFleetwoodGuy. :D (I hope he reads this!)

#7 ·
Thanks Bro-Ham/Dave. :)

It's going to get a lot of love. It's practically genetic in my case. Like every car my dad has owned has been meticulously maintained. I'm starting to see that the trait is rubbing off. I've got like, a list of things going that I already want to do for it. Haha.

#8 ·
I would definately run the car before to check the head gasket. If the gasket is bad, and you have a repair manual, you could probably fix this yourself. I've never done a Cadillac, but Ive done them on Saabs, and they are not that hard of a job. Its just kind of like doing brakes, but with more steps. I did the entire job myself and it only cost me about $400. Like I said... I've never did one on a Cadillac, but Saabs have really NO room to get to bolts and things. I had a lot of scraped knuckles. A Cadi would seem easier.

#12 ·
This project is going to keep you busy!

Every good car with character needs a fitting name! A friend of mine has an old green Dodge Polara that he calls the mean green bugger machine. My yellow 79 deVille is known as both the tiki barge and Kon-Tiki named after the Inca(?) sun god and famous raft.

The more I look at your car the more I like it. It is a blank canvas - - you can fix it to the point that it drives and just go for it, you can make improvements as you desire or have the ability to pay for, and, it will keep you occupied either fixing it up or driving it to fun places. It is fun in any way you choose to have it. I think I need a car just like yours - it might keep me from drinking too much or watching too much TV. :) The pleasure a good automotive project can give a car person is fun to think about and fulfilling to actually carry out.

I know you'll figure out just the right name for your car. Have fun and the best of luck to you and please keep us posted! Dave

#13 ·
Yeah, like I was talking to my dad about it, and we started talking about what it would take to do suicide doors on it. Apparently the whole process can be done in a weekend by a good shop. And I have a cousin who does that sort of thing for a living. So something tells me I won't HAVE the money to be stupid and go drinking in college, and if I do, it'll be in a car fund. lol

THAT would surely give it some character. :)

Still not too sure about the name though. I think I'll hold off on that until after I get to drive it.

#14 ·
No suicide doors, please!

My friends have come up with some really good names for some of their past cars. One friend had a '76 Ford truck named Carlton and a '81 Pontiac Phoenix named Henry the Hatchback. A different friend had an old Mercury Topaz name Mortimer and we named a car owned by one of my Grandparent's friends Montlebert (its a '97 Grand Marquis, total old people car).

#17 ·
I got mine on CD and printed it out. That way I can study it at work (on the computer) if I need to and if i get the pages messed up i just print another. Also, i took the file to Office Depot and had them print my electrical and vacuum schematics on a 4ftx3ft page. VERY NICE when you are trying to trace wires.

#20 ·
So Sting, What's up with the Cad these days? I saw in another post you're not too excited about detailing the car in the heat but that's all part of the fun! :) I really liked your car when you first posted the pictures and I am crossing my fingers you have some good luck and lots of fun with it!

#21 ·
Well, unfortunately I have no way to jack the car up to do the starter right now.

But my dad and I have looked over it a few times, and we're pretty sure it doesn't need a head gasket. The oil was crystal clear when we checked it, and at perfect levels. So if it was experiencing any symptoms before my cousin gave it to me, it probably needs a water pump (says dad).

Also, since I don't have a battery yet, I can't check the mileage, but I happened to barely notice a window sticker from an oil change, and it said the next change was due at 96,xxx. Hoping that's pretty accurate. I'll find out soon though. Cheapest battery I've found for it so far is like $90. Hopefully I'll be able to get it running before I leave for college. But if not, that's okay too because I won't have funds to register it until after my grant disbursement comes in early September.

Waiting is killing me. :(

#24 ·
Well, have you considered telling the employers you're considering a career in the business and you're hard working and capable? Plus, you have a Cadillac you need to earn money for. Do whatever it takes! Good luck! I know you'll figure it out if you want it bad enough :)

#25 ·
Yeah, I've given up on getting a job down here, it's insane.

However I've been in contact with everyone and their mother on campus, to get a job at school while I'm there. So no matter what, I'll have the car with me by Christmas. But hopefully it'll be earlier.

I get like $1500 from my grants 2 weeks after school starts. I have to pay $600 toward medical insurance (required on campus), and $450 on my laptop to pay it off. That leaves me with ~$500 give or take a bit. Registering the car will almost eat all of that budget. So I need to save a little more for repair. Won't be too bad. All in all, I'll end up putting under $300 into the car to get it roadworthy. Pretty good deal I'd say.

Christmas or bust! (Or wait for the next $1500 check in March lol)

#26 ·
Aren't you covered under your parent's medical insurance? I am covered under my parent's policy as long as I am a full time student.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.