Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo to all, Just purchased a 1998 concours loaded. The car is leaking oil but I cannot find anything on the engine. I've been told that the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced. Also, after my purchase I discovered the head gasket problem, is there a certain milage this happens? I am currently at 134000. Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,041 Posts
Re: New Cadillac owner

Wrong forum - this is for the new system: Cadillac User Experience. Moved to Deville.

1998 - 1999 Northstars are the worst for head gasket failure due to the threads in the cylinder block head bolt holes failing. You must insert or stud the block to correct the problem. Engine out the bottom of the car.

Engine must also be out of the car to replace the oil pan formed silicone seal. Isolate the leak before you start ripping apart stuff. There are other sources of oil leaks.

Go to Engines, Northstar Performance and read the sticky posts on the first threads page. That's only the beginning. You will NEED a real GM/Helm service manual (powertrain and service set)(ebay or www.helminc.com) and/or a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com .

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
One word of caution. A halfcase leak is often misdiagnosed as an oil pan leak.

There is no "certain mileage" when a HG fails. Some go early, some late and some never. :noidea: Are you doing the repair yourself? If not, call Joe Blau at Midwest Cadillac Repair in Palatine, 847-776-1234. At last count I think he had repair over 213 so he knows what he's doing and has about the best price around and a great reputation.

·
Registered
1999 Deville D'Elegance
39 Posts
Curious...what is a halfcase leak? Is this the rear main seal? Isn't the rear main seal the seal between the engine and the tranny? I, as well, have a little oil leak, looks like the oil pan gasket, but I'm barely loosing half a quart between oil changes, so I've let it go (bad owner, me)

·
Registered
2006 DTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of your responses. This is my first caddy as well as my dream car and I want to know it inside and out.
Again, thank you.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,222 Posts
I appreciate all of your responses. This is my first caddy as well as my dream car and I want to know it inside and out.
Again, thank you.
------------------
I want to know it inside and out.
if that's true -
you need to read the Owners Manual - cover to cover - at least twice -

then you need to get the Factory Service Manual -
ebay is a good source -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The owners manual is the one that you keep on the glove box, that tells you how to use all of the vehicles features, check the fluids..... Basic stuff.

The FSM is the one the dealership uses. It contains everything you need to know to maintain, diagnose, disassemble, reassemble, and repair every part of the vehicle.

Owners manual - a couple hundred pages.

FSM - well over a thousand, usually in several volumes.

An FSM is NOT to be confused with inadequate and generic Haynes and Chiltons repair manuals.

·
20,222 Posts
wait what's the difference between Owners Manual and Factory Service Manual??!!?
---------------------------------
the Owners Manual tells you all about the features - and how they work -

the FSM tells you how to diagnose and fix everything on the car -

·
Registered
1999 Deville D'Elegance
39 Posts
Never have liked ebay too much, you have to pay close attention. It will say "factory service manual" and only cost %25...then the next item says the same thing and its $95. I need one! As my 99 Deville is showing its age.

I would expect to pay $100 for a legit set, correct? And I'm safe to assume, buying from ebay, that there's no pages missing or oil spilled all over it? I'm thinking brand new is the way to go.

Where did you buy yours from? Brand new? How much, and if it was used, was it a complete set?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
you should do MUCH better than $100 for a set of '99 manuals on Ebay.

Generally they are in pretty good condition, but assume nothing. Read the description and ask the seller questions if you have any.

A new set from Helm Inc. is $135 (last time I checked).

·
20,222 Posts
Never have liked ebay too much, you have to pay close attention. It will say "factory service manual" and only cost %25...then the next item says the same thing and its $95. I need one! As my 99 Deville is showing its age.

I would expect to pay $100 for a legit set, correct? And I'm safe to assume, buying from ebay, that there's no pages missing or oil spilled all over it? I'm thinking brand new is the way to go.

Where did you buy yours from? Brand new? How much, and if it was used, was it a complete set?
-----------------
YES - there is a "trick" to buying on ebay -

1 - know exactly what you are looking for -

2 - look at the sellers "feedback" -
if they have a lot of sales - and 100% feedback - it is a safe deal -

here ya go -
the 1999 Deville is a 2 volume set - and YES - you need BOTH books -

I would consider this a GREAT deal -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-CADILL...anuals_Literature&hash=item56516d7829&vxp=mtr

both books - and they look to be in pristine condition -
$24.99 + $8.99 shipping = $33.98

the seller has made 1161 deals - and has 100% positive feedback -
this is about as safe as it gets - this is the set I would jump on - NOW -

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
For your oil leak, check your engine oil cooler lines. They run from the oil filter adapter to the passenger radiator tank. They tend to leak profusely as the rubber ages.

·
Registered
None for now ;)
208 Posts
thank u guys for the information and VERY quick replies and i didn't even know about FSM's guess now i know what my caddy and tahoe are missing the FSM :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts