Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I recently found a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham for a very fair cost and was just wanting to get some opinions.
First off- It has the HT4100 (ugh), however I do plan on getting rid of it ASAP. What engine would be the best to swap in(looking for fuel economy(as much as can be had in a land yacht) a little get up and go, reliability and ease of swap. I'm also looking at dropping the olds diesel in because as bad of rap as these engines have they are diesels and with proper care it should do ok. As for the power in the olds I'm thinking a possible FI project(forced induction) if that would be possible.
The car I found has a little bit of rust bubbling behind the door handles but aside from that its very nice(roof has NO cracks!)
I'm also considering repainting it(it is a met light blue and I would like black) Would it be possible to paint the vinyl roof with something like Krylon Fusion(plastic paint) instead of redoing it?
I will have some pics up in the next couple days.
Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Looking forward to the picture but with all the work both mechanical and cosmetic doesn't it make sense to just buy a new car?

The body work and paint is usually inexpensive if you do the body work yourself and give the paint over to maaco on one of their specials...but a new engine? and not a stock one at that?

That I really would be hestitant of ....with todays computers etc...it could be a real nightmare.....

If your a good tech I'm sure you could pull it off but it still seems like a lot of work...

Stay with the stock setup?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well the car is cheap enough that it will make up for the body/paint work(I plan on doing both myself, no point paying someone else for something I could do myself :p) The engine swap is planned because I like working on my cars and what better way to make sure everything is the way I like it. And the comment on the computers...well that shouldn't be too much of an issue, I work in computers(another future project is a CarPC)
*Edit* One thing I forgot to mention is this car also has a moonroof. I'm not sure if it's a factory one or an addon job but it seems to be quite large in comparison with most moonroofs.

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Well then it sounds good!

Best of luck and I know I'll be watching ....and looking forward to the photos you post.

JB

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
An Olds Diesel would be really cool,especially if you turbocharged it.But, the stock diesel makes the HT4100 look like a Mclaren F1.

I'd go with an LT1. Its cheap,and relatively easy to swap from what ive heard. Plus its 260hp, the HT4100 is only 135hp. I know i drive one everyday.

You could also go with something a bit more exotic than that...

As far the vinyl top,get it redone in black,its not that expensive and you can do it yourself if youre handy. Spray painting it would probably look aweful.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
589 Posts
If you're not out for speed, go for a 4100 LONG BLOCK and keep everything stock. Looking around for a long block for my wife's Chrysler with the 2.7 motor which has the same bad rap as the 4100, I found that re-man long blocks are relatively cheap, especially if you hunt around for a house with a good guarantee and are willing to do the work yourself.
I'm not sure of the exact cost for an all-up 4100 long block Cadillac at a dealer, for example, but a 2.7 Chrysler (actually a Mitsubishi motor !) would set you back nearly 8 large at the dealer. Yet Accurate Engines in Michigan sells them at around 2 1/2 plus core.
Some others run around 3 to 4.
Otherwise the LT1 simply can't be beat.
And if you really want some oomph behind it, try one of Carolina Performance Transmisions' Stage II units like I had installed in my 1995 Fleetwood - primarily for the PopUp RV we tow.
But with the high stall torque converter which lets the LT1 wind up toward its peak torque band, that two-tons plus really moves off the line FAST when you want to. The other side benefit is almost NO creep at stoplights and very gentle startup on ice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the top- What would need to be used for the material for the top if I were to redo it in black?
Engine- The reason I want to replace it is because of the bad rap these engines have as well as pitiful power(I plan on possibly towing a small camper ie 15' with it and with a 135hp engine I don't think that will cut it especially given the amount of hills here.
How much am I looking at for an LT1 swap(Parts) cost wise?
Also I forgot to mention I need to get an alternator for it because someone had broken into the storage yard and stolen it(who the hell steals an alternator??)
Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
On the top- What would need to be used for the material for the top if I were to redo it in black?
Engine- The reason I want to replace it is because of the bad rap these engines have as well as pitiful power(I plan on possibly towing a small camper ie 15' with it and with a 135hp engine I don't think that will cut it especially given the amount of hills here.
How much am I looking at for an LT1 swap(Parts) cost wise?
Also I forgot to mention I need to get an alternator for it because someone had broken into the storage yard and stolen it(who the hell steals an alternator??)
Thanks for your help :)

I'd figure on $1500 for a good LT1 with trans and all accessories. Figure a couple over 100k miles. Plus install and custom fab stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts