Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a first time cadillac owner. Three weeks ago I purchased a 1999 STS with 60,000 miles and with the help of this forum I spent months looking for the right vehicle using information I found here to make an informed decision. Things such as insisting on vehicle service records, no green coolant, running the on board diagnostics, high speed vibration, etc. I had the confidence to have some idea about buying one of these complicated vehicles. Living in South Florida, and especially during the stinking hot summers, I could no longer live with a dark color car. Previous car 1987 BLACK MB 420 SEL. I found a almost flawless White STS with a dark blue interior (only dark blue interior I EVER saw) on EBAY no less at a local dealer. After an hour of "Cadillacforums" inspection and an extended test drive I was signing on the dotted line.
I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the perfomance and function of the is car compared to anything else I have driven including a test drive in a BMW 750il.
The first thing I learned is on a two lane road when passing, pull out into the oncoming lane before you stomp on it unless you want the car in front of you as part of your grill work. Things happen really fast at 5000 RPM.
This introduction may be a little long winded but The bottom line is this forum and all it's contributors were a GREAT help to me and I hope to do some of my own.

Thanks Again,

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Welcome to the Asylum Privateer. Post some pics of that sweet STS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome! Have a fun time with the caddy and you're right. There's a lot of smart people here!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome!! Thanks for signing up.......

Was the 750iL faster or slower than the STS....... I have always admired those cars, are the STS's better, IYO........

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
W E L C O M E
Nice STS > So what are some of the things you like about your STS that made you choose a Cadillac over a BMW ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SoundAdvantage said:
W E L C O M E
Nice STS > So what are some of the things you like about your STS that made you choose a Cadillac over a BMW ?
Well, The BMW was actually a couple of thousand $ less. It was a great ride and I took it over to my previous MB mechanic. He has all the work he can handle in West Palm Beach and has allways treated me fairly for the six years I had the 420 SEL. He gave me a frightning description of the cost of maintence and repairs of the 750il. He discribed the 12 cyl. engine as TWO 6 cyl. engines mated together. Two complete ingition systems, computer systems, fuel systems, etc. He said when they run well they are great but when there is a failure the cost of repair can be staggering. I will say it was a great machine but I was not ready to face that without a winning lottery ticket. It was very fast and stable out of my upkeep budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elwesso said:
Welcome!! Thanks for signing up.......

Was the 750iL faster or slower than the STS....... I have always admired those cars, are the STS's better, IYO........
I would sat the interior appointments may have been a little better quality. It was of course RWD and had a different feel when "crushing the rug" especially on a turn such as an on ramp of the interstate. It was much more familar to me since my previous car was RWD. Power seemed the same but the Cadillac was noticabley quieter. The "big" BMW was an awesome machine but where I live it seems every swinging d*** has a Beemer and a Rolex. You can't sling a dead Jag without hitting one. I wanted to be a little off the beaten path. Very happy so far!!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well....... Congrats on your new ride....... I really hope you enjoy it.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts