Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a new battery and found out the only place to get it is at the dealership.

can i install it myself or should i let them do it for $25?

what i'm asking is, is there something like a programming issue or something? my old girlfriend has a newer bug and we changed the battery and had to go to the dealership for them to reprogram somthing because they needed to hook it up to something to properly change the battery... or so they say

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
How many miles? This is covered by warranty.

If not it doesn't have to be an AC Delco. Just make sure the dimensions are the same and side terminals. I had mine replaced after one year. Delco sucks IMO. Yes it's an easy DIY.:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got 50,000 miles on it.

whats a good battery to get besides AC delco? i was looking at getting an optima but it wont fit!

·
Registered
2007 CTS
103 Posts
There are 3 major players now in the U.S. battery market. You still can find a few independents but they are few and far between. if you buy a battery from a auto parts or big box retailer you can be 99% sure it will be one of the following

exide
johnson control aka interstate
east penn aka dekka
delphi- recently purchased by johnson control
douglas - purchased by east penn

The Optimas claim to outlast all other batteries by a two-to-one margin and they have some stats to back it up. The funny thing is they do not have as good of a warranty as the Duralast Gold batteries from AutoZone. Both have the 36 month free replacement, but Optima only gives you 36 more months for prorated replacement where the Duralast Gold goes 60 additional months for prorated replacement - that a total of 8 years vs. 6 years. And the Duralast Gold is only $70.00 vs. the $140 for the Optima.

My take on it is get as much warranty for your dollar as possible. I just can't see spending the extra $$$ for the Optima when other batteries out there have a very similar warranty.

The above research was done on my 2002 truck, but should still apply in this case. Only issue is I think the CTS battery size will be a difficult one to find. If not going back with an AC Delco, I'd put it in myself to make sure of the fit. Nothing I know of that would complicate the install of the battery on the CTS. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The Optima battery is AGM technology and all the rest are flooded cells. AGM batteries are superior to flooded cell batteries in all important aspects except that they are very vulnerable to float charging at too high a voltage. The internal resistance of AGM batteries is so low that the cold cranking characteristics are out of sight. They can be recharged at the same rate they are discharged. You can shoot them with a high powered rifle and not only will they not leak they will still work. They can be shipped through the U.S. Mail because they are not classified as HazMat. The posts on the top can be judiciously pruned to clear the hood on a CTS.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help everyone, i just took it to the stealership & had them put in a ac delco w/ a 6 yr warranty.

i didn't wanna go through the hassle...

·
Registered
2007 CTS
103 Posts
The Optima battery is AGM technology and all the rest are flooded cells. AGM batteries are superior to flooded cell batteries in all important aspects except that they are very vulnerable to float charging at too high a voltage. The internal resistance of AGM batteries is so low that the cold cranking characteristics are out of sight. They can be recharged at the same rate they are discharged. You can shoot them with a high powered rifle and not only will they not leak they will still work. They can be shipped through the U.S. Mail because they are not classified as HazMat. The posts on the top can be judiciously pruned to clear the hood on a CTS.
Good information to know. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
If you can find a non-sealed battery (the kind you have to periodically add water to) that is the kind I would get. I have had one in my Maxima for almost 8 years now, 170k miles. I dont know if they sell those anymore though.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
AGM bateries are sealed but have a safety valve. They contain a system that recombines the gases from charging so water never needs to be added. Over the life of the battery, which may be as much as ten years, they lose less than 1% of the liguid. Their big downside is that they are expensive.

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Buy the battery with the longest free replacement warranty, then take it back once the warranty is about up and get a new one.

·
Registered
2015 SRX4 Luxury
621 Posts
thanks for the help everyone, i just took it to the stealership & had them put in a ac delco w/ a 6 yr warranty.

i didn't wanna go through the hassle...
Can I ask what the dealer charged you for the battery...I'm getting a new one tomorrow!

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS Luxury Black/Black
366 Posts
other than Optima, are there any other AGM batteries that have side terminal posts? i knwo the Optima can be mounted in any position. thats about as much as i know.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
That is exactly what I did Koz.

I installed an Optima Yellow top and carefully used the hand held grinder to take off half of the top terminals. She fit like a glove with hood clearance to spare.

The AGM spiral cell technology of the Optima and its cold cranking amps cannot be beat for $140.00 and I have used Optima's on all of my vehicles without fail.

But I'll let you put a slug into yours with your .30/.06 and report back the results.:duck:

·
Registered
2015 SRX4 Luxury
621 Posts
OK, went to the dealership today and they raped me....I mean charged me $206 for a freakin battery!!!! I don't get it, why do these batteries cost so damn much from the dealer?? 6 year warranty?? My original is only four years old...what makes them think this one will last 6? Anyway, thought I would share.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
OK, went to the dealership today and they raped me....I mean charged me $206 for a freakin battery!!!! I don't get it, why do these batteries cost so damn much from the dealer?? 6 year warranty?? My original is only four years old...what makes them think this one will last 6? Anyway, thought I would share.

Hindsight now but my advice is not to buy an AC Delco but an aftermarket name brand battery for less than half that price.:yup:

·
Registered
2003 CTS
48 Posts
after doing some reading here does anyone know of a place in La area I can get a battery for my 03? I really need a new battery but the stealership prices i hope not....
?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i paid 120 for my optima in my truck 3 years ago and it is still perfect... i got a killer deal on it,,,was actually in the line 4 a battery at canadian tire and i ran into the owner of 1 of the local car audio shops.. he saw that battery and asked how much it was..i said 130 or 140... he sail he has a optima yellow top... 120 cash... DONE... i just left the battery in the line and walked away lol
anyway.. go optima if it will fit...i measured mine and it should fit...looked like it has enough clearence

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lightdog555

A good discount auto parts distributor in the Los Angeles area where you can get an AC Delco 6yr warranty maintenance free battery like the one your CTS came with is C&C Auto Distributors in Long Beach. They are located near Jesse Jame's shop. If you care to replace your own battery (like I did), you can pick up a fresh date battery for about $95.00 with tax.

I checked around for a good deal and this was the best I could find. Would have liked to get an Optima, but they don't make a size 101 that fits the CTS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts