Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening folks,

Joined to ask about this ongoing issue with my wife's 2006 CTS 2.8L V6. Low mileage in the 50ks, she babied her car since we bought it from the first owner. About 6 or so months ago this problem has come up sporadically(3rd time today). She drives to work, 8 hours later the vehicle is totally dead... no chimes, no cranks, no dash lights. Picked up a new battery under warranty for her 2 months ago. At the same time I had the alternator tested, all good.

Vehicle was fine yesterday, today before church... same exact problem, totally dead. Battery voltage 12.7, checked the fuses, removed side terminals and there was no corrosion present. Connected the positive and as soon the negative touched while attaching the bolt, door chime, dash light everything came back. Vehicle started on first key...

I am retired and before I start looking for a mechanic I'd like to find out if perhaps I can fix this. Everyone I describe the problem is puzzled, some said I have a loose ground somewhere but it starts up after I remove the terminals.

Appreciate your help and suggestions.

Lev

Electrical wiring Electricity Audio equipment Gas Cable

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took it for Emissions Inspection today... well, VEHICLE'S COMPUTER SYSTEM IS NOT READY TO BE TESTED. No codes, my OBD reader has nothing, no engine check lights.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
1,182 Posts
When battery is disconnected or if OBD codes are cleared, your car will not be ready for an emissions test. You need to drive 100 to 200 miles to get the car's computer to cycle thru a series of self resets. I wish the owners' manuals would say that.

With regard to your dying battery: You can have a faulty alternator which can kill your batteries, but do not indicate a problem when tested. It would occasionally not charge, but then be okay for a while. I have had this happen for 5 years and it drove me crazy. Finally, after 4 batteries, the alternator totally failed. No problems after an alternator replacement, and battery was able to be recharged.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yessir, you are absolutely right about the need to drive for a while before ready for emissions inspections. I have since learned that from couple of friends and a neighbor as well who we bought the car from.

With regard to your dying battery:
The battery is not dying, 12.7V is exactly what a healthy battery should be if the engine is not on. The problem is that the car was totally dead with a healthy battery... no dash lights, chimes, nothing until I took the terminals off and put them back on. Started up without a jump or anything on first key. That is the puzzle :D

Your reply is much appreciated!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts