Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the alternator on my '85 deville, the voltage regulator was bad on the old one, getting pulsing lights and such. Since I have put the new one in i smell something burning when the heat is on. When i pop the hood it is obvious that it is the new alternator and it is extremely hot to the touch! I dont ever remember the old one getting that hot, so what is the deal is it just the design of the new alternator that it doesnt cool as well as my old one or is there something wrong here? and if this is normal how long will it take for the burning smell to go away?:hmm:

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
You need access to test equipment to answer this question. Without would be a guess. If you don't have a reasonable charge in the battery the new alternator can be ruined. Also some batteries will sit and eat up 20,30,40 amperes just to keep them at the regulator setting. This will kill a perfectly good alternator too. The battery should be charged and load tested whenever replacing an alternator. If the batt sits and pulls a lot of current even after recharge then it is toast.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The Ape Man said:
You need access to test equipment to answer this question. Without would be a guess. If you don't have a reasonable charge in the battery the new alternator can be ruined. Also some batteries will sit and eat up 20,30,40 amperes just to keep them at the regulator setting. This will kill a perfectly good alternator too. The battery should be charged and load tested whenever replacing an alternator. If the batt sits and pulls a lot of current even after recharge then it is toast.
Totally agree. You might also want to dump the original alternator in lieu of the '86 model. I seem to recall the '85 being a 108amp and the '86 being a 120amp. I recall having a lot of problems with the '85 ones and changing them out for the newer model. Plus, as I recall, the 120amp unit also had much better output at idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts