Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
They look nice, but I don't think they are worth the money.

Like you said, there is alot of open space and I don't like that. My 24" rims don't have awhole lot of open space and I have absolutely no brake dust which amazes me because I have always had serious brake dust issues when I had 20's on my STS and 18's on my old eclipse spyder.

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
Being that its a 1pc cast wheel, there isn't really any strength spots in the wheel. If you look at it closer, it has a lot of weak spots. I had a similar set up a while back and hit a pothole, the face of the wheel shattered up the front and down the lip. I had to buy a new wheel, tire and have my rear axle fixed. We could barely get it on a tow truck. The same wheel is now on showcase in a wheel shop in California.

If you do decide to buy them, be careful around pot holes!

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great input guys! Speaking of chrome, I have noticed that the Lexani and Assanti wheels look "brighter" than most. I believe they mfg their products in Asia somewhere? Do they have a different process for chroming?

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
Some great input guys! Speaking of chrome, I have noticed that the Lexani and Assanti wheels look "brighter" than most. I believe they mfg their products in Asia somewhere? Do they have a different process for chroming?
Honestly, most wheels that are mass produced (Giovanna, Dropstars, Lexani, Asanti, TIS, American Racing, D'vinci, etc) you are going to get cheap quality from lack of attention. Thats the reason you hear the poor feedback so much, even on these forums. A lot of the 1 piece guys don't spend the extra money to multiply layers of chrome or care to build a higher strength wheel. If you want quality, you'll have to spend the $9k-15k+ from a company who has remarkable craftsmanship, who stands behind their product, guarantees satisfaction, and most importantly in the case that it breaks, it will be fixed immediately. You never hear chrome peeling problems from companies like HRE Wheels, Lowenhart, Strut grilles, etc.

I guess it all comes back down to the saying, you get what you pay for. Which in this industry especially is extremely true. Oh, and to answer your question... the "brighter" look can be many things including the photography.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Asanti's cheap Nope Quality go eith Asanti's or MHT Those dropstars can be had with tires for 6,500 but I wont have them

D

·
0 Posts
Well I've kinda wondered into this forum purely for speculative reasons and the fact that I've been banned from the lounge (thanks Rolex). One thing that I've noticed about you Escalade guys is that your rides all look basically the same. Whether you have 20"'s or 28's or whatever, I dont think anyone really pays attention. At least I dont. The one common denomitator which all Escalades seem to share is that none actually look like a tough truck. Lift 'em, put some mudders on them. An Escalade would look tough as nails lifted with a mean set of wheels/tires (non bling) -OR- leave em stock for the love of god. Just some advice from a "real" car guy gents. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
Asanti's cheap Nope Quality go eith Asanti's or MHT Those dropstars can be had with tires for 6,500 but I wont have them
Its not that I'm ranting on Asanti or any of the other companies. Its just simply the truth and I know this from working in the industry for a long time. I can post a countless amount of pictures of bent, chrome peeling, and cracked wheels from each of those brands and others more. Its not just me, a lot of people will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not that I'm ranting on Asanti or any of the other companies. Its just simply the truth and I know this from working in the industry for a long time. I can post a countless amount of pictures of bent, chrome peeling, and cracked wheels from each of those brands and others more. Its not just me, a lot of people will tell you the same thing.
Thanks Synergetic for your candor. I agree with the quality issue. I can appreciate the fact that you get what you pay for. It's simply sad that you cannot find quality in the $7000-$9000 range. That's not cheap. Why does it have to be $10k-$15K? I do understand that it takes more to mfg a 3 piece wheel than a 1 piece. Are the material costs and labor really that much more expensive?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Well I've kinda wondered into this forum purely for speculative reasons and the fact that I've been banned from the lounge (thanks Rolex). One thing that I've noticed about you Escalade guys is that your rides all look basically the same. Whether you have 20"'s or 28's or whatever, I dont think anyone really pays attention. At least I dont. The one common denomitator which all Escalades seem to share is that none actually look like a tough truck. Lift 'em, put some mudders on them. An Escalade would look tough as nails lifted with a mean set of wheels/tires (non bling) -OR- leave em stock for the love of god. Just some advice from a "real" car guy gents. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your opinion, and for adding nothing to this thread. :(

·
Registered
03 ESV
91 Posts
I have 24" Asanti's AF111 with the Gator engraving, these wheels cost over 10,000 about a year ago ,they leak air constantly and I've two rims on pot holes and the customer service stinks :ripped:

·
Registered
02 ESCALADE
1,529 Posts
Thanks Synergetic for your candor. I agree with the quality issue. I can appreciate the fact that you get what you pay for. It's simply sad that you cannot find quality in the $7000-$9000 range. That's not cheap. Why does it have to be $10k-$15K? I do understand that it takes more to mfg a 3 piece wheel than a 1 piece. Are the material costs and labor really that much more expensive?
Good question. For one, I feel its the way the market is currently valued at along with a blend of your perception in value towards your own product as a company. As you know just from looking at the DropStars products, those wheels alone are priced at nearly $1500-$1800/each in stores for the 26" diameter - your looking at almost $8000 after tax. You can find them cheaper, but thats what their priced around. Like someone already mentioned in this thread, they have had multiple poor experiences with the company, which tells where the quality stands for that specific price range and brand apparently. Thats not just the DropStars brand, thats American Racing who manufacturers a long list of "well known" wheel brands.

I don't know the exact process step by step to cast a 1 piece wheel and I'm sure each company has a different routine to it, but to put it in a basic explanation, its like distributing your own product. Its manufactured overseas (usually Asia), shipped in bulk by container, then shipped from the facility to distributors/dealers/customers. Once they are sitting on an expensive inventory, they try to move it as quick as possible. Thats when its becomes a game between these guys to sell the most at the most expensive possible with an unreliable backed commitment.

Having your products manufactured overseas is an advantage in a lot of cases like cell phones, televisions, and other mass produced products but the manufactures overseas don't have that quality control so you can have bubbling chrome, pitted edges, unnoticed strength areas, etc. So in the case that your product fails, your putting your customer (driver) along with their passengers and other vehicles on the road at risk. Apposed to a three piece structure, its built by forged aluminum material and has specific regions of strength. The three piece wheel consists of 2 outer pieces and 1 center piece all held precisely together by high strength fasteners (around 30). If you look at wheels today, most will wonder why the majority of the wheels will have a round pattern of bolts going around the outer barrel of the wheel. For 1 piece wheels, thats a way of immitating the structure of a three piece wheel. For three piece wheels, thats one of the high strength regions of the wheel. At that region of the wheel, you have 3 layers of forged aluminum sealed together by high strength bolts which prevents the issue of the casted metal basically shattering like glass.

The manufacturing costs between a one piece and three piece wheel is a considerably huge difference. Like I said, one piece wheels are manufactured overseas in bulk which makes each wheel even cheaper, obviously. Three piece wheels are usually built in house, meaning everything including the actual machining is completed under one roof. In my opinion, thats the only way to guarantee a quality product to your customers. But the cost of metal/materials, cost of machines, chrome/painting, assembling, testing, hardware, etc is a huge difference than cutting a check overseas for an order in bulk at $50/wheel. Not to mention, the cost of metal in the US will run you 5x, maybe 10x more but these three piece guys pay it because its quality compared to the metal you would get overseas. Not all three piece guys have quality wheels though. A lot of them use bolts that are made overseas so they can brand their logo into each bolt... thats cool, but its not safe and your going to have bolts flying out while your driving. That causes leaking, less strength, and if enough bolts release themselves (due to lack of strength), you got a wheel thats going to crumble between three pieces while your driving.

Look at the Strut grilles for one. They have proven themselves as a brand and as a product, thats why they are able to mark their prices higher than their competition and still sell successfully. We all know that their grilles are beautiful and there is nothing like it, thats why people buy it at $4000-$35,000 a package. The same thing goes with wheels. However, the market is flooded with companies who don't really offer "luxury" wheels but still brand their product as "luxury." The majority of the industries are alike. Take automobiles for example... you know when you spend $325,000 on a brand new Ferrari F430 Spyder, your going to be driving an unparalleled machine. Its not just a statement, everybody including yourself will know that nothing else performs as well on our streets, pretty much, except a few other vehicles that most will consider not street legal. But its for damn sure that no Honda Civic (low end wheel) will perform as well as a Ferrari F430 Spyder (high end wheel).

My 2 cents.

I have 24" Asanti's AF111 with the Gator engraving, these wheels cost over 10,000 about a year ago ,they leak air constantly and I've two rims on pot holes and the customer service stinks :ripped:
Exactly my point. Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good question. For one, I feel its the way the market is currently valued at along with a blend of your perception in value towards your own product as a company. As you know just from looking at the DropStars products, those wheels alone are priced at nearly $1500-$1800/each in stores for the 26" diameter - your looking at almost $8000 after tax. You can find them cheaper, but thats what their priced around. Like someone already mentioned in this thread, they have had multiple poor experiences with the company, which tells where the quality stands for that specific price range and brand apparently. Thats not just the DropStars brand, thats American Racing who manufacturers a long list of "well known" wheel brands.

I don't know the exact process step by step to cast a 1 piece wheel and I'm sure each company has a different routine to it, but to put it in a basic explanation, its like distributing your own product. Its manufactured overseas (usually Asia), shipped in bulk by container, then shipped from the facility to distributors/dealers/customers. Once they are sitting on an expensive inventory, they try to move it as quick as possible. Thats when its becomes a game between these guys to sell the most at the most expensive possible with an unreliable backed commitment.

Having your products manufactured overseas is an advantage in a lot of cases like cell phones, televisions, and other mass produced products but the manufactures overseas don't have that quality control so you can have bubbling chrome, pitted edges, unnoticed strength areas, etc. So in the case that your product fails, your putting your customer (driver) along with their passengers and other vehicles on the road at risk. Apposed to a three piece structure, its built by forged aluminum material and has specific regions of strength. The three piece wheel consists of 2 outer pieces and 1 center piece all held precisely together by high strength fasteners (around 30). If you look at wheels today, most will wonder why the majority of the wheels will have a round pattern of bolts going around the outer barrel of the wheel. For 1 piece wheels, thats a way of immitating the structure of a three piece wheel. For three piece wheels, thats one of the high strength regions of the wheel. At that region of the wheel, you have 3 layers of forged aluminum sealed together by high strength bolts which prevents the issue of the casted metal basically shattering like glass.

The manufacturing costs between a one piece and three piece wheel is a considerably huge difference. Like I said, one piece wheels are manufactured overseas in bulk which makes each wheel even cheaper, obviously. Three piece wheels are usually built in house, meaning everything including the actual machining is completed under one roof. In my opinion, thats the only way to guarantee a quality product to your customers. But the cost of metal/materials, cost of machines, chrome/painting, assembling, testing, hardware, etc is a huge difference than cutting a check overseas for an order in bulk at $50/wheel. Not to mention, the cost of metal in the US will run you 5x, maybe 10x more but these three piece guys pay it because its quality compared to the metal you would get overseas. Not all three piece guys have quality wheels though. A lot of them use bolts that are made overseas so they can brand their logo into each bolt... thats cool, but its not safe and your going to have bolts flying out while your driving. That causes leaking, less strength, and if enough bolts release themselves (due to lack of strength), you got a wheel thats going to crumble between three pieces while your driving.

Look at the Strut grilles for one. They have proven themselves as a brand and as a product, thats why they are able to mark their prices higher than their competition and still sell successfully. We all know that their grilles are beautiful and there is nothing like it, thats why people buy it at $4000-$35,000 a package. The same thing goes with wheels. However, the market is flooded with companies who don't really offer "luxury" wheels but still brand their product as "luxury." The majority of the industries are alike. Take automobiles for example... you know when you spend $325,000 on a brand new Ferrari F430 Spyder, your going to be driving an unparalleled machine. Its not just a statement, everybody including yourself will know that nothing else performs as well on our streets, pretty much, except a few other vehicles that most will consider not street legal. But its for damn sure that no Honda Civic (low end wheel) will perform as well as a Ferrari F430 Spyder (high end wheel).

My 2 cents.

Exactly my point. Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. You appear to have some knowledge and credibility on the topic. What do you consider to be a good quality 3 piece wheel in the 24" -26" category?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts