Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I'm a little disappointed to report that I experienced some fairly significant wheel hop today. Mine has RS-As, and I was on dry pavement, let the clutch out a little quicker than normal and gave it a little extra with the right foot and it started hopping. It's not fully broke in yet but I was dying to see if the wheel hop issue had been addressed.

I was sure that with the (less sticky) RS-As and whatever fixes GM had put in for 2006 that we would be over the wheel hop problem.

I think once I'm through the break in I'll take it and light them up and see if it hops or just hunkers down. I'll certainly be talking to the service department at my dealer if it hops. I was sure hoping Caddy had this figured out by now. I'm not raising the red flag yet but the sneak preview didn't look good.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Sorry to hear this.

To my knowledge, the only "fixes" to hop are the spacer bushings that are called for the in the TSB's for 04/05 are now standard on the 06. I've been wrong before though.

WW

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Why would anyone be under the impression that the wheel hop issued had been resolved for '06. If this were true, it would have certainly been reported here, of all places. And there are plenty of owners, myself included, who have stated that the bushings available from GM did NOT cure the wheel hop.

I too am sorry to hear you are experiencing wheel hop, I'm just not sure why you expected your car not to have it?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Somehow, I bet the wheel hop is noticeably decreased though on the 06 compared to a non TSB 04/05. I haven't noticed much wheel hop at all. It must be the altitude of living in Utah.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BowenCT said:
Why would anyone be under the impression that the wheel hop issued had been resolved for '06. If this were true, it would have certainly been reported here, of all places. And there are plenty of owners, myself included, who have stated that the bushings available from GM did NOT cure the wheel hop.

I too am sorry to hear you are experiencing wheel hop, I'm just not sure why you expected your car not to have it?
Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. Wheel hop is a pretty significant performance shortcoming that I would have expected Cadillac to have figured out in three years. That, in addition to the RS-As led me to believe that it wouldn't be an issue. I don't plan on doing a lot of burnouts from a standstill so it's probably not a big issue for me personally, just a little disappointing.

The other 99% about the car I love .. .just to keep things in perspective.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
steven,
Look under your car and see if they installed the bushings... I have seen weirder things from the factory and maybe they just were not installed...

Also, Wheel hop is not easy to fix 100%... It requries a suspension redesign and cradle redesign... Any car that handles well in the twisties has it a little (yes, even the BMW and corvette)... Cadillac should have addressed it, but I think they will for the 07/08 redsign because its more than just cosmetic/engine change (as the 06 is to the 05 now)

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A WHAT WHEELHOP IS thread.... I am just pointin this out.. there are some great threads already on what other cars have wheel hop and what causes it...

I am sorry to hear that you have it, but everyone you are talking to here on the forum has it too... You could always get the BMR kit if you want to reduce it.

Reed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ctsvett said:
steven,
Look under your car and see if they installed the bushings... I have seen weirder things from the factory and maybe they just were not installed...

Reed
Reed - can you describe where and what to look for to ensure that the bushings were installed from the factory?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
white pucks on the bushings. Looks like a reverse Oreo; white pucks top and bottom (which actually slide into the bushings) and the bushing mashed between em.

F

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The CTS-V is not now nor was it ever intended to be a "rubber burner." If you don't like the wheel hop, don't drive it in a manner that will cause wheel hop. Spinning the wheels to create a lot of smoke and noise is simply entertainment for small minds. Drag cars do a "burn out" before the race to get the small additional traction that the burn out warming provides. The fact is, static friction force (no spin) is higher than kinectic friction force (spin). That is why knowledgeable drag racers try to minimize wheel spin at the start of a race. Wheel hop damages every part of the drive train along with the perpetrator's ego. Drive the car the way it was intended to be driven (road course car) and both the hardware and your self-esteem will benefit.

2004 CTS-V
18,000 miles
Eagle F1s (2nd set)
No clunks, whines, or other undesirable noises
No failures in the engine, transmission, differential, or half-shafts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
209 Posts
I have the new bushings in my 04 and it eliminated the wheel hop when the traction control is off. With the traction control on you will continue to have wheel hop no matter what you do. The ABS is grabbing and releasing the brakes which causes wheel hop. I had severe wheel hop in my 911 carrera unless I switched off the traction control.

·
Registered
330 Posts
tedcmiller said:
The CTS-V is not now nor was it ever intended to be a "rubber burner." If you don't like the wheel hop, don't drive it in a manner that will cause wheel hop. Spinning the wheels to create a lot of smoke and noise is simply entertainment for small minds. Drag cars do a "burn out" before the race to get the small additional traction that the burn out warming provides. The fact is, static friction force (no spin) is higher than kinectic friction force (spin). That is why knowledgeable drag racers try to minimize wheel spin at the start of a race. Wheel hop damages every part of the drive train along with the perpetrator's ego. Drive the car the way it was intended to be driven (road course car) and both the hardware and your self-esteem will benefit.

2004 CTS-V
18,000 miles
Eagle F1s (2nd set)
No clunks, whines, or other undesirable noises
No failures in the engine, transmission, differential, or half-shafts
Forget about burnouts. The car should be able to handle full throttle starts from a standstill without hopping. That is not too much to expect in 2005 - plenty of others cars with the same HP do it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
MCaesar,
As I said, if you don't like the way the car responds to a particular driving style, don't drive it that way or don't buy it. Expectations and design performance are frequently very different. The fact is, horsepower is not the only factor that must be considered. No matter what car you talk about, somewhere, sometime, somebody is going to find something to complain about. You should have tested the car before you bought it. If it did not perform to your "expectations," you could have bought something else.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
bsteven43 said:
Reed - can you describe where and what to look for to ensure that the bushings were installed from the factory?
bsteven, I am curious, were the bushings installed on your '06?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure if the bushings have been installed or not. I've called my dealer and am waiting to hear back. I could look if I knew where to look.

BTW, I might have spoken a little early about the wheel hop, the first time I experienced it, I had the t/c active, the second time was in the rain. I now know both the t/c system and wet roads will exacerbate the problem. So, I will wait a couple hundred more miles and try with no t/c and on dry pavement and see how it does. Once I hear back from the service department, I will update the forum.

·
Registered
'99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V
535 Posts
MCaesar said:
Forget about burnouts. The car should be able to handle full throttle starts from a standstill without hopping. That is not too much to expect in 2005 - plenty of others cars with the same HP do it.
I've done quite a few full throttle starts from a standstill and have never experienced wheel hop. As I've stated in the past, I was taught that you wanted to generate as little wheel spin as possible, "burn outs" were done for show only. In my 50 years of driving I've owned GTO's, Mustangs, Trans-AMs, and various other muscle cars and I've never brought myself to do a burn-out. What the hell is the purpose? It's only common sense that it's got to be hard on the drive train, engine, tires, etc. - you don't have to be a gear head to know that. All I know is that my '05 is everything I expected it to be - a luxury, high performance sedan that removed me from the world of "boy toy" Trans-Ams etal. Quite frankly, I have never experienced wheel hop, nor do I have any whines or clunks going on. Will I? Possibly, but every high performance car has its shortcomings and that's why I have a warranty. I haven't found any shortcomings yet, other than premature tire wear. And, no, I don't drive my "V" like the old coot that I am, but I do drive it, not like I stole it, but like I own it! This car will outperform most cars in a street drag race or road course without all the bullcrap a lot of you describe. It just takes maybe a little thought. And, by no means am I saying that I'm a fantastic driver, but maybe I have learned from experience. As I've stated earlier, I've owned many, many muscle cars, and this one is by far my favorite - Sorry this post is so long, but I had to get this off my chest.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whoa... I don't get this schism over wheel-hop. NIk, Ted, are you saying that we don't know how to launch properly? Because if you wanted to get everything that the engine had to offer from a dead-stop, the wheel-hop won't let you.

I consider this a big factor when assessing performance. So according to you two, I either 1) am launching wrong, or 2) shouldn't have bought the CTS-V, since it hops.

Neither answer iscorrect or acceptable, IMO. Caddy needs to fix it. I'm going to see how much the bushing upgrade does for me. Maybe I can lauch as hard as I want with them installed. But if not, I'm gonna raise some hell. I want to see Caddilac produce a sub five second 0-60 in my car with no wheel hop.

Hate to keep raising it as an alternative, but the 300's don't wheel hop, do they? IRS, over 400 BHP... No big complaints over wheel hop. If they have other issues, that sucks, but there's nothing impossible to fix about wheel hop based on the 300's.

The AWD systems in the smaller super cars (STi and EVO) don't seem to suffer ANY drivetrain woes, despite a much more complex drive system and a much lower price tag...

No, this needs to get fixed, there's no excuse for this type of failure. If I try to launch hard (all TC and Stab off OR on), it hammers so bad I gotta back way off. I'm talking a smooth feathering of the clutch, nothing radical or punishing. No way would I consider racing a car anywhere close in speed stoplight to stoplight, even casually.

Like the parade clunk, something is wrong back there, and it needs a-fixin'.

End of story!

Skeeter

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
281 Posts
Skeeter said:
I consider this a big factor when assessing performance. So according to you two, I either 1) am launching wrong, or 2) shouldn't have bought the CTS-V, since it hops.

Neither answer iscorrect or acceptable, IMO.
any manual tranny with an independent rear end will wheel hop. both my vettes would wheel hop and cobra did when launched wrong (busted a half shaft on the ford from a bad launch). last i checked there are no manual tranny 300's, the reason no wheel hop is the torque converter limiting power to the differential hence no wheel hop. i bet if they offered a six speed the results might surprise you.

Skeeter said:
The AWD systems in the smaller super cars (STi and EVO) don't seem to suffer ANY drivetrain woes, despite a much more complex drive system and a much lower price tag...
can't speak of the evo, but rear ends are much cheaper then tranny's. i ripped up the 4th gear synchro. and on hard shifts it would grind in 2,3, and 4th. as far as parade clunk i will take that any day over torque binding from the differentials that would happen on tight corners, that was a clunk. you would think a wheel was about to fall off. it felt like someone hit the car with a bat.

now, i drove an 05 and 06 back to back. wheel hop on hard shifts with the F1 on the 05, and none on the 06 with RSA's just wheel spin. learning as much as i have from this forum i still am going to purchase a V because the overall package is excellent nothing like it in the price point, and if i really wanted to have a car to launch and drag race sign me up for camaro or transam.

·
Registered
'99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V
535 Posts
Skeeter -

I don't want to get into a pissing match over this issue - I agree that GM should address the wheel hop issue more aggressively. My point is that there are ways around it without compromising performance. I disagree that you have to have wheel spin to achieve maximum 0-60 or quarter mile times. As for the 300C, if that's what you want, go for it ( For what it's worth,Consumer Reports lists it as one of the most unreliable sedans.) Personally (and, again, that's just me) I'd never be seen in one. I think they're ugly and will outdate themselves rather quickly. As for the SRT-8, automatics rarely experience wheel hop and, rather than rears failing, there have been reports already about engines failing. So, take your pick.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts