Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
HAD a miserable Catera and even worse 2003 STS
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 03 STS, neither the in-dash nor the rear console cigarette lighter outlets work, although the light's on in both. I have tried a lighter as well as a cell phone power charger and nothing works.

Is this an easy fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,931 Posts
Pop the fuse panel cover in the engine compartment, and wiggle the wires to the "inadvertent" power relay and try again

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
In the underhood fuse box there are two cigarette lighter fuses. They are two position - in one pair of slots the receptacles are on full-time. In the other pair of slots the receptacles operate with RAP - Retained Accessory Power, and will time out after 10 minutes of Key: OFF. The main cigarette lighter fuse feed is in the box under the rear seat. Push the front of the seat apron rearward and lift. BEFORE you remove the seat pad, disconnect the seat heater connector under the passenger side.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
like Sub said - #22 and #23 under the hood -

and #65 fuse - and #58 relay under the back seat -

fuses are listed starting on page 5-93 of the OWNERS Manual -

if you don't have an Owners Manual - or would like a copy for your computer -
go here for a free downloadable copy -
http://www.manualowl.com/am/Cadillac/2003-Seville/Manual/218

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up to this conversation. When I had other work done on the car at the dealership (brakes, engine mount, etc.), I asked them to look at the lighters. They told me that whenever they put anything in the outlets (front or back) the fuses would short. So they added an outlet on the panel to the left of the passenger's left leg. It works fine but it's rather inconvenient, and I would love for the rear one to work. Does anyone here think they were telling me a story or is it really possible to *EASILY* (read: cheaply but securely) fix the outlets? Thanks.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If they tapped into the existing lighter wiring for the new outlet why didn't they just replace them. I replace the lighter outlets with power outlets. If it blows fuses everytime or not who knows, possible yes

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wish that the rear lighter outlet could be fixed. It would help so much in having an extra phone charging outlet. I read somewhere, I think in the manual, that using any electronic charging devices could potentially damage the lighter outlets, is that really true?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No. And if your front "lighter outlet" is on the passenger side of the console, and not under the HU, you don't have the smokers package, and they aren't lighter outlets, they're power outlets.

----------

bwv565 said:
So they added an outlet on the panel to the left of the passenger's left leg.
That's the stock power outlet, not an add on.

Did you check both the C/LTR 1 and C/LTR 2 fuses in the under hood fuse box?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front outlet is in the zebrano-covered 'door' on the passenger side, and came with a cigarette lighter. The rear one has a cap on it and is located in the 'drawer' that opens under the vent.

Anyway no biggie. The dealer installed a 2-plug outlet on the right side of the console opposite the passenger's left leg, and it works fine for charging the phones, etc.

I just like things to work. I realize this is an ancient car and things break, and this is very minor in the grand scheme of things, but I like to try to get to the root cause of an issue and fix it if possible. The dealer said it's not possible without extensive investigation of the problem and that's why they did the alternate power outlet.

No worries.

----------

No. And if your front "lighter outlet" is on the passenger side of the console, and not under the HU, you don't have the smokers package, and they aren't lighter outlets, they're power outlets.

----------

That's the stock power outlet, not an add on.
Not what they told me. Anyway I have to get back to work. This is making my head spin and giving me a migraine.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
After reading your last post, I realize you do have the smokers package. On cars without it, there's a single outlet where your dealer mounted your double outlet, and behind the zebrano door, is just storage.

·
Registered
2001 Eldo ETC, 1987 Allante, 2006 STS previous 66 Coupe, 85 Eldo Biaritz, 75 Eldorado
70 Posts
If the front lighter in the dash ashtray works, the one in the console and the one in the rear seat ashtray do not work, and all the fuses are good, does this mean that the main cigarette lighter fuse feed under the rear seat should be checked? Of the top of my head I am thinking that all the lighters are fed with the same feed; but there is something to be said for the idea that the rear-most lighters are fed from under the rear seat. Before I go through the hassle of pulling the rear seat, does anyone have a definitive answer for this?
thanks
Art

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
If the front lighter in the dash ashtray works, the one in the console and the one in the rear seat ashtray do not work, and all the fuses are good, does this mean that the main cigarette lighter fuse feed under the rear seat should be checked? Of the top of my head I am thinking that all the lighters are fed with the same feed; but there is something to be said for the idea that the rear-most lighters are fed from under the rear seat. Before I go through the hassle of pulling the rear seat, does anyone have a definitive answer for this?
thanks
Art
=======================

you should start a new thread - this one has been dead for over 4 YEARS -

also include what year/model car you are asking about -

·
Registered
2001 Eldo ETC, 1987 Allante, 2006 STS previous 66 Coupe, 85 Eldo Biaritz, 75 Eldorado
70 Posts
my apologies - kind of a newbie here - will do so, and thanks for the advice

Art

1 - 16 of 16 Posts