The High Energy Ignition (HEI) distributor with Electronic Spark Timing (EST) combines all necessary ignition components in one contained unit. The system includes:
* Integral ignition coil assembly.
* Magnetic pick-up coil and pole piece assembly.
* Solid state ignition module.
* Hall effect switch.
* RFI suppression capacitor and primary wiring harness.
* Distributor cap and rotor.
* Cam sensor, mounted in the distributor, for use by the PCM for control of Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI).
This system controls fuel combustion by providing a spark to ignite the compressed air/fuel mixture at the correct time. To provide improved engine performance, fuel economy, and control of exhaust emissions, the ECM controls distributor spark advance (timing) with the Electronic Spark Timing (EST) system.