Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I'm new to this board and am in the market for a new vehicle. I'm heavily weighing the CTS, but have heard that its performance is average at best. Assuming at least a good cross section of you guys own a CTS, would you consider the lack of power a deal breaker with this car? I'd wait for the 3.6, but I'm sold on a manual, which won't be available for another year and a half. The other vehicle I'm thinking about is the upcoming Pontiac GTO, whose styling I'm not entirely sold on, but whose performance is out of this world. Anyway, any insight you can give me as to the highs and lows of owning a CTS would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want 4 door performance, but only have $35k to spend then defintley look at the Subaru STi this fall. Or the Infiniti G35 6spd sedan and Mitsubishi EVO right now...

But if 2 doors are enough for you, it is a decent choice I guess because you can always upgrade it's LS1 later to keep up with the faster cars if thats important to you. Stock however, the GTO is just not going to be the fire breathing beast that many seem to be making it out to be - it's simply too big and heavy compared to the competition. At that price I'd get a Cobra instead of a GTO if I were in the 2 door market.

When and if they start importing the 4 door version, then I'll change my tune and become a GTO fan. It would be nice to see a modern replacement for the old "cultish" V8 Impalla SS from the 90s... A 4 door GTO would be a practical useful car just like that Impala was, a great family hotrod and would likely sell like hotcakes - but they wont import one because it would compete too closely with the CTS Vseries sales at a $15k discount...

A 2 door GTO (in my opinion) is just far too big and fat and wasteful of space compared to it's 2 door competition in that price range - they will eat it for lunch. I have no desire for one...

If you must have a CTS, save up some more $$ and get the Vseries or 3.6-6spd in 2004. If you can't wait and must have something NOW for $35k, then head down to the Infiniti dealer and get a 4dr 6speed G35 - or a Mustang Cobra if 2 doors are enough. If 4 door performance is very important to you but you dont want to spend $50k or wait a year, just wait a few more months then get the STi. Probolem solved :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I would have to agree with the MAJORITY of what Spike said, except that if you want 2-door performance I'd have to look at 3 cars very closely. The Infiniti G35 coupe, the Nissan 350 and the Ford Cobra. If it were me, I'd probably have a REAL hard time between the Cobra and the G35 but I think the Cobra convertible would be my final pick.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm sorry but....Isn't this a Cadillac site? A guy comes in and asks about a Cadillac and you guys start recommending everything but Cadillacs! I had to check to make sure I wasn't on a RICER site!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've had a rough week!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sdevine,
If by performance you mean "how much faster can I peel out from this stop light than that yahoo to my side", then the CTS is probably not the car for you. Otherwise I think it performs wonderfully. The 3.2L has plenty of oomph for moderately aggressive driving and it has great handling for a car of its stature. A lot of it boils down to personal preferences/wants. For me, the interior space was a plus (e.g., the BMW 3 Series rear seat is a joke; pretty much useless unless a midget is in the front seat), I mostly like the dash styling and layout and the exterior with the black paint is about as menacing a look as you can get. On the flipside, when I saw the G35's looks, I said, "Eh." But arguing styling is pointless (and I know that the CTS has it's fair share of detractors over its looks). The 3.6L will probably make it an even sweeter ride, but not knowing what the 2004 pricing is going to be or what incentives will be available (0% for 60 months was great), I’m probably not going to miss those extra forty HP enough to make me care. And it’s American (to each his own, but I prefer to buy American when I can). Heck, if all someone wants is street drag-racing bang for the buck, get the Neon SRT and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
letsgored said:
And it’s American (to each his own, but I prefer to buy American when I can).
I like This guy!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeah i agree with letsgored owning a cts has made me realize that 1/4 mile time isnt everything. Is the cts a nice car that youll like owning, yes. Does it need more raw power? Yes. Is that why im waiting for a supercharger? Yes! Does it mean i dislike my car? No, its just slow. I cant wait to post my finished cts on this site, patience patience, exams are almost over!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's input on here... definately helped me out. I am definately getting a GM product (we're a GM family) so I'm still up in the air. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
GTO is based on Monaro which is from aussie. Monaro is a very nice track car despite its heavy weight which is below what cts weighs. Even the chief of GM said the car feels whole lot lighter than the actual number and it is the only platform worthy of gto name plate.

Anyways I suggest that you test drive the gto before you decide on buying the cts or other car over it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just get the CTS now. I suppose 0-60 in under 7 seconds is "average?" Also, I think the GTO is great. How the hell can you call it slow? 0-60 in under 5 seconds is far from slow! Weight doesn't matter. Numbers do! If your not going to suggest Cadillac, at least suggest GM. Be loyal to your company! I say go with the CTS. It will give you plenty of performance. But if you want hardcore Cobra stang beater, go with the GTO. I dont know if i would sacrifise all that Cadillac luxury for performance. What would people buy back then in 1965? A Pontiac or Cadillac if they had the money? Also whats this about a 4 door GTO? Well, that defeats the whole concept. Pontiac made the first GTO because performance cars used to have big engines in large four door sedans, and they knew people wanted those big blocks in the smaller two door cars. If they do make a 4-door with LS1 then it shouldnt be called the GTO. It might be a good M5 beater though! It could be "The New Bonneville."

·
Registered
244 Posts
letsgored said:
Sdevine,
On the flipside, when I saw the G35's looks, I said, "Eh."
When i first saw the Nissan Murano, it reminded me of the Sixteen for some reason. And the Toyota highlaner looks like the Esalade from a distance. Now, if only we can stop copying European Styling. *cough* Ford Focus *cough*

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was fortunate enough to drive a CTS for an hour and would highly recommend it. As far as luxury and performance it stacks up to any in its class. The deciding factor for me is the distinctive styling...I guess you either love it or hate it. The handling was very good. To wait for 3.6 is an option, but the 3.2 had plenty of zip. If performance is a big concern then wait for CTSv....that will be a monster!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
dts92