Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Hello and glad I could find a Cadillac site. Hope I can contribute something worthwhile in the coming weeks. Now on to my problem.
My 2003 CTS (V6) is cutting off when I drive for a while (20 minutes or more) and stop the car. I dont have to put it in park or anything...just stop. It will immidiately turn over but not actually start. If I wait twenty or so minutes it will start right back up. I think a sensor or something is overheating but I am definitely not a mechanic so I am just guessing:banghead:. No warning lights are popping up other then the engine light came on one time. The car has plenty of oil and coolant also. Thanks in advance for your help..

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)

it is a known issue in the 2003 CTS and can be easily done yourself. part is about $50 at your local parts store. look in the sticky for the how to on replacing it

and welcome to the forums

·
Registered
2003 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. I see looked at the FAQ and saw about three things that I have encountered lol! I will try and let you know if it worked. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
also, on the 03s you can press and hold the F1 & F6 buttons on your radio and bring your trouble codes. your radio is also an OBDII scanner. there is an exact how to in the sticky at the top on how to get those codes as well...good luck

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
1,425 Posts
man the damn TPS was also a PITA when I had my cts. Changing out the CPS will solve the issue im sure

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
It's located near the oil filter and you will need a Torx socket to remove it, I think it's #10 or #12. Tie a string to it, go under the hood and pull it through, pull the new one through using the string. Takes about 1/2 hour, be sure the engine is cool and you may need some zip ties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts