Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I really need your help.

My brakes were really bad and I ignored them, and had my bro check them out yesterday. The rotors were completely shot and the pads were toast with one of them moving back and forth. Also, the bearings had some play in them.They were also producing the loud KNOCK before the repair.

My lil brother replaced the rotors, pads and bearings yesterday and everything was fine and then today the noise came back.

When driving, I push on the brake and hold to a stop and then the loud KNOCK happens almost near the completion of the stop. I can feel it when it happens, almost through the floorboard, and it sounds like it's coming from the front left side.

I am pretty much out of money right now and need to figure out what this is.

Any clues fellas? :/

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,728 Posts
In order of probability. I STRONGLY suspect it is the first one.

Missing upper A arm alignment shims
Pads not swedged to the caliper body
Incorrect torque on wheel bearing nut
Loose caliper mounting bolt
Bad ball joint

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jay, I was thinking it wouldnt be the pads or the bearing, as it is the exact same noise as before the pad/bearings and rotors were changed.

Would a bad ball joint make a knock when braking? It doesn't seem to happen in reverse. And how would I know if I am missing the A arm shims? Where do I look for that? Do you have a photo of this perhaps?

I just drove across the city and the ride seemed fine other than the noise when braking. It's like I press the brake, hold it, and right before the stop, it seems to feel like it just slightly slips and then the loud knock.
I have to go pick up my gf from work later, do you think it's safe to drive until I can possibly have it looked at tomorrow?

----------

This sounds like what's going on with me even though it's a minivan, same symtoms exactly.
do you think that this could be the problem? if so, does my caddy even have this part?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nevermind guys. Admin can delete. I figured out it was bad drums. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
What part of a drum clunks?
Maybe if they are severely neglected like the front brakes they could have some clunks. No brake lining and an adjuster that hasn't moved in years may cause some movement in there. I would still verify that the balljoints are OK for safety's sake.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drums were severally neglected and were down to the metal. Mechanic showed me that the shoes were down to the metal and there was a freshly chipped area were the shoes were catching on the left side while braking. Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, had no idea I was driving around with 20% or less braking power for months. Luckily I didn't have to do any panic stops. That could have been a disaster. :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts