Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to replace the TCC solenoid and ECM on my 84 Deville. How hard would it be to get the parts needed at my local auto parts store in the Dallas, TX area? Then, how hard would it be to replace the parts on my own? I also need to get a repair book for the 84 Deville, is Chilton's the best to get?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

David

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If it's a RWD Deville, changing the TCC solenoid should be pretty darn easy, as easy as taking off the trans pan and unbolting something.
Replacing the ECM should be pretty easy too, some aftermarket ECMs are not so hot (IMHO) but be sure to swap any PROM chips to the new unit before installation.
That stuff is a bit old school for me, I didn't work on too many of those.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
I did the solenoid in my 200-4R and it was cake. You bolt it in, and it has two vampire taps that you just clip to the existing wires. Just make sure you don't beast down on the transmission pan bolts. 12 ftlbs is enough to hold it in without it leaking. Any more and you'll warp the pan and have transmission fluid all over your driveway :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses. I have ordered a Haynes repair guide and I am waiting for it to show up at the house. I will then go to my local auto parts store to see about getting the parts. I will let you know how things are coming along.

Thanks, David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts