Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Coupe DeVille
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the oppertunity to pick up a 81 coupe deville that is in decent shape for $200. The only problem is the owner said it hasn't been started in a year and when it did run it smoked like crazy. What could be the problem with this engine? Would it be worth it to try to rebuild the engine or swap something else in it, if so would a 327 olds drop in without having to change the tranny.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
I think it really depends on the overall condition of the car and how much you like it. If it's in fair to decent shape other than the engine you might make out OK. The original engine might be salvageable. You might flush out the oil and other fluids and see if it will run smoothly. How sweet would it be if all it needs is a little massaging and tuning?

·
Registered
1980 Coupe DeVille
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that and take it from there and see what's up. Hopefully it will be ok, cause I've wanted a caddy for the past 10 years.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yeah! the '81 Coupes are the last big coupes with good motors! If the V864 still works its even better! Or if the motors shot, you can stick in a 425 caddy or 500 caddy! They should just bolt in, correct me if im wrong. People have stuck in 350's too, but they will not go straight in.

Goodluck! :)

D

·
0 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
yeah! the '81 Coupes are the last big coupes with good motors! If the V864 still works its even better! Or if the motors shot, you can stick in a 425 caddy or 500 caddy! They should just bolt in, correct me if im wrong. People have stuck in 350's too, but they will not go straight in.

Goodluck! :)
A 350 Buick, Olds or Pontiac should go right in. A 350 Chevy is easy too but slightly more work.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
ah, i meant the 350 Chevy LO5 from the 91-92 Brougham

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hello!

About two years ago I purchased a 1981 Fleetwood Coupe with the 6.0 V8-6-4. Paid $500. Put about $3,000 into it so far to make it the way I want it. I have to say the car runs great on 8 cylinders although the V8-6-4 is not optimal since it leaves the car with low power in 4 cylinder mode, has a characteristically noticeable vibration in 6 cylinder mode, and if it never shifted out of 8 cylinders at all my car would be delightful! $200 is not a ton of money so you can probably have some fun with the car if you're looking for something to entertain yourself with. I personally would run from it as fast as possible! :)

Good luck!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts