Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 fleetwood brougham 145k
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89 caddy brougham with a stock radio and surius fm modulated radio.i just installed stock size polk audio speakers. it now sounds worse than it did with my stock speakers. i have been told my stock radio is not putting out enough amperage for those speakers. is this true?

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yes this is very true your stock hu does not output alot of wattage however it usually doesnt make the speakers sound worse than before they sound better? did you have a bose system or active audio which uses an external amp which causes the speaker to run at 1 ohm i think polk are 4 ohm the difference in ohms may of created a sound distortion

·
Registered
1989 fleetwood brougham 145k
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no my car doesnt have a bose stereo, it is a standard cassette deck. it just sounds worse from the front speakers, distorted like u said. the speakers were vibratating violently at a modest volume. bose stereo wasnt even available in the brougham. im just confused, ready to put alot of money into amps,subs,misc to make it sound better. also the speakers i put in, i was told were a very good quality, polk audio. thanks cadillacetc1997

·
Registered
96 sts
126 Posts
replace the stock headunit is the first step in upgrading a stereo.

Your stock headunit may be powering all your speakers, and usually they are not very powerful. Some head units can put out some decent power for 200 watts, but bass response is not always the greatest but the treble is usually very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts