Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS Luxury
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 with standard 7-speaker sound system. I want to replace the 4 door speakers. For the front speakers, am I better off with the:

1. Infinity Kappa 52.7i with its' 2 ohm impedance, 55 RMS, 55hz-25kHz, 94db ratings?

OR

2. Polk db525 with its' 4 ohm impedance, 45 RMS, 60hz-22kHz, 93 db ratings?

Given the relatively meager output to the door speakers and the configuration of the front cross-overs at the amp, which way do you think I'll net out better in terms of matching the speaker to the amp? Does anyone know if the cross-overs included with the Infinity speakers will play nicely with the factory set-up?

BTW, what are the RMS numbers for the stock speakers?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
As long as you only want to tackle the doors and you still want to run the factory amp your good with the Kappa's. If you want to go to the 4 ohm's there just isn't enough go juice in the factory amp. If you have the stock radio you have 5.25 mids in the front door(2 0hm) the tweeters are 1" (4 ohm), the back doors are 5.25 mid only's again ( 4 ohm), the sub is a paper 10" free air sub (2 ohm-dual voice coil)that gets so little power from the amp the only upgrade I found is base tube or boxed with seperate power source. Believe me the factory set-up is just plain paper cheap, and the Bose set-up is paper as well. Were I live in Florida, the speakers have a shelf life of no more then 5 years due to the temps and humidity. My wife's infinity was all paper speakers(the upgrade Infinity no less) and by year 5 all dry rotted. If you keep your car garaged, you mightg get some more time. Ive gone to Infinity Reference components and mid for the doors, Bazooka tube owered woofer and an MTX 400 watt amp, include all the wiring and doing it myself(I just started it) I have about $800 in it. Stay with the Kappa's and see if you like what you got, but the next level will triple the cost. Almost forgot. the crossovers are unneccessary my infinity's actually overpower the fronts after the install,(plug and play) so I had to dial the Treble back a bit. The factory tweeters are just not very good after you hear a quality set. Once I add the amp then I'll use those crossovers. Here's some pics for what you get to look forward to.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade, 2006 Cadillac CTS
171 Posts
Do you know what are the GM parts numbers for the bose system? Speakers, tweeter covers and amp?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
There is a thread that has a detailed parts# list for all the parts on the CTS, It shows all the part # for the Bose and the regular speakers. Their is'nt much difference in the cost, but what you get are paper cone speakers that can be upgraded aftermarket for the same money and are plug and play. The sub is the only item that I couldnt find except on e-bay(10" 2 ohm dual voice coil), The weakest link actually is the amp as it can't put out more then 20 watts per channel and has a more difficult time pushing 4 ohm sreakers that are even high sensetivity pieces. GM Parts Direct might also have them listed, and you can get the dealer to give them to you as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
'05 CTS Luxury
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great response. I'm trying to start simple- change out the crappy paper cones for some well-matched coaxials and see where we go from there. I was having trouble choosing between a higher-impedance/lower RMS speaker or a lower impedance/higher RMS speaker but it sounds like the Infinity Kappa would be a better fit. If I don't use the Infinity crossover, do I skip hooking up the tweeter connectors? It's my understanding that the crossover is a 2-way splitter...

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I clipped the wires to the stock speakers and crimped the wires on to the new speakers. The high's are so much more pronounced that you will have to dial them back a bit, but it really wakes up the system. Once I finish my install I'll give you more follow up. Ihaven't found the crossovers yet, but I'll post once I do. If your happy with the sub responce leave it, as this is more involved issue to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts