Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while my STS will take a couple cranks to get started. Well, this morning my wife was driving in traffic and the car just died on her. She said it just plain shut off. I dont want her driving this thing if its going to randomly die on her like that. Has anyone ever heard of this? I am very mechanically inclined but dont even know where to start on this one. Fuel pump? It is not throwing any codes. Just turned over 35K miles and its a 2000.

Help!!

-Eli

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Well it SHOULD be throwing some sort of emmisions code but I am fairly confident its your Crankshaft Position Sensors. Very common on 2k and up models. Had mine replaced for the exact same issues two weeks ago, solved everything. You might have some trouble finding a dealer who stocks them though as I was "told" they were on national backorder. You can drive it like that but it can cut out on you at the most inopportune moments, mine did it right on a turn to a major freeway, luckily no cars were coming or it could have ended differently. Other than that theres no ramifaction other than possible damage to the starter from having to crank over more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPS.... that sounds logical. Could another symptom be a rough idle? It almost feels like a miss at idle sometimes but it never throws a misfire code.

There is an upper and lower CPS. Which one usually fails? Does anyone have a diagram or description of where they are located?

Thanks,

-Eli

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I dont think I ever experienced the idle problem, but that is definitely a symptom ive seen associated with it in the past. I dont have a diagram, but I know both "A" and "B" were replaced on mine. Had it not been under warranty id probly just have figured how to do it myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hmm. ill chekc tomorrow to see of the availibily of them, i know of something that is on back order, but i forget what it is.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think its the CAS thats on back order.... Ive talked with other people about it, and I hear their next to impossible to find!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts