Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......this is the story a buddy of mine bought this clean (really clean) ,with about 100,000 miles on it
drove it around on a daily basis with no problems,after sleeping in it one night(stereo turns on with ignition,
an turns off when the door is opened) his batt. was dead. he followed the owners manual and jumped started it.
he drove it for about a day with no problems,not knowing what killed his batt. he repeated the same mistake
and woke up again with a dead battery.....
this time he went and got a new batt.,hooked it right up and started to drive it,it drove fine went through all the gears
then at his first stop sign it started off then at about 15mph the tranny just stopped ingageing.....
he then had it towed to the WORST garage in my town(ventura,CA) dropped it off an went back to to his army post in OK. the shop then
called him an told him that the tranny NEEDED to compleatly rebuilt including a new torque conv......
i dont beleave this is a legitamite shop..1 stall,no outdoor signs,and three cars for sale in front all for under 600 bucks
when i picked it up for him these people they had no idea what "caddy" i was even talking about(they had 4 cars there for service)
MY QUESTIONS:
my buddy told me i could take over his payments and have to car no money down just make the paymeny of $101 a month
with a total of 2400 left on the loan...Is this worth it? or am i gonna get me a money pit?Anybody have any advice
to give me on this tranny problem? or know of a good shop to take it to in the Ventra county area??What STEPS should i take to properlly
diagnose my prob(batt is still dead)

on other forums their real anal about intros,I dont wanna upset anyone,My name is Casey and i hope to join the leages of cadillac
owners world wide....please help PLEASE....

also no lights came on to indicate a problem(chk engine etc.)

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
before commtting i would take it to a different shop confirm that the tranny was indeed worked on. Also find out whats draining the battery and have them assess the condition of the vehicle if it checks out then go for it. if not then say sorry dude......

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I trouble shot it and found out that the radio being left on is what killed the battery... does anyone recognize any of these tranny symptons i decribed? ..... when i put a new battery in it do i have to follow any special procedure? like check ,reset,clear anything....

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
just to clear it all up...there was nothing done with the tranny by the above mention garage..i looked at it and inspected ALL visable nuts an bolts nothing on it was ever touched. I dont believe that their diognosis was at all acurate,this was a hole in the wall shop, i figured they seen this "army boy" from out of state,knew he was leaving soon (he was back in ok. the day after he dropped it off there). they called him after 3 days an told him 1500.00 will repair all ..they couldnt even drive it ,when i went there to pick it up it was located around back where it was dropped off, can you tell if a tranny needs to be rebuilt just by "LOOKING" at it?? i asked him what he did to come up with his recommended repairs.I was told to promptly leave the premises, damn crooks...

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
can you tell if a tranny needs to be rebuilt just by "LOOKING" at it??
No. Best you can do is check the trans fluid. Make sure the fluid level is correct and that it is clean and red. If it smells burnt and is a brownish color, it has trans problems.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
You could haul it to dealer and ask them to diagnose, you are not under obligation to have them repair it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts