Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
None
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I was concerned with performance modifications was 12 years ago, and the car I was modifying was a 1985 300zx. So I'm a bit behind on the latest in aftermarket performance. I am getting a 2014 cts 2.0 AWD in a few days and I have been looking at these performance tunes. 60rwhp and 60lbs torque by plugging in a computer for 5 minutes, all for a few hundred bucks??? I need to know, what is the catch, what is the down side here. And of course, the big question, why wouldn't manufacturers just do this out of the factory to increase their advertised performance numbers? Items I'm particularly concerned about are- will it, in anyway affect the durability of the car, and if so, how? It seems like, by now, there should be a consensus on this topic, even if it is not based on this particular make and model. Other concerns- how will it impact the factory warranty, should I try to hide it from my servicing dealership, gas mileage impact?? So please, no wishy washy answers, if you don't really know just pay attention to the thread. I'm looking for answers from someone that really know the ins and outs of what these performance tunes effects actually are..
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2019 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury AWD V-Sport Trim
244 Posts
Possible durabilty and warranty coverage are the issues. Your right, if there is no downside, why would the manufactures leave extra power on the table. They wouldn't. If you have a drivetrain issue and GM detects that the engine calibration has been tampered with, they can and usually will void your warranty for components that they believe failed do to the calibration change. You would be rolling the dice. How fast can you afford to go?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
More power = burning more gas it's the laws of physics

Manufacturers have to balance reliability, mileage, and power. If you want a different balance, then that's possible, especially with turbocharged cars.

You WILL lose mileage, and may lose some reliability with a tune, but is it enough to matter? Only you can answer that.

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,179 Posts
Re: need some expertise on performance tunes

A well developed tune should not have any downsides besides destroying lots of rear tires.

The 2.0T in these cars seems to have enough issues of its own, and there is no way to say for sure that if the engine was going to let go, that it may or may not happen faster with a tune. Plenty have killed themselves in bone stock form.

We haven;t seen any tune related issues (piston damage due to detonation, overboost, etc) with any of our 2.0T customers.

In reference to the dealer, there are many options to flash these PCMs with. You want to find one that flashes the PCM without incrementing the CVN counter in the PCM.
Its up to you whether you tell the dealer or not, but if the CVN counter shows the non GM flash was performed, GM has the option to deny warranty coverage at will (right or wrong).
In respect to mileage, I have found my ATS 2.0T to be a poor performer in regards to mileage. Either way, my average has not changed from the months I spent pre tune to the months I have spent post tune. It dropped a bit at first, simply due to my inability to keep my foot out of it as I was enjoying the heck out of that massive surge of torque that comes with the tunes, but other than driving style, our tunes will not affect mileage.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts