Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 91 Eldo 4.9L Biarritz about 3 weeks ago.

When I go the car had to charge battery up. Speedometer did not work, and the car would not shift it would always be in 3rd or 2nd. I had my uncle pull the codes and ended replacing a Speed Sensor the one on the top side of the transaxle that you reach from the right tire. I also did the normal tranny maintenance at the same time, fluids, filters all that stuff. Was very clean, and very little metal residue. Set it down no change, so we reset all the codes. Still nada. Then yesterday I was driving it to the corner store the speedmeter starting going crazy even though it had never worked for me. It would jump from 2 to 35 really fast and when it did jump up the car would shift. I haven't pulled the sensor back out as of yet and Ive only checked the wire from it to the point where it goes into the big wire cluster there I lose it. Now when its driven I dont get the service engine soon light but the car will only go into 1st and 2nd gear unless the speedometer decides to work. When the speedo started working I reset all the codes to see if anything would happen and then I drove it around the block pushing it a bit but nothing and now when I pull codes there are no problems.

Ok sorry for the run on there but I just wanted to find out if there is something else I should be checking that is related to this. I have search for speed sensor and I have read about simular issues but no solutions really. I am in no way a mechanic, I know just enough to maintain.

If I need any other info please let me know.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am not really much of a tranny guy, never was. That is the one thing on my cars that I will let a shop handle. Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. But, welcome to the forums!

I am sure there is someone here that could chime in on your question. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
:welcome: to the sight. I'm sure that people will start to give you their opinions. Good luck with the car, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
sounds to me like the tranny inside where it connects to the speedo gear is fuked up but im no tranny guy
My 72 olds th400 trans had that problem. I forget what that gear was called that drove the speedo cable, but it was missing teeth. I thought with this trans in his 91, it might be electronic.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I dont know how similar my 00' Seville trans is to yours. But I was having the exact same problem. Speedo jumping all over. Very bad shifting. And of course the speed sensor codes. I was told there was a speed sensor in the middle of the trans. So a complete tear down was needed for the sensor. But the 2nd and 3rd pistons in the trans leaked because the gasket or whatever was rock hard. Which I guess messed up overdrive and fried my clutch. All in all the trans got an overhaul. Cost was just under $2,000 by a local trans shop. The only time my car would be like that was when it was cold. After warming up a bit it would shift like normal. I only had the issue for a week and that problem came up 5 or 6 times. And because of that overdrive and clutch were gone. So I wouldnt be suprised if you end up with the exact same things wrong or very close. Good luck!

MacK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See mine does the speedo jumping around and all that with the shifiting when its cold after it warms up the speedo stops completely and it doesn't shift :banghead:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Id say you should bring it into a shop. Though they had to take the trans apart to actually figure out what the real problem was. How does it shift when it's cold?

MacK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it shifts erratic cause thats when the speedo actually decides to semi work when it goes above 11mph it shifts but the speedo will drop back down and it will down shift, when its warm the speedo doesn't even work. Before I even changed the speed sensor on top it would do none of this at all and only work in the limp home mode :) Id pull the codes but no codes come up now. When I get home from work Im gonna pull the sensor and put the old one back in and see if it reverts :banghead: I have a place in town that will test the transmission for free or so they say, and the cadi dealer will diagnose it for 46 bucks but we all know how they have the "oh to get that you have to buy this 1st" deals Ill let you know what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Kinesthe