Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Coupe Deville, 1991 Coupe Deville, 1989, 1994 Eldorado
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I am replacing my 4.5L engine in my 88 coupe deville with a 35,000 motor from an 89 coupe that was hit from behind, I also purchased the tranny from the same wreck.
my coupe has 182,000 miles on the original transmission, and originally since I have the engine out I was going to put the new tranny in. But now I am thinking if I should leave well enough alone, my tranny is not giving me any problems and would not have touch it if my head gasket didnt go.
And I wanted to maybe use tranny for my 89 eldo that does need a tranny.
I am worried that I might take out a good tranny and put in a dud.
What are your thoughts on this.
Thanks

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
I agree, I would also determine what caused the original head gasket failure. Was it a leaking coolant hose, radiator leaking or plugged, water pump failure? head gaskets are a RESULT not the CAUSE of a breakdown. I would also replace the waterpump on the donor engine, much easier with engine out. Have radiator checked for flow or rodded to make sure its ok.

·
Registered
1988 Coupe Deville, 1991 Coupe Deville, 1989, 1994 Eldorado
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello

just an update - radiator is 3 years old - ac delco brand
water pump was not leaking and there were no obvious coolant leaks.
I think it was a cracked intake manifold on the old engine.. whatever water i put in the radiator ended up in the crankcase, went from good to bad overnight..
So I am leaning towards leaving in the original tranny and just put in the engine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts