Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,368 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, 60K+ mile shocks are very likely the culprit.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Asked before but never got a real answer. Brick streets are shaking my sunglasses. What is the softest shock/strut that will fit a '11 CTS Coupe Premium ? (Front and rear please)

[Moderator edit: Merged this thread into the original thread so that everyone has the benefit of seeing the extent of the previous discussion.]

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
They may have discontinued FE1, FE2 could be your only option. I think FE1 and FE2 springs are the same. Not sure the coupe ever came with FE1. If you have FE3 now you'll need to change the springs as well to make it softer.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thank you but springs and antiroll bars are fine (have FE2) just want softer shocks to reduce jounce. Even if not for CTS but will fit is fine.

When racing I had a very soft suspension and tuned with antiroll bars.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The point was that springs have to match the shocks or you'll get poor results. If you have FE2 those springs are correct for FE1/2 shocks. FE3 springs with FE1/2 shocks would produce a terrible ride.

If your shocks are old, they are the cause of your harsh ride.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,486 Posts
FE1 and FE2 should be the same shocks...I thought the difference between the two was the change up from 17" wheels and tires to 18" wheels and tires...it may be different between Coupe, Sedan and Sport Wagon...

Good luck with your Coupe Padgett,

Bill

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
FE1 shocks were a different PN, but they were discontinued. Same springs as FE2, smaller sway bars, 17" wheels.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
64k miles ?
So, 100 internet years ago you were experimenting with 17" Bimmer wheels.
Do you recall if that helped your ride quality?

Not trying to start a battle here and no, I'm not delusional, but everyone's ideas of ride quality are different.
Perhaps new shocks will do the trick, or maybe just a taller, softer sidewall. Or both.
Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,486 Posts
FE1 shocks were a different PN, but they were discontinued. Same springs as FE2, smaller sway bars, 17" wheels.
the sways are the same if you have AWD...I should have added that they might be due to the hardware and depending on year the FE2 may have a limited slip differential...

of course we know that Padgett does not have AWD (CTS4) and has the coupe...

Bill

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Monroe maybe ? The brick streets in Windermere rattle my teeth but Grand Cherokee does not notice. CTS is a bad track day car, wonder why they tried to make it sound like one. Unfortunately ElDorado is no longer made. Maybe an older ETC would have been better but was suckered by the DOHC-6.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Monroe maybe ? The brick streets in Windermere rattle my teeth but Grand Cherokee does not notice. CTS is a bad track day car, wonder why they tried to make it sound like one. Unfortunately ElDorado is no longer made. Maybe an older ETC would have been better but was suckered by the DOHC-6.
Take one of your Allante's to your uppity brick paved destinations.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,129 Posts
I believe you need to put on a set of OEM shocks. Check with a GM dealer for the right part number to match your VIN.
The Coupe rear shocks are different for left and right. and different for sedan, wagon or coupe
The fronts are different for AWD and RWD.
and then of course we have the different suspension and tire sizes. FE2, FE3.ECT.

A few years ago when I would look up part numbers on-line at GM parts they would show separate part numbers for the Coupe vs all other models when it came to shocks or springs. About 1.5 years ago the on-line GM parts started to drop a lot of the coupe-only parts and started showing the coupe with sedans.

Six months ago when I looked up part numbers on-line for shocks on my coupe FE3 with 19" tires, and then I called my GM dealer where I get deep discounts and no sales tax, he looked up the parts by VIN and came up with different part numbers.

Monroe shows: one part number fits all models for rear shocks,
for front shocks, one part number fits all RWD models.
Monroe shocks are engineered for one size fits all. Not a good thing.

Hell, Monroe has a box to check off what kind of ride you want, Soft/smooth, Improved stability or performance ride. BUT there is no difference in the part numbers when I checked each type of different ride characteristic.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I've used Monroe on a few of my past vehicles and personally I don't think their quality is what is once was.
I definitely wouldn't put them on a CTS.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
CTS is a bad track day car, wonder why they tried to make it sound like one.
I call foul, the CTS can be a fantastic car when equipped with the right suspension and other tuning and will stretch your neck in corners, and braking. It was Motor Trend car of the year. Perhaps it is more modest under acceleration.

I think I'll drive mine in the Silver State Classic Challenge.

So, 100 internet years ago you were experimenting with 17" Bimmer wheels.
Do you recall if that helped your ride quality?

Not trying to start a battle here and no, I'm not delusional, but everyone's ideas of ride quality are different.
Perhaps new shocks will do the trick, or maybe just a taller, softer sidewall. Or both.
Just throwing it out there.
Cadillac had it pretty much correct, FE1 at 17", FE2 18" and FE3 19". With Padgett's brick road complaint FE2 should be reasonable, FE1, even were it available, would likely allow too much tire bounce.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Again, everyone's ideas of ride quality are different. It's subjective.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,129 Posts
Go test drive a New Tahoe SUV.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Am happy with the cars I have. May try just removing the rear shocks and see how it drives (have done before, no big in a tight suspension. Developed race cars with zero rear roll resistance before worked well to transfer weight forward in a FV. Believe it or don't.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts