Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,503 Posts
'Saint Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast' and "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow' leap to mind. I have several albums but 'Apostrophe' is my fav.

As to the subject issue, as I recall we had previously established that FE1 sedan struts and shocks will physically fit the coupe and as a more supple and compliant ride is desired, the installation of FE1 dampers still seems worth a try. That combined with 17" touring tires should ride a little softer. I imagine that FE1 springs (if different) could also be sourced. Personally I'd go for the custom air ride suspension, if money isn't a factor.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,061 Posts
You didn't listen to music while working?

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
I listen to the radio more than I watch TV.

That being said, that album cover is disturbing.
Like walking in on your parents bumping uglies disturbing.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,061 Posts
My two sisters and I know that, of course, our parents only did it three times. ARGHHHHH!

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
My two sisters and I know that, of course, our parents only did it three times. ARGHHHHH!
Whatever helps you sleep at night, brother.

·
Registered
08 CTS L76/MYC conversion
376 Posts
My suggestion:

1) fix engine cooling system first.
2) find a wrecked CTS-V and swap the shocks/springs and all the electronics, then choose between sport and tour.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
23 Posts
I live on the far west side of Orange county, just outside of Orlando. To get almost anywhere to the west (like the Winter Garden mall) I must go through the town of Windermere. Windermere probably has the highest per capita income of any town with dirt streets: " income per capita in Windermere is $68,198, which is 147% higher than the Florida average ". The main street is paved: with bricks, and going through even at the 30 mph speed limit is a tooth rattling, spectacles shaking experience in my Coupe My Jeep tow truck has a better ride.

Since I like the car I would like to modify the suspension for a softer ride (why I was experimenting with 17 tires). Does anyone know how to make the ride acceptable over bricks/cobblestones or do I nee a different car ?
Quality of ride is closely related to the weight of the vehicle. Go get you an old 96 Fleetwood Brougham and you won't feel the bricks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Padgett,

You already have the solution in your garage - time to take the Reatta on a roadtrip! Maybe even consider swapping in a supercharged 3800 so you have similar performance to your CTS!!

·
Registered
2012 CTS (base)
44 Posts
We need to remember the CTS sedan and the CTS Coupe are not the same car. The CTS coupe V6 is the same body as the CTS V8 monster. That is way the coupe with the V6 weighs more than a sedan with the same engine and longer wheelbase.
The CTS V6 coupes all have a "Sport Suspension" FE2 or an even more robust FE3
FE3 is the "Performance" Suspension (not to be confused with the FE2 "Sport" Suspension), with FE3 being offered only with the Y43 19" Summer Tire Performance Package - available only on RWD cars. Y43 provides the following: Performance Package, 19" (48.3 cm) Summer Tire, includes (T4F) HID headlamps, (KB7) steering wheel mounted paddle shift controls, (T3U) fog lamps, (RT9) 19" x 8.5" (48.3 cm x 21.6 cm) polished wheels, (Q0M) P245/45ZR19 Y-rated performance summer tires, (V03) performance cooling system, (FE3) sport performance suspension, (G80) limited slip differential and (J55) performance brakes.
Now from what I have seen reported by Padgett he has an FE2 suspension. and all the OEM suspension parts are not the same as what comes on a sedan. So the coupe will never ride as smooth as a sedan that has standard suspension.
The coupe and sedan have the same wheelbase, and I have no idea what you mean by “monster body from the V8.”

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,129 Posts
The coupe and sedan have the same wheelbase, and I have no idea what you mean by “monster body from the V8.”
Well you are correct the WB is the same. the coupe looks so much smaller.

Cadillac takes two doors out, shortens the overall length by 2 inches and adds 20 lbs. to make the coupe.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes I have the "Premium" option group which includes "everything"...
except FE2 suspension, flappy paddles (buttons), or 19" wheels.

No while the -V (with a manual trans has at least some hope of being a track/drag car. My v6 is at best a pseudo-track day car: most of the disadvantages (expensive tires, can tell if a cig butt run over is plain or filter, limited slip diff) for street driving without the soft caddy ride.

Of course you cannot expect much from a german-designed car sold to the Chinese (though their roads are even worse). All I want is for it to be like my other modern cars (Jeep SUV, Merc SLK) and not rattle my teeth and shake my glasses on a brick road. Is that too much to ask ?

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,126 Posts
Padgett,

You already have the solution in your garage - time to take the Reatta on a roadtrip! Maybe even consider swapping in a supercharged 3800 so you have similar performance to your CTS!!
Why would you want to downgrade the power?

The older Ly7 is similar in power to the Super Charged 3800... or damn close to it although have to rev higher. My LFX is rated significantly higher than the super charged 3800. Not to mention with it how I have it setup now.

Rodney

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,394 Posts
Yes I have the "Premium" option group which includes "everything"...
except FE2 suspension, flappy paddles (buttons), or 19" wheels.

No while the -V (with a manual trans has at least some hope of being a track/drag car. My v6 is at best a pseudo-track day car: most of the disadvantages (expensive tires, can tell if a cig butt run over is plain or filter, limited slip diff) for street driving without the soft caddy ride.

Of course you cannot expect much from a german-designed car sold to the Chinese (though their roads are even worse). All I want is for it to be like my other modern cars (Jeep SUV, Merc SLK) and not rattle my teeth and shake my glasses on a brick road. Is that too much to ask ?
Maybe you should have your car checked out by a suspension expert to see why yours rides so harsh compared to the rest of us. Or are you expecting a mid 70's Cadillac ride? That pitching and yawing boat feel is not part of the CTS, but neither is a washboard ride either. When you refer to a brick road, what kind are you referring to? Modern red brick, or older Belgian block? there are differences and I know of a few Belgian block roads that, while durable, I do not ride on due to the rough ride.

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
We have some extremely rough blocks on a few of our roundabouts here in Jax. My CTS rode rough, but it didn't make my teeth rattle. Then again, I wasn't going over maybe 15 mph.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Perf Coupe awd ; 2013 Silver Premium Coupe- awd: currently 2012 Premium Coupe -awd
323 Posts
Why would you want to downgrade the power?
As talked about in the Performance section- torque. My Riv would burn the front tires from a stop. High rev power is for you young'uns I am afraid.

Reactions: CaddyFred and Long

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
When I want silly power my Judge has a built 400, 4 speed Muncie, and Saf-T-Track. My CTS is supposed to be a road/GT/long distance car. I just happen to prefer a 2-door and are not many any more.

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
41 - 60 of 135 Posts