Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the far west side of Orange county, just outside of Orlando. To get almost anywhere to the west (like the Winter Garden mall) I must go through the town of Windermere. Windermere probably has the highest per capita income of any town with dirt streets: " income per capita in Windermere is $68,198, which is 147% higher than the Florida average ". The main street is paved: with bricks, and going through even at the 30 mph speed limit is a tooth rattling, spectacles shaking experience in my Coupe My Jeep tow truck has a better ride.

Since I like the car I would like to modify the suspension for a softer ride (why I was experimenting with 17 tires). Does anyone know how to make the ride acceptable over bricks/cobblestones or do I nee a different car ?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,122 Posts
sure use a Tahoe SUV. Certainly not a a CTS coupe. I pulled that town up on google earth what a town. Not for me.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,131 Posts
What about 15" wheels and even bigger tires?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,473 Posts
I live on the far west side of Orange county, just outside of Orlando. To get almost anywhere to the west (like the Winter Garden mall) I must go through the town of Windermere. Windermere probably has the highest per capita income of any town with dirt streets: " income per capita in Windermere is $68,198, which is 147% higher than the Florida average ". The main street is paved: with bricks, and going through even at the 30 mph speed limit is a tooth rattling, spectacles shaking experience in my Coupe My Jeep tow truck has a better ride.

Since I like the car I would like to modify the suspension for a softer ride (why I was experimenting with 17 tires). Does anyone know how to make the ride acceptable over bricks/cobblestones or do I nee a different car ?
Looking at Google Maps I see multiple ways to go around Windermere rather than through it. If there's one section of road that is bothersome, I'd avoid that one section of road using any of the multiple other driving routes.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as it stays on the dot under 220. I am not sure the sensor is accurate since an IR thermometer shows about 20F less. I do use only Mobil 1.

Sounds like no-one else thinks the ride is too harsh.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,051 Posts
I'm surprised you complain about the ride while living in Florida. We have some of the smoothest roads in the USA, especially not having to deal with frost heaves and potholes like those poor wankers north of the Mason-Dixon. There's a '69 Caddy DeVille Ragtop for sale on BAT right now. Just up your alley for the land yacht ride, Padgett.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-deville-2/

·
Registered
08 CTS L76/MYC conversion
376 Posts
The roads in northern Indiana completely suck. Driving my wife's BMW will smoothe out all the pot holes, cracks, crumbles, man hole covers, snow, slush, rocks, people's trash and dead animals. My XWD SAAB feels every pebble in the road. My CTS is almost as good as her BMW

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,051 Posts
I personally like the ride of my ATS-V and put it into Sport Mode for a more firm ride.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
662 Posts
I have a 2013 CTS Luxury which I found out has the softest ride compared to the premium model which has the stiffest ride. I assume the difference in ride is determined by the suspension, shocks, and tire size/types.
If you can determine the difference, that may help.

·
Registered
17' 6MT ATS Carbon Black, 09' Malibu, 08' Infinity G35x, 04' Ion Redline,
171 Posts
In order of cost.

1.Smallest rims and the most sidewall you can get (This is what the jeeps has tons of sidewall)
2.Replace shocks and springs it is 9 years old...
3.Air Ride system https://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/chevrolet-camaro-2016-2017/ you would need soemthing custom
4.Any car with air ride.

Florida has some of the smoothest roads in the country, if it bothers you that much you may wan't to get a different car, I have a lot of European customers who have told me our roads in Illinois and especially the ones in Wisconsin are worse than east Germany. Now personally all i've has is sports cars so maybe i'm used to it but the cts rode nice.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,572 Posts
Michigan is worse. Just did Chicago-Minneapolis-Milwaukee-Detroit (across the lake).

Damn the roads are bad (Ford Flex with high side walls).

When we go to the Alpine region from Denmark we take Eastern Germany autobahns. The newest in the country and less traffic.

As to Padgett: go for a car with high clearance. The longer springs and the lower spring constant gives you lower resonance frequemcy outside the frequency spectrum of potholes. The best object I can think of is the 1st and 2nd gen Volvo XC70. The newer ones are stiff.

(Acc. to Thomas D. Gillespie - Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, SAE).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a) What part of "I have a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee" (tow/trip car) was missed. It does ride better on the Windermere bricks than my CTS. Heck my SLK320 rides better on the Windermere bricks than the CTS. Have a set of 17s but do not feel much different. I strongly suspect the shocks are too stiff. At 60k miles they should not be worn out.

b) at 57F degrees outside temp the coolant was reading 215F. Took an IR gun all over the idling engine (cover off) and hoses. Except for the exhaust manifolds, nothing was over 190F I suspect a bad sensor.

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,503 Posts
a) So drive the oft mentioned '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee (tow/trip car) when you drive through Windermere or don't drive through Windermere.
b) Do you really expect your IR gun to read the liquid coolant temperature through the solid materials containing it?
c) I'm experiencing deja vu again...

Reactions: csawy and Long

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,503 Posts
So I just discovered... and apparently it rides better than his CTS coupe. :rolleyes:

I wonder which one gets better mpg? :unsure:

Reactions: Coneill and HurstGN

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,131 Posts
I do recall an issue of unnecessary refueling, but which one was it?? ;)

Damn those tooth rattling, spectacles shaking, Windmere brick paved roads.
You shouldn't have to modify your CTS any further.

Contact your public official and demand that road be properly reconstructed so you can get to The Wintergarden Mall and enjoy your giant salty food court pretzel while you window shop for the latest, greatest pair of designer Crocs.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts