Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late 2005 I started conducting reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models like the 2008 very quickly--if enough owners sign up to help out. The sooner enough owners of the 2008 get involved, the sooner others considering the car will have some reliability information to factor into their decision.

With first-year designs, reliability is always a question mark. Some do start out with problems, but the manufacturer often quickly identifies and addresses these. With TrueDelta's quarterly updates, any such improvement becomes apparent within a few months.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

This forum and its admin have been essential in getting enough owners for the first-gen CTS, and I certainly appreciate this. Hopefully we can do even better for the 2008, as it's going to bring many new people to Cadillac and the CTS.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can have results as early as February, but only if owners sign up and participate. The process requires just a few minutes per year.

I'll start collecting data next month if half a dozen owners sign up in the next few weeks.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few owners have signed up--thanks, guys--so I'm going to start collecting data on the 2008 this month. Once I have 25 participants (and the more the better), we'll have some results.

Among other recent GM products, I have sample sizes around 100 for both the Aura and the Lambda crossovers. I'd love to have the same for the new CTS.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to need more owners signed up soon for results in February.

Haven't received the car yet? If you'll be getting the CTS in the next few weeks, you can go ahead and enroll it. Just ignore the survey emails until the month after you take delivery.

Or, if it's going to be more than a few weeks, just enroll whatever you now own and send me a brief email when you take delivery of the CTS.

·
Registered
Cadillac 08 CTS DI FE3
218 Posts
:yup:I signed up, but won't get car for 3-4 more weeks, hope that's ok. I believe stongly in consumer feedback. It tends to cut to the heart of any problems first.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ignore the survey emails until the month after you get the car. I send a couple follow-ups each month to those who don't respond, but you can just hit delete.

Seven owners now signed up. Will need quite a few more, but a good start. If there are 30+ soon, there will be initial results in February.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eight signed up now, a decent start. Will need many more for results in February, though.

So, if you've bought one of the 2008s, please sign up to participate.

Remember who got everyone answers to their questions from the floor of last year's NAIAS:) I should be there during press days again this year, looking forward to seeing what Cadillac will have and reporting back.

Details on the reseach and links to the enrollment form are here:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now nine.

The November results will include the 2008 Buick Enclave. This demonstrates what TrueDelta's research process can deliver, because no one else will have reliability info on the Enclave until next summer. CR won't have it until this time next year.

A February result for a fall intro model like the CTS would be even better. The people here can make it happen. When a forum does make a quick result possible, I credit the forum in any press release discussing the model. I'd love to do that for this forum.

Other 2008s that might be included in the February results:

Enclave et al (beyond a doubt--over 70 2008 Lambdas in the panel)

Infiniti G (11 so far)

Mercedes C-Class (13 so far)

Nissan Altima (18 so far)

Honda Accord (only 7 so far, but on sale more recently)

Saturn VUE (12 so far)

Scion xB (10 so far)

And a few others.

All of these won't make it into the February results, but some will, and those are the models I'll be focusing attention on. I hope the CTS will be one of them. If you have a 2008, you can help make it happen.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
Speaking of reliability feedback - I received a survey from J.D. Powers a couple of weeks ago. First one I've ever seen. Easy to fill out. Only asks about what problems I've had. Since I've had none, there wasn't anything to fill out except my personal information. Also got a card from XM Radio asking me to fill out their online survey. My suggestion for them was to allow, not only three months of radio, but also traffic and weather capability. I wouldn't pay $12.95 a month just for more stations, but I might have if I liked the traffic and weather capabilities enough.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did JD give you a nice crisp dollar with that survey?

They do a decent job for what they cover, which is only the first 90 days and then the first year. The main problem with JD Power is that they provide very little information to car buyers, because if they did they couldn't charge the OEMs as much as they do. I actually pitched the concept for my research to them. Their response: the didn't see any additional revenue in it. The OEMs are already paying as much as they can afford to.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Thanks,I"ll check it out

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy new year, everyone.

33 now signed up. Data collection for the last month before the February results will start tomorrow or Thursday, I haven't decided yet. Really need more participants if there's going to be a result for the 2008 CTS.

Auto reliability research

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 50th owner of a 2008 recently joined. Should be good enough for a solid result in May, but this will depend on how many of the 50 respond to the survey--which takes very little time.

Additional participants would help us provide more precise and more detailed results.

Go here to read about the research and join:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far 43 owners have responded to the survey--an outstanding response rate. Higher would be better still, but great job so far, everyone.

There will be additional rounds this month because it's the last month in the quarter, so there's still time to sign up and participate before the May results.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In all it looks like we'll have 51 responses when the results are released this week. The CTS is among the biggest news in this set. Everyone who has made this, possible, thanks.

The next update after this one will be in August. Additional participants always helpful. Especially if you bought your CTS recently--let's find out if more recently produced cars have a lower repair rate.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Can't get any lower than mine. Delivered Jan 20 - zero defects.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Can't get a much higher repair rate than mine. Delivered on Dec 5, 2007, so far 22 days in the shop and still some unresolved issues.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts