Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the opinions of those who own Devilles. I think I've come across a deal on a 2000 Deville with 50,000 miles. It is very clean. It rides kind of harsh on some roads. I blame that one the Vogue tires. Very smooth on the highway. The problem is that it is a private owner sale, therefore no warranty. Would you pick up one of these, even if it was in immaculate condition, knowing that there was no warranty? If I decide to purchase this, I would take it to the dealer for a complete checkup. Thanks in advance.

By the way, it's may not be that much of a deal since it is slightly above blue book value.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
The cooling system should have been serviced at least once by now. That is very important. If it hasn't been done, do it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Anything else to look out for? By reading about all of the electrical issues, should I even consider a Deville with no warranty?

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks. Anything else to look out for? By reading about all of the electrical issues, should I even consider a Deville with no warranty?
I no longer buy cars with warranties, too damn expensive and they depreciate at such a rapid rate. No sir, I've been doing great with older second hand cars for several years now except for one. That one happened to be a Deville. My advice would be to buy a different car, even another Cadillac but without the Northstar motor. Believe me, if it was just me and it was a fluke, I'd swallow it but huge Northstar probles are posted nearly everyday in this forum alone. Numbers dont lie my friend.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Yes, Northstar head gasket problems are posted everyday. What is not posted every day is the 100's of thousands that have no problems. Any car without a warranty is a gamble. Electrical problems don't seem to be a big issue. I would not hesitate to buy a 2000 with 50,000 miles. If the coolant has not been changed, do it.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I don't hear of any electrical issues with these cars. The HG problem is the biggest fear and the 2000 has the redesigned engine, so you're one step better than 1999.

Do the coolant service first thing. That's your biggest line of defence in HG failure prevention. In addition drive the car hard before you buy it. Make sure there isn't an existing condition. Get the car hot, smell for coolant etc etc.

Having said that, you can buy a warranty form a dealer even thought you didn't purchase the car there. If the dealer won't sell it to you then GM will. They are costly for sure but so are the repairs. If the car is pristine, the mileage is certainly right, so if your comfortable with the price then go for it.

Just know that at any time there could be a $4000 repair bill waiting.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Buying a Northstar Cadillac is kinda like running thru a Bosnian minefield....exhiliariating, but deadly.

T

·
0 Posts
How is the N engine better just because they redesigned it? The N is still blowing headgaskets WTF? The GM warranty I was offered by the Cadillac dealer cost about 1500.00 I think was 3 years 36000 miles BUT he said it was 50/50. I said is that? The salesman said I had to pay for 50% of the cost with the $1500 warranty. I did not buy it. The warranty I got was 1 month or 1000 miles drivetrain only. This is on my mind at all times- Just know that at any time there could be a $4000 repair bill waiting. Why did Cadillac not put 5.7 engines in these cars? Could it be done? Oh I just noticed at RockAuto the 98 Deville shocks they list are about 500 each. That's something to think about. $$$ cha-ching $$$. I am not wealthy is why I worry about a costly auto. TexasCadillac :bigroll:
I don't hear of any electrical issues with these cars. The HG problem is the biggest fear and the 2000 has the redesigned engine, so you're one step better than 1999.
Do the coolant service first thing. That's your biggest line of defence in HG failure prevention. In addition drive the car hard before you buy it. Make sure there isn't an existing condition. Get the car hot, smell for coolant etc etc.

Having said that, you can buy a warranty form a dealer even thought you didn't purchase the car there. If the dealer won't sell it to you then GM will. They are costly for sure but so are the repairs. If the car is pristine, the mileage is certainly right, so if your comfortable with the price then go for it.

Just know that at any time there could be a $4000 repair bill waiting.

T

·
0 Posts
When is the last time someone posted with a 5.7 blown headgasket? TexasCadillac

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
They said the crank senosrs would fail, they did, they said the steering wheel senors would fail it did. If the say the head gaskets will fail. I say, hope it happens before the warranty runs out in 2010. If not it will be gone the same day the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
How is the N engine better just because they redesigned it? The N is still blowing headgaskets WTF? The GM warranty I was offered by the Cadillac dealer cost about 1500.00 I think was 3 years 36000 miles BUT he said it was 50/50. I said is that? The salesman said I had to pay for 50% of the cost with the $1500 warranty. I did not buy it. The warranty I got was 1 month or 1000 miles drivetrain only. This is on my mind at all times- Just know that at any time there could be a $4000 repair bill waiting. Why did Cadillac not put 5.7 engines in these cars? Could it be done? Oh I just noticed at RockAuto the 98 Deville shocks they list are about 500 each. That's something to think about. $$$ cha-ching $$$. I am not wealthy is why I worry about a costly auto. TexasCadillac :bigroll:
If you are so worried, you can still get a PowerShield warranty from WarrantyDirect on a '98 and pay monthly payments on it. It covers all parts as well as seals and gaskets I believe of any internal combustion engine system and the transmission.

BTW... the 5.7 is a fine motor, but no where NEAR as smooth and refined as the Northstar.

As for the original poster... buy a warranty, and make sure the coolant has been changed, if it hasnt, your taking a gamble.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it again without the warranty. I was quoted $3200 and that covered the car bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible for 100,000 miles or 5 years.

Not a bad deal after just having to put $3k into a trans for an unexplainable failure.

Never again would I buy a N* car without a warranty. It's a priceless piece of insurance and allows you to sleep at night.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
I bought my wife a 2000 base Deville with 35k on her and this is what I have repaired as of 111k.Crank sensors,alternator,rear shocks,air mix door actuator motor,front wheel hubs and tie rods.All other stuff is just regular wear items (brake pads,rotors,tires,battery hoses,etc. I adhere to the service intervals on or close to when they're due.This car has to be the most reliable car I have ever owned. ALL cars have problems eventually, get proof of regular maintenance and for your peace of mind a test for exhaust fumes in the coolant. I believe GM changed the pitch and length on the HG bolts and they are on the 2000 Deville. Caddy owner for life.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I agree with most everyone here. Get that Warranty from GM. Without it you are taking a massive gamble with such a complicated car with a complicated powertrain.

It's always better to buy a certified Used Car but I don't believe they will have one now for a 2000 model. Too much time has passed.

I recommend you do the following:

1) Get the VIN number of the car you're looking at and run a CarFax report
2) Go to the dealership the car has been regularly serviced (it has had that done right?) and have the dealership show you a service history

Without at least those two above, I wouldn't buy it. Too many unknowns. I used to think extended warranties were BS expenses tacked on by dealerships to make extra money. It's true that they do make extra money selling you that. But I have also learned an expensive lesson with another car make that I bought used from a private owner. I refuse to take another gamble by buying any used car without a warranty. Unless, I plan to take that whole car apart and rebuild it!

T

·
0 Posts
I bought my wife a 2000 base Deville with 35k on her and this is what I have repaired as of 111k.Crank sensors,alternator,rear shocks,air mix door actuator motor,front wheel hubs and tie rods.All other stuff is just regular wear items (brake pads,rotors,tires,battery hoses,etc. I adhere to the service intervals on or close to when they're due.This car has to be the most reliable car I have ever owned. ALL cars have problems eventually, get proof of regular maintenance and for your peace of mind a test for exhaust fumes in the coolant. I believe GM changed the pitch and length on the HG bolts and they are on the 2000 Deville. Caddy owner for life.
I believe GM changed the pitch and length on the HG bolts and they are on the 2000 Deville. yea but it's too bad it didn't fix the headgasket problem. TexasCadillac

T

·
0 Posts
If you are so worried, you can still get a PowerShield warranty from WarrantyDirect on a '98 and pay monthly payments on it. It covers all parts as well as seals and gaskets I believe of any internal combustion engine system and the transmission.

BTW... the 5.7 is a fine motor, but no where NEAR as smooth and refined as the Northstar.

As for the original poster... buy a warranty, and make sure the coolant has been changed, if it hasnt, your taking a gamble.
BTW... the 5.7 is a fine motor, but no where NEAR as smooth and refined as the Northstar.Do you mean it is refined as in worse gas mileage or less reliable and a lot more to get fixed? The dealer warranty I was offered only paid 1/2 of the cost. TexasCadillac

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
It comes to this. Any used car will develop some problem or other over time. Some major, some minor. Cadillacs are expensive to begin with, and the repairs to these very complex machines are no less so. If properly maintained, you will have fewer issues, but you'll still have issues, and then you'll just have to decide whether the repair cost is worth it to you.

I've now owned 3 N* cars. I've enjoyed all of them, and all of them have had their glitches, mostly minor, none to do with the engine itself. None of it would stop me from owning another.

Bottom line: you want a Cadillac, be prepared to own a Cadillac and everything that goes with it. You want cheap repair costs? Buy a 72 Chevy.

T

·
0 Posts
Any car can develope problems but not usually $3-4000 patch job or $10,000 engine replacement. Used Cadillacs are not that expensive and Cadillac made some very good cast iron engines. I had a 75 eldo 500 ci a bullet proof engine and a 93 FW 5.7 that was bulletproof, Cadillac made some very good cars and motors. Why did they think an aluminum block engine was going to help that much? I think they made these aluminum engines because the cast iron engines were easy to rebuild and they were lasting too long. yea buy a 72 Chevy or a 72 Caddy.TexasCadillac
It comes to this. Any used car will develop some problem or other over time. Some major, some minor. Cadillacs are expensive to begin with, and the repairs to these very complex machines are no less so. If properly maintained, you will have fewer issues, but you'll still have issues, and then you'll just have to decide whether the repair cost is worth it to you.

I've now owned 3 N* cars. I've enjoyed all of them, and all of them have had their glitches, mostly minor, none to do with the engine itself. None of it would stop me from owning another.

Bottom line: you want a Cadillac, be prepared to own a Cadillac and everything that goes with it. You want cheap repair costs? Buy a 72 Chevy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts