Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all these threads and whatnot, but I am intensely looking for an STS to purchase. I've found a pretty good deal on an 03 fully loaded out. Crimson Pearl with low miles.

Ran a carfax, and the car was in an accident. It was a "head on" collision in the median. Both vehicles were exiting from opposite sides of the street. The STS was driven away from the scene, but the other car was towed. Damage was listed as moderate.

Should I be concerned? Also, the carfax shows fuel system was serviced as was the steering. Normal?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Most people here will tell you to run away as fast as you can due to the accident. I feel different about it. The auto body industry has come a long way in the past 10-20 years. They have some amazing equipment to fix cars back to thier original specs. Since you know the car was in a head on, check it out really good. Make sure that the repair was done right. Check body seams to make sure panels line up correctly. Doors should open and close like new. Drive the car, does it drive straight, does it corner like it should, after a turn let the wheel go, does it return back to straight on its own? As long as the repair was perfect, you would be hard pressed to know that it was ever wrecked.

Don

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
If the car drives smooth and straight and all of the door/hood gaps are nice buy the car.

You are lucky (and the first person that I have heard of) that had a CARFAX that actually recorded an accident.

When I was Caddy shopping 3 years ago I looked at a 2001 STS that had hit a Moose :eek:... Of course CARFAX was clean... But that car shook so bad even the salesman stated that the car "frightened" him. I eventually passed on that car and bought a 2002.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,121 Posts
As always, CARFAX reports only what was voluntarily entered, other than the state and registration/inspection data. Take the VIN to a Cad dealer and have them pull the GM service record for you. This '03 may have been in the recall campaign for fuel pressure sensor replacement....whole tank unit changed. There may be a campaign sticker on the water pump belt cover if that was the service performed......there was also a warranty fix for a lower steering column (?) bearing. Give the whole front area, behind the headlights, above and below the radiator, a good inspection with a strong flashlight. A low speed head on would mess up a lot of expensive plastic, but shouldn't get to the unibody/engine cradle.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Take it to a body shop and have THEM inspect it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts