Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6DI Black Raven
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help figuring out the brakes. I have a 2009 Cadillac cts Awd 3.6 Premium Model, and I wanted to buy some Power Stop Brake Kit which comes with rotors and pads, now there is two types 315mm or 345mm. The model I am looking at is Powerstop K4135 apparently.this is the.345mm kit with 13.58 in front rotors and 13.386inch rear. According to summit racing employee.he told me it wont fit the.AWD MODEL only rwd. Can you guys shed some light for me as I have no clue if my brakes are 315mm or 345mm or can I upgrade to these with.no.issues. The car has 18" performance wheels and tires from factory. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Turn over your spare tire cover and read the build sheet on it. It will tell you the brake system you have on your CTS (JE5 or JE55 J55). From the description you offered, you should have the larger brake system. Using the info from the build sheet, you should be able to order the correct size brakes.

PS - what's up with your punctuation?:)

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
605 Posts
I also have an '09 AWD with 3.6 DI and 18" wheels, but the smaller JE5 brakes. As Tbbt explained, the code can be found on the spare tire cover.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn over your spare tire cover and read the build sheet on it. It will tell you the brake system you have on your CTS (JE5 or JE55). From the description you offered, you should have the larger brake system. Using the info from the build sheet, you should be able to order the correct size brakes.

PS - what's up with your punctuation?:)
Thank you for the help. Hahaha my punctuation does not work well on my phone, it thinks I start a new sentence all the time. I should also consider changing my phone.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
110 Posts
FYI... I bought the PowerStop cross drilled and slotted rotor brake kit about a year ago. After roughly 6 months, my steering wheel would shake pretty bad during braking. I figured I had a warped rotor. Called PS and they said I needed to have the rotors machined. Well, its difficult to find a shop that will machine slotted and drilled rotors. Most shops won't do it because it might damage their equipment. I kinda feel like I've been screwed by PS. Its a cheap kit so you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
FYI... I bought the PowerStop cross drilled and slotted rotor brake kit about a year ago. After roughly 6 months, my steering wheel would shake pretty bad during braking. I figured I had a warped rotor. Called PS and they said I needed to have the rotors machined. Well, its difficult to find a shop that will machine slotted and drilled rotors. Most shops won't do it because it might damage their equipment. I kinda feel like I've been screwed by PS. Its a cheap kit so you get what you pay for.
I can back this up, same happened with the ps drilled and slotted rotors and brakes I got for my sts. I drive the car hard and after a couple of months, when braking the steering wheel vibrates. Took it to a dealer and the rotors were warped. 990 for new rotors and brakes on all 4. I went to auto anything and replaced them

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sport Premium Package
53 Posts
I just went through this with same model CTS. This Included deciphering the Service Parts ID list. Even my dealership was only able to tell me I had 315mm on the rears.

Took me three weeks. Frustrating part is that different persons or sales reps gave conflicting info. Bottom line and final say is that I took my tires off and measured the rotors, converted to metric and called a day.

Worked out just great for mine. Save yourself the headache of getting pulled every which way. Pull a front and rear rim and measure existing rotors. Let me know how it works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I went ahead and already bought the kit from Power Stop, I haven't noticed any problems yet on the car but will see what happens. However the car does look awesome with drilled/slotted brakes. I do drive a lot so I will keep you updated.if there are any issues.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6di 1994 Eldoardo Touring
29 Posts
Make sure you torque the lug nuts properly and in the star pattern when installing these.

I dont like drilled brakes I feel like they reduce the strength a lot (my opinion)

btw I'm having same problem now! dont know what discs i have not solid but looked all new when I bought the car 10k ago at 50k so new cheap ebay maybe?

I hear good things about the EBC USR discs with red stuff brake pads I think I will do that, im waiting for a autozone 50% off coupon to buy mad junk

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
Make sure you torque the lug nuts properly and in the star pattern when installing these.

I dont like drilled brakes I feel like they reduce the strength a lot (my opinion)

btw I'm having same problem now! dont know what discs i have not solid but looked all new when I bought the car 10k ago at 50k so new cheap ebay maybe?

I hear good things about the EBC USR discs with red stuff brake pads I think I will do that, im waiting for a autozone 50% off coupon to buy mad junk
In drilled rotors, heat cracks can start spreading from around the holes as a result of uneven heating of the rotor.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts