Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vaio notebook only has 512mb of RAM, I think it's safe to say I could use a little more.

Now the common rule of thumb I've heard is to always match, right? Meaning since I have 512mb now I should buy another 512mb instead of 1gig.

Also, what brands should I stay away from, or does it matter? I need to get this by tomorrow afternoon before I go back up to Chicago, so I'm buying from Best Buy. Corsair looks to be the front runner right now at $54, then there's Kingston for $64. Just want to know what to look out for.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado
697 Posts
me personally i dont think they need to match 512 with 512 unless it dual channel.... so u can mix and match 1gb etc i always like to keep it the same brand

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
If your system has Dual Channel, match the sticks to activate it. The extra bandwidth will versus getting another stick of larger size.

As for brands, I'm a Corsair fan (better performance) but Kingston has been known for its stability and compbatibility across multiple platforms where as Corsair hasn't.

So a sure bet is Kingston, but if they synch right you'd get better performance from th Corsair.

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
I've used Corsair without issues in all of my desktops for the last four years. When I added some RAM to my laptop I went with whatever was cheapest and I think it was Kingston. It's been in there four years without issue.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the 1GB Kingston, didn't like paying $70 for it but I really needed it. Night and day difference in performance though from just 512mb. I'll get another off Amazon sometime soon, then my RAM will be all maxed out at 2GB.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
It totally depends on the machine. If it's dual channel capable then YES install in pairs to maintain dual channel functionality. If it's not then it really doesn't' matter these days.

I sell Crucial and only Crucial. They're probably the best RAM on the planet. Made by Micron they also make the Balistix products.

There's nothing wrong with Corsair or Kingston either but I am very very partial to Crucial for many time tested reasons. Being a reseller I can also give you some pricing if you'd like. Give me a model number and I'll throw a number out.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
As stated, it depends on the system board and what you have.
If you have one slot and you know one is empty, just match what you have.
I just updated my son's memory in his PC, he had a matched pair of sticks and no open slots.
I had to replace both sticks with the right stuff.
I did some research and found I needed some PC3200 non-ECC.
Swapped out nicely but I still have issues.
I think I need to replace his on board audio with a card.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Oh, and don't let your 512 stick hold you back if you have to match. As long as you have the cash, ditch the 512 and buy two 1 gig sticks. 2 gig is the bare minimum these days, if you're running WNT or higher.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Oh, and don't let your 512 stick hold you back if you have to match. As long as you have the cash, ditch the 512 and buy two 1 gig sticks. 2 gig is the bare minimum these days, if you're running WNT or higher.
I think that's a tad bit overkill. For most people still running XP or below, 768MB is more than comfortable... 1GB being more than enough. Unless of course you're running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, 100 browser windows open, and are playing some game all at the same time! Which I would 90% of the population does not do.

Although it's really a shame that the idea of "2GB bare minimum" is becoming common place. Most software has been over bloated for some time now, and it's only getting worse. I remember when programmers used to try and make their software as clean and compact as possible, because they usually only had so much to work with. Now it's the complete opposite. Not all that long ago 2GB used to be so massive that it was downright unthinkable... even for a hard drive!

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I agree. If you're going to have the thing for any length of time 2gb makes sense. I really don't think that 1Gb is enough for a fully patched XP or newer system running any application. Even office apps are memory hogs now a days.

I always love the people that say, I don't need anything big, all I want to do is go on the Internet, download pictures / music and play some games.

Well my friend you just told me everything possible that would cause me to beef the thing right up. LOL

1Gb is fine for a lot of people but RAM is so cheap now why not go for it.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do a lot of digital photo processing, so on a normal day I have Photoshop CS2, a program for processing RAW images, a program for printing, along with Firefox and sometimes iTunes open.

Good news is in a few months I plan on buying a nice desktop for myself so I can leave the notebook alone for school.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
As soon as the words PhotoShop pass you're lips just double the amount of RAM you think you need. Seriously. Photoshop will utilize whatever you throw at it. Especially processing RAW files

I do a lot of digital photo processing, so on a normal day I have Photoshop CS2, a program for processing RAW images, a program for printing, along with Firefox and sometimes iTunes open.

Good news is in a few months I plan on buying a nice desktop for myself so I can leave the notebook alone for school.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts