Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 STS and unfortunately, it only came with one key - and it's the valet key. I have purchased a spare key on eBay with the intent to have a spare made. Ideally, I would like to have this key cut as a master key. But without a master key already in hand, this does not seem possible. It seems that unless I order a master key from the dealer at a very high cost, I will end up making a spare valet key.

Am I right?
Do I have other options?
What would a Caddy dealer charge to make a master key?

P.S., I also ordered a keyless entry remote on eBay and having that programmed to my vehicle will not be a problem, so that alleviates some of the pain.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:eek: IF you have the optional driver adaptive key/remote setup, by the time you get finished duplicating keys 1 and 2 as well as remotes 1 and 2, which can only be done by a GM dealer, you'll have a little over $320 invested. Aftermarket remote entry systems are notorious for not working well in a Cadillac install......and, yes, you'll duplicate the valet key. Hard to figure where the OEM remote(s) and key(s) disappeared to............reproductions can be downloaded by a dealer using your VIN.

·
Registered
1998 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the STS at a repo auction, so I think I was lucky to get the valet key :)

I visited a locksmith this morning who has the Tech2 scan tool that allowed him to program the OEM remote I got on eBay to my vehicle ($45). Plus, he created a master key from my valet key ($36).

So it worked out for me at a fairly reasonable price.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
I am fairly certain that the difference between the valet key, and the master key, is a groove that runs up the key. I think the master has it, and the valet doesn't. Correct me if I am wrong. So have your master cut from your valet. Then go to your car, start the engine with the valet key, turn off the engine and remove the key, within 15 seconds insert the new master key, turn it to the run position, and wait for the chiming to stop. Your key is now ready to use.

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Sorry SteveX, I didn't read your last post. Anyway the info is there for anyone else who needs it.

Don

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:thumbsup: Y'all are correct......the valet key has only 1 groove in the side vice 2 for the regulars, so I guess it won't fit the glove box or trunk, and the glove box switch disables remote functions, so there's the security. I'm out of luck for extras unless I cough up the dealer $ 'cause my locksmith won't mess with coded keys.....so much for country folk.........

·
Registered
1998 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coaster: I used the following shop:

Lockworks Unlimited
1406 Main St, Redwood City
(650) 299-9126

For $36+tax, they provide the master key blank, cut it to match your valet key, and program it to your vehicle. They also guarantee that it will work. This is much better than buying a blank on eBay and taking your chances.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I bought a key off Ebay for like $17.00. I took it to a locksmith, and he charged me $5.00 to cut it. Programming is free. Keys can be had on Ebay for cheap so look around. Just a less expensive way to go.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts