Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First problem is when i put my key in the iginition and turn it ( to the point where its not started) and even when it is started, a rattling noise from the back ( possible muffler) occurs and goes away randomly...can someone please help me fix this problem...

next problem, is my ride blows, im pretty sure my struts are gone ( i researched alot, espically on this website) pretty much my car bounces up and down when i hit a bump and makes a lot of noise, someome please tell me how to fix...

also, i got a huge transmission problem ( i think) like when i go from park to reverse, the engine makes a big CLUNK, then again when i go from reverse to Drive....also when im driving and the car switches gears, another clunk...i took it to the macaniac and he didnt do shit, it worked for like 20 min then it started again, please help me fix, i just bought this car, and i feel like shit now because i knew i got ripped off

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
1, if the starter isn't cranking the engine over it's probably the fuel pump. It runs for a few seconds to pressurize the system.
I don't know if any models have a compressor for the suspension in the back. Have someone turn the key while you try to find the source of the noise. The fuel pump is in the gas tank.

2, Go to the suspension section and there is plenty of info. Replace the struts is the cure.

3, Sounds like a motor mount. Look at the "dog bones" at the top front of the engine. See if the rubber is gone. They keep the engine from rocking. If they are good there are motor mounts at the bottom that need to be checked.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
AdnanBomova said:
First problem is when i put my key in the iginition and turn it ( to the point where its not started) and even when it is started, a rattling noise from the back ( possible muffler) occurs and goes away randomly...can someone please help me fix this problem...
Sounds like the Electronic Level Control. It might have busted loose from its mounts or it's on its last legs.

AdnanBomova said:
next problem, is my ride blows, im pretty sure my struts are gone ( i researched alot, espically on this website) pretty much my car bounces up and down when i hit a bump and makes a lot of noise, someome please tell me how to fix...
Sounds like new struts, bushings, etc are in order.

AdnanBomova said:
also, i got a huge transmission problem ( i think) like when i go from park to reverse, the engine makes a big CLUNK, then again when i go from reverse to Drive....also when im driving and the car switches gears, another clunk...i took it to the macaniac and he didnt do shit, it worked for like 20 min then it started again, please help me fix, i just bought this car, and i feel like shit now because i knew i got ripped off
Motor mount?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i changed some of the motor mounts and it took out most of the noise for a while, then what happened was i brought it in to the macanhics and they changed the celoinoids in the trans and supposply re-wired some computer, it worked for like an hour then the same thing occured ( makes noise when i shift into reverse and drive and while driving it during switching gears it makes noise) someone please help?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thu said:
Sounds like the Electronic Level Control. It might have busted loose from its mounts or it's on its last legs.
quote]

how do i check to see if this is it or fix it? thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The ELC compressor is located on the passenger side of the rear crossmember, underneath the car. Does reving the engine effect it? because I've heard catylatic converters make rattling noises like that.

What motor mounts did you change?

You need new shocks and struts. If you want cheap, passive suspension systems are available, but If you want ride quality more, then OEM would be the way to go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Krashed989 said:
The ELC compressor is located on the passenger side of the rear crossmember, underneath the car. Does reving the engine effect it? because I've heard catylatic converters make rattling noises like that.
Reving the engine doesnt effect it at all, i think the compressor is making the noise under the car, any clue, its like a ticking noise ( goes on for about a min then goes away)

Krashed989 said:
What motor mounts did you change?
the front and back i think, i paid 1200 bucks to change these freakin celoniods in the trans and still i get nothing, everything runs smooth for about 4-5 min then the check engine light goes on and everything is ruined ( the engine noise/clunk comes back again ) supposly the problem is a computer/wiring, but iam not sure, please help me

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,173 Posts
If the check engine light is on, there is a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) stored that will likely tell you what the problem is. Pull the codes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cant get the codes, im real mad at this damn car, i mean its like sometimes when i start it drives smoothly/perfect then like out of no where the check engine sign comes up and its starts making clunk noises when it shifts gears and from drive to reverse, can anyone relate to any of this mad ness

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my trans a few times since it was overhauled. Had it in earlier today for the fix. Turns out it was the output speed sensor gone bad. Any kind of gear shift was a big thunk. Horrible driving. But when I cleared the codes it shifted fine. Try clearing your codes untill you can get it in to be fixed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Calm down. Step back, take a deep breath. Since you said it seems to run fine for the first few minutes, and then whammo! you get the Service-Light and it starts running crappy, then you GOT TO GET THE CODES! It sounds to me like the computer catches the code and then kicks into some sort of "limp" mode to get you by. You've got to get the codes. You can do that right from your dash. Take some time and STUDY these forums. There are lots of threads about getting the codes.

When you change motor-mounts, they're not expensive, and it never pays to just replace some of them. You gotta hit em all and be done with it... especially on an older car.

The struts and the Electronic Level Control are susceptible to wear-and-tear failure, and after you STUDY these forums for a bit, you'll see that you are not the only one with those issues. In my opinion, those can wait until you get your engine/transmission straightened out.

You better not be afraid to do some of your own work, otherwise you WILL be draining your bank-account BONE DRY!

Oh... Welcome to the Forums. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
donclericuzio said:
my 1995 STS acts up as well and I need help BAD!!! :annoyed: First off she has about 189K on her and I paid $4040.00 exactly for it two years ago, when she had 162K on her, did a tune up and new exhaust when I first got it, was told that I needed new mounts then, never got around to doing, the dogbone style ones up top are showin some wear, My tranny was acting up reving hard into second, and always wanting to slam back down to like 1500rpms right when you let up of the gas, even at interstate speeds, Im pretty sure the tranny needs some work. About a year ago, I had a problem where it wouldnt start at all, I ripped apart the steering column thinkin it was the ignition swith, wasnt that, so I had it towed up to Cadillac where the said the transmission transponder switch was messed up and the car couldnt tell wheather it was in park or drive. That was $450 right there. Now present day im stuck with the same dilema, go to start it and nothing no wanting to start or even a turn over, it just clicks from under the hood, like the something is relieving presure, (have yet to get the recall fixed on the fuel rail) Sometime though about a month ago, it would go in and out, like go on a streak where it would start for like 3 or 4 days and then go on a 2 week streak of not starting, and now its been sitting for atleast 3 weeks on its longest sitting period to date. Im pretty sure but not positive its not the starter, not the alternator, replace the battery today, and Im clueless what it could be. I can pull up trouble codes but most of them arent on the online look-up thing that everyone on here uses. If anyone can share info that will help I would appreciate it. Someone also said something about the ignition coil?? INPUT NEEDED!!
thart your own thread, stop trying to jack my thread please ( edit ur post, i dont want it in my thread, thank you)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Well he either didn't plug it in all the way, or the new one is bad already. Did he replace it with OEM?

I'm gonna go look through alldata for you, to see what else it can be.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Ok from what I just read it could be:
1. a bad pressure soleniod
2. a bad connection to the pressure soleniod
3. shorted wires going to the pressure soleniod
4. a bad PCM

Well I hope for you that it's not a bad PCM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, considering that your transmission demonstrates a solenoid issue, I would venture that the PCM is probably okay. It's time to do a continuity check of the pressure solenoid wires between the PCM edge-connector and the connection at the transmission.

You said the mechanic changed the solenoid. Was that at a dealer? If so, okay. If not, then do you KNOW that he changed the solenoid or did he just say so? Did you see the old one? Aside from all that, bad wires (short or open) would make it look like a bad solenoid. So it's time to break out your multimeter and do some continuity-checking.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts