Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing my brother-in-law's 1997 STS. It's got 85,000 miles on it, and is in great condition. The Kelley Blue Book private party price for it is approx. $10.5K - $11K, but he's willing to sell it to me for $9K so it's a very tempting offer.

Anyway, I really want a car that is easily going to take me to 150-200K miles, and I'm just wondering what kind of experience you STS owners have had with high mileage vehicles. One of the problems I've read about on the internet has been oil consumption; however, he's never had to add oil at any time (he has oil changes at regular 3,000 intervals), so I don't expect this problem to be an issue with this car/engine. Again, is it reasonable to expect this car will easily make it to 150-200K miles (provided regular maintenance, of course)?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Sure, it will make it to 200k, but not without a share of problems.....

I assume everything maintenance wise (especailly cooling system) has been attended to..... There are some very low mileage cars here with lots of problems..... There are also lots of high mileage cars (a few over 200k and a few more right at the border)..... It mostly depends on maintenance, and luck.... Its been mentioned before that there are certain MFG date cars that are good and some are bad.... We dont know which ones apply, but a member here said that he's had a batch that were great, and a batch that gave problems, and the common denominator was the mfg date.....

My best advice to you is get an extended warranty.... www.autowarrantybrokers.com is the internets best aftermarket company...... Since it looks like that you're gonna keep it for a long time, I suggest getting the longest one you can find...... I can 95% sure that it WILL pay for itself.... Also, if you get the warranty, and you havent had anything fixed, take it into the dealer and have them check for things...... If they cant find anything, tip the tech to find things.... Sounds stupid, but if by any stretch of the imagination they get money, they will.......

Sorry for the long post..... Welcome aboard.... Thanks for signing up :welcome:

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
Sounds like a keeper to me. Especially if it doesn't burn oil. That's one nusance you won't have to worry about.

I presume you get along good with your brother-inlaw? Its not that often you get to buy a car from someone you can trust regarding its history.

I've only had my '97 since May. I've added ~9k miles since buying it with 72k miles on it. My experience has been that occasionally I see spurrious messages pop up on the display that seem to reset after I've stopped the car and turned off the key.

At first I'd check out each message but never finding anything so now I pretty much ignore them.

The worst problem I've encountered with my '97 STS thus far is documented with pictures at:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4369

Lastly, if the numbers are correct. If you buy it for 9k then you can figure you have $1+k to allocate towards maintenance/repairs as you say he's selling it below book. Any maint./repairs you perform up to $2,000 could be considered as "bringing the car up to its Blue Book value."

..rickko..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts