Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 05 CTS 3.6 w/ 168000 miles
Issue: been leaking coolant and oil for a long time but hasn't been so bad that it needs refill in a week. Needs to be topped off every month to two months. But yet never has been extremely low, like empty coolant reservoir or below the oil dipstick level. Had a mechanic do some diag on both problems and found the loss of oil is from valve cover gaskets but possibly more areas. Coolant was found dried in valley of engine.
The engine itself is pretty healthy, drives good runs normal temp or below. No oil in coolant or visa versa.
Question: What areas beside head gaskets would possibly be a problem? What would be your guys approach this this problem? Has anyone had this problem before? How difficult is the process with head gaskets? And any more information you can provide will help.

My friend and I are mechanically incline and can do the valve covers. Moreso I'm concerned about the coolant.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would also suspect head gaskets. However it is also possible that coolant is leaking behind the front cover. This passage is sealed with RTV and it may have become compromised at some point. Mine had a very slight leak when I removed the cover but not enough for the coolant level to change. The problem is that you have to remove the front cover to find out if it is leaking from that area! Of course, you have to remove the cover to remove the heads, so it isn't more work than you would already be doing doe the heads.

Regardless, I highly recommend replacing the timing chains and tensioners at the same time unless they have already been done. Some people also replace the oil pump at that time but I did not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
RyanY