Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the kick down cable for the tranny mounted on my 03 STS. Aka the cable thats usually mounted somehow to the tb or a bracket with the throttle cable so when you mash the gas it pulls a pin up on the tranny pushing it into a lower gear.
For some reason it just doesnt kick down like it should sometimes, my old 83 TA had the same problem and i just made the kick down cable tigher. I hope to do the same on my STS but idk where it is
ANY HELP is appreciated
thanks guys!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,139 Posts
If I interpret the 2002 FSM correctly, all shift sequencing and gear selections are controlled by sensors, solenoids, pressures, 2 pumps, and the PCM. Power downshifts are commanded by PCM interpretation of one h of a lot of sensors. The only cable is the one which connects the shift lever to the transmission quadrant lever (top right rear of trans) and incorporates a length adjuster on the transmission outer jacket bracket. (That's the cable which loops out of the firewall, over the top of the engine cover, and down under the fuel line and throttle cable bracket.)

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Thats correct, there is no mechanical "kick down cable".

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn
was hoping to fix that
highly doubtful but the dealer cant tweak it right?
i mean its pretty bad the lag, my ETC everytime you nailed it dropped down

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
you can change shift pressures by preloading the solenoids ... you should be able to pop them out of the side of the trans...

i did it on my 4R100 in my lightning... also changed the valve body and upped line pressures...

you can do it through a tune also... its a different table than the spark/fuel tables...

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do i preload the solenoids?
kinda greek to me hahaha
someone makes a tune for these cars trannys?

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
i don't know... i know that the gearshift tables are different than the spark tables

you can preload the solenoids with split washers...they arent real "solenoids" but springloaded valves actuated by hydraulic pressure...

you need to know a good value before you shim the springs though, if you shim them too much your line pressure will go up way too high and you'll blow lines or the solenoids will snap shut too fast for the gears to shift and you'll burn your converter to ash.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,139 Posts
:stirpot: I know little or nothing about other '99-'04 GM lines and their engine/vehicle control systems, BUT I have learned from these forums and other online chat rooms that, if you start doodling with the PCM programming in this STS/SLS/Eldo series, you may well open up a can of worms that is impossible to recover from. Nuf ced.......(Curiously, when I nail my '02, whether from a dead stop, accelerating, or passing, it kicks you in the butt. Instantly. TC on or off.)

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nothing tranny involved
some DDM (i think thats the prefix) codes keep coming back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts