Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2000 deville motor has around 100k miles it's been swapped before to this one anyways the belt broke and it ruined the tensioner pulley the smaller one and the bigger now this is how far I've gotten I have the tensioner off and everything in the way so far I know I just have the water pump area to go I know I have to have a special tool and I have it only problem I am having is that bigger pulley it looks like it has a trex head it's rounded and looks like it I'm not vary sure but that's how it appears now how do I go about removing that ? Do I need a special pulley removeal tool ? Is there any other way special trucks any more work I'd have to do in order to get it off ? I'm kinda knowledgeable when it comes to cars I can some mild work on them so is this something I should keep going with or have someone else do it ? Please any feed back would be much appreciated

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
Hello I have a 2000 deville motor has around 100k miles it's been swapped before to this one anyways the belt broke and it ruined the tensioner pulley the smaller one and the bigger now this is how far I've gotten I have the tensioner off and everything in the way so far I know I just have the water pump area to go I know I have to have a special tool and I have it only problem I am having is that bigger pulley it looks like it has a trex head it's rounded and looks like it I'm not vary sure but that's how it appears now how do I go about removing that ? Do I need a special pulley removeal tool ? Is there any other way special trucks any more work I'd have to do in order to get it off ? I'm kinda knowledgeable when it comes to cars I can some mild work on them so is this something I should keep going with or have someone else do it ? Please any feed back would be much appreciated
-------------------------------
most likely the idler pulley seized -
the belt stopped -
the big plastic pulley continued spinning - and melted - until the belt broke -

it takes a special puller to remove and install the plastic pulley -

check for a HOW-TO in the TechTips forum - here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

or - do a search for REPLACE NORTHSTAR WATER PUMP DRIVE PULLEY - -
or something similar -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
The Torx head on the intake cam extension black plastic cover is only a thread protector. You remove that and use the puller on the large pulley hub groove, then use the installer or a suitable metric bolt, nut and stack of greased washers to press the new pulley onto the cam extension. DO NOT hammer, bend, or lever that cam extension. Screw up the oil seal or crack the cam and you have big trouble.

As I post all the time - Change that water pump drive belt tensioner pulley BEFORE it seizes and causes your problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 DHS DeVille
135 Posts
Just did this exact thing on my 2004 DHS. Had the same issue with my 98 melted the pulley and broke the belt. Decided to do my DHS when it was making squeeking noises. AZ will loan you a puller for the big pulley (steering pump puller) look in the tech tips section to find the thread pitch for the bolt to re-install the pulley on the cam. The stacked washer method works great! Slap some Vaseline on the washers, clean up is easier. BTW, I picked up a tensioner at the local salvage yard. Looked like it had just been replaced before the guy wrecked the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts