Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the instructions in the Caddy manual regarding the resetting of the tire pressure monitor system?? I have follwed the instructions to a "T" and still can't get the system to work properly.

The manual states after you set the brake, turn the Acc on, Lock/Unlock the doors with the remote, then press both of them at the same time you will hear a single horn chirp. ( Well I get 2 horn chirps!) then go to the left front tire and let air out or in for 5 seconds or until you hear your horn chirp then proceed to each tire and do the same.

Well when I get to the left front tire I have inflated and deflated that tire I bet ten times and I have yet to hear a chirp. (All within 10-30 seconds) Also tried it on the other wheels and nothing. My dealer isn't any help as he states you have to put a magnet around the tire valve stem. (Which I am familiar with as this is what my Chysler 300 uses, but they provide you with the magnet and instructions on how to use it) If Caddy had this system you would think they would provide you with the magnet and proper instructions.

I know the sensors are good as I took the wheels off 500 miles ago and they were fine. Putting them back on has been a nightmare. The car only has 7500 miles on it. SO what is the big secret here?? :shhh:

Rondog

·
Registered
42 Posts
do you need to drive around the block first to turn the on .... on my Anniversary Vette they took a couple rotations to start working .... maybe after that they could relearn their positions ..????

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Here is the procedure from the manual.
Maybe your procedure needs some fine tuning.

With the ignition switch, select the ACC mode.
Simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitter's lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp sounds or use the scan tool and select Special Functions/Sensor Learn Mode Enable/Enable soft key. A horn chirp will sound indicating the mode has been enabled. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.
Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or increase/decrease the tire pressure for 5-8 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before the 5-8 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 5-8 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
After a horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right Front
Right Rear
Left Rear
After the LR sensor has been learned a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
With the ignition switch, select the OFF mode to exit the learn mode.
After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended pressure
BTW, no you don't use a magnet on the new ones, that doesn't work.
You have to use the decrease/increase method or the new special programming tool they came out with recently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently you are looking at a service manual, where all I have is the owners manual. The owners manual states as I stated in my original post. Nothing is quoted about using the tool that you mention. And I did drive the car around the block so the tires would be rotated from the position I first tried.

Where can one get the tool that you are referring to. I did find 2 tools on the internet that claim they will work, but they are both in the $300.00 range. I shouldn't have to pay anything for a car that I spent $50 grand on and the owners manual states it can be changed!!

As a follow up, I will tell you I drove 40 miles to another dealer that reset my sensors with the electronic tool and didn't charge me a dime! That's great for now but what about next year when I change my wheels back, what's going to happen then?? I'm hoping someone will come out with a more affordable tool that will do the same thing. I'm thinking tire dealers will eventually have to buy these tools as well. I know the Corvettes are having the same problem.

Thanks for yout help and concern

Rondog

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It's a problem that will get worse before it gets better. Now NHTSA has mandated tire pressure monitor systems on all models, I think starting in the 2006 production run, maybe '07.

You can do it without the tool but you have to follow the procedure closely and use the "tire deflation/inflation" method.
Which I don't find convenient at all BTW.
I use the proramming tool and it's freaking expensive. I think it was like 5 or 6 hundred bucks actually and they had a software problem which has been "fixed". They eat batteries too. It uses 3 C cell batteries and only lasts for about 3 or 4 cars!

Honestly though, you should never have to do it unless you replace the tires, and even then if you keep track of where they are you should be able to put them back. I believe STS has different size tires front to rear and you can't rotate them. At least the General doesn't recommend it and it's a waste of time to swap them left to right.

You are quite welcome.
Sorry it's not all good news.

·
Registered
Cadillac DTS 2009 / F150 lariat 2006 / 2019 CT6 AWD 3.0tt Super cruise
33 Posts
I have a 01 STS with over 60,000 miles and never had the tire pressure monitors adjusted. Even after I put new tires on, if you only have 7500 miles on your car why mess with them if you don't have to. If you keep getting messages for tire pressure your car is still under warranty they should look at it for you.

Ketcha L8a Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2006 STS V6. Monitors have been a problem from day one. After a bit of driving I get a Service Tire Monitors message and the system will not read the fronts. senders have been replace in the front but did not cure the problem. Can always read the rears. Anyone have similar problems?:bonkers:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
An 01 is very different from an '05-'06, the way the systems are set up I mean. They do the same thing of course. The reason you program them when you rotate them is so you know which one is low, if you take the one the car thinks is the right front and move it, it won't do you much good for it to tell you RF if that's not where it is.

I have seen a lot of guys install the wrong sensors, particularly on the STS. Since it's a new car with lots of new design parts some people just don't get that they can't slap on parts that have worked for years.
I'd keep bugging them until it is fixed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Our car is at the dealer for the third time for this problem. It always reads the rears, but not the fronts. The problem comes and goes. How were these problems resolved??

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Blackberry,2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded, 2016 SRX LOADED
482 Posts
If it was me, I would after changing seasonal tires, I would unhook the battery overnight. That should reset most everything and the tire moniotor would relearn.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I am going on the BMW forum to see if they too are having similar problems. I will get back with you guys tomorrow. Just curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts