Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been working on changing the rear driver side hub/bearing today on a 2004 CTS and I am having some issues.

I cannot get the axle to remove from the hub. Instructions say to use the hub removal tool to remove it and then take the 3 bolts out from the back of the hub and remove the hub...

Well I rented a hub tool and it pushes the axle back but it will only go back so far before I cant tighten the tool anymore. Logic to me says to remove the 3 bolts on the hub first but that seems impossible because of how small the area is to work with. Are the instructions wrong?

Only way I can see to do it is start disconnecting the whole damn thing, ie main suspension and then just slide the damn thing off. Is there something im missing on the instructions? I mean it says take the bolts off after you use the hub tool, and that makes no sense to me because I cant get the bolts out until the axle is out...

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
You should try to find someone that has the helms manual or go to a local Library and see if they have it. I looked on the V forum and there was a little info, but probaly not that helpful, one guy wrote:

Ya the spindle nut is only thing that holds hub to axle (besides the need to take the caliper/caliper bolts out)

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the spindle nut is all that holds the axle in but you can only push the axle back so far before the hub needs to move forward. I have the hub removal manuals, same that the Cadillac dealership would use. I am going to try and remove the 3 bolts holding the hub in tomorrow even though they are a bitch to get to with the axle in.

Wish me luck, will be fun turning them half a mm at a time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 of the 3 are out and the 3rd is broken loose. The upper ball joint is in the way though. Now I have to figure out how the get that off.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I popped the upper ball joint out and got the 3rd bolt out holding the hub in. Guess what... hub still wont come out. Its stuck. PB Blaster, sledgehammer wont get it out. I truly don't know what to do now, I cant really hammer it out from the back much since there is barely any room to hit it hard enough.

Should I even try using a torch or will that just seal it in more?

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Half the bearing was still in the hub, had to use the air hammer again to get it out. Put it all together pretty easy and it works great, car is very quiet. :)

If the other one goes im telling my brother he can find a way to pay for it to be fixed haha.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Did you take any pictures? Was it necessary to take out those three bolts. Let us know, I may have to do the job in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts