Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just paired my razor phone with the STS. Phone works as it is supposed to when the car is sitting still. As soon as the car starts to move the numbers in the screen get grayed out and you can't make a call. As soon as the car stops the numbers come back on. Is this a safty feature and if so is there a way to turn it off ? I can't make a call while the car is moving. What is the sence of having "hands free" if you can't use it while under way?:banghead:
I hope someone can help me with this.
Thanks
Lane

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Yes this is a safety feature and cannot be bypassed (at least not anyway that anyone has found/published yet).

The system intends for you to either:

A) Program your most popular numbers into the system directory and then use the "nametag" function to dial while driving.

and/or

B) Use digit dialing while the vehicle is in motion with the VR functionality of the car.

Now all that being said; I find that option (A) works fine for me but (B) doesn't YMMV. There are many threads and comments on the Bluetooth functionality contained on the board so doing a couple of searches will give you plenty of reading material.

You will have noticed that a great many of the touchscreen functions go "grey" when wheels are rolling as part of GM's quest for reduced accidents or was it legal liability...

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a safety feature and there is no hack for it. You can program in frequently dialed numbers and use voice recogniton to call while driving. Cingular has a voice dialing feature where you can say the numbers and the number is called which is far superior to the voice dialing feature in the STS. I have the Razr and use one number speed dialing also for frequently dialed numbers which is not too hard to do while driving.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Moto 551 and it works well. The only way you can dial while driving is to either use the VR system or dial on your phone which then goes through the car for handsfree conversation. You have to hang up your phone manually while driving when call is ended. Clarity is very good. As stated above, Cingular phones have voice dialing so you could go that route as well.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Voice dialing is not unique to Cingular and is based on phone manufacturer, not service carrier. Your Rzr has it as you well know as do all current edition Moto phones and most others as well. I find that the nametag dialing works well in my car and I use the phone VR for other numbers not listed in the vehicle directory as well.

You also do not need to manually hang up the phone if you dialed from the handset and are using the Bluetooth link for handsfree. Just press the VR hardkey on the steering wheel to drop the call when finished regardless of how it was connected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts