Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, but couldn't find any info on this. Does anyone have info or a link on how to adjust the parking brake? Its getting boating season, and this will be the first year I am using the Escalade.

This morning, I was parked on a slight incline with the boat hitched so I set the parking brake. Abscent minded and not thinking much about it, I got in started up, backed up a bit, and started to pull forward. At which point a very loud and annoying bing kept going of... Oh yea duh... forgot to release the parking brake.

Well this concerns me, because it seems if the vehicle was so easy to move under these circumstances, I doubt its going to hold it on a boat ramp. You never want to rely on the pin in the transmission on a boat ramp! So I was thinking it probably needs adjusted. It seemed with the F-250 I used to have I had to give the adjusters a few clicks out each year.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Re: Need Help with Parkign Brake

Adjustement is done via a nut on the primary cable that goes to the wire from the pedal. It then splits in two to the rear wheels. Its on the drivers side outside frame rail. You cant miss it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
233 Posts
Keep in mind, the parking brake is a relatively tiny set of shoes inside the small rear disk hub. At it's best it won't hold much and struggles to hold our 3 ton vehicles on an incline. Don't count on it holding a boat and trailer along with the Escalade weight.

·
Registered
Escalade
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind, the parking brake is a relatively tiny set of shoes inside the small rear disk hub. At it's best it won't hold much and struggles to hold our 3 ton vehicles on an incline. Don't count on it holding a boat and trailer along with the Escalade weight.

It dang well better or it will go into the lake one day. At which point I will be more than happy to call an attorney over. Remember, the boat is floating when you set the brake, it doesn't have the full weight of the boat, just the trailer.

However, I took it to see how it would do, no problem. Still would like to have it grab a littl higher in the pedal, so I will probably adjust it up a bit. Im surprised the drums just dont have adjusters in them... hadn't looked really. Last GM Vehicle I had just locked the disc to the rotor (Z28).

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
I also own a boat and I adjusted the park brake as best as I could after replacing the rear discs, pads and park brake shoes. But I just cant get a good feeling out of the park brake pedal like on my old blazer. It goes right to the floor, but seems to hold pretty good. I have yet to try with the boat up ramp. Will do in a few months...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Do not use the cable to adjust the tension on the park shoes.

You will have to remove the brake caliper and caliper mounting bracket.
The bolts that hold the bracket on the axle housing require locking compound so they don't come loose after you reassemble them.
The left shoe usually loses all of it's braking material so you might want to think about replacing the shoes while you are in there. (worse with high miles)
Once the rotor is off you can see the shoe and it is fairly easy to replace and/or adjust.
Don't tighten it too tight, you don't want it to drag in the "drum" like the old brake shoes did when adjusted properly.

Reactions: bandzior

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
360 Posts
Don't factor the 'feel' of the pedal. The parking brake on the Escalade is hydraulic assisted, which means that it's meant to go all the way to the floor. Don't let that fool you. Instead - focus on performance.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Looked up info in the service manual, adjustement is indeed at the wheel itself. Park brake is fully mecanical.

Park Brake Adjustment
Park Brake Shoe Adjustment
Tools Required

J 21177-A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gage

Important

The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.

1. Set the J 21177-A so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.

2. Position the J 21177-A over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the J 21177-A .
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

Park Brake Pedal Adjustment

Important

Before you adjust the park brake, verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

1. Verify that the self adjuster lock-out pin has be removed.
2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can use that tool, however most of them I have used are not terribly accurate due to construction tolerances.
I usually put it on and make sure they are close but don't drag. It takes experience to get it perfect but close is good.
You can buy that tool fairly inexpensively at a parts store, however you only need it for the park shoe adjustment so....

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Thanxs for the tips ewill, I'll hafta take another look at the adjustement before summer gets here. Didnt pay much attention to the adjuster screws, relied on cable tension to take care of adjustement. Park brake still holds pretty good but pedal does go all the way to the floor.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The pedal on this brake feels weird, but if it is adjusted properly it will hold even though it feels like it "goes to the floor".
The cable is to put a bit of tension on the actuator inside the drum, but if you use the cable to adjust the actual brake, you will tear the shoes up.

·
Registered
Escalade
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read somewhere that you have to remove an axle nut to pull the rotor off, and this is a one time use nut.

Anyone have further information on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The pedal on this brake feels weird, but if it is adjusted properly it will hold even though it feels like it "goes to the floor".
The cable is to put a bit of tension on the actuator inside the drum, but if you use the cable to adjust the actual brake, you will tear the shoes up.
Hello everyone,

I dont know who might need this information, but I was having the same issue with my E-brake; kept pushing down to the floor. I knew something wasn't right. I replaced the E-brake shoes because they were worn, but still had trouble having the E-brake go down to the floor. I began searching and found the little mechanical gear a lot of people mentioned about after removing the brake caliper. I tried to move the gear but noticed that the gear wouldn't extract while hitting it in both direction with a flat head screw driver. I removed the shoe and kept playing with the mechanism and finally realized that the whole hardware failed and needed to be replaced. The screw wouldn't extract anymore, it was stuck. I went to Napa Autoparts and purchased a Parking Brake Hardware Kit for my 2005 Cadillac Escalade AWD for $23 out the door. I installed the whole new mechanical set, re-installed the shoe and began to move the gear to extract the shoe. IT WORKED! I got it to wear I felt some resistance on the drum, but not too much.. just enough. BAM! E-brake works like a charm now! Less stress on my transmission and now can park on a slanted hill no problem!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed that above the e brake pedal there is a spring that takes up the slack when depressing the pedal, allowing the pedal to reach the floor. Not entirely sure of the springs purpose. I speculate it may be because these are AWD and you don't want the front wheels locking when e brake is applied in an emergency situation.
Could be completely wrong.
But I was thinking if the spring was by passed (I know it wouldn't be as simple as taking out the spring due to geometry and such) that the e brake would hold much better.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
800 Posts
Parking brake is actuated for the rear axle only. And the parking brake is a separate brake system from the rotor, housed in the mini drum. No hydraulic assist. Not sure how the front brakes would lock up. The most likely purpose of the spring is to pull the parking brake pedal up and keep it up when the parking brake is released.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts