Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the kit from RadiosandMore.com hoping to hook my ipod Mini up to my CTS, This is very important to me but recently iv'e been hearing many problems and bugs with this saying you can ONLY switch songs by the tuner knob, and that is just really annoying and not worth for me to install, So I would like to know is, should I even bother bringing this to the dealership and paying instalation charges and risk having to take it back out? or should I just return it and wait/get something else better?

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
That issue is only on the Video Ipod from what I have heard... I wounldn't worry about it with a mini..

It occureed becasue Apple changed the communication on the video version to add a bit which will be fixed.. you dont have a video version, so I wont worry.

Reed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, I'm one of the victims of the photo ipod. I have to use the Tuner knob to change the tracks. Its really frustrating!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did the Harmon Kardon drive and play. I mounted the screen on my windsheild on top of the rearview mirror and the control knob on the center console. The "brain" fit nicely behind the HVAC unit and I hardwired all the power stuff. Next week I'm going to hardwire an FM modulator to get a better sound, though I'll admit the FM Wireless broadcast is among the best I've experienced.

The install was simple enough - I spent most of the time figuring out where I'd mount everything. The only complaint I have is that it takes a while to get used to the control knob; it's not exactly accurate when selecting songs, and it starts to 'jump' artists when you're scrolling through. But....once you get the hang of it it's fine. I also have about 30gigs of music so I have a lot to navigate.

The main reason I bought it was because the radiosandmore kit would not work with my video ipod. Also, I can take this with me if I sell the car. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
johnnybn said:
I did the Harmon Kardon drive and play. I mounted the screen on my windshield on top of the rearview mirror and the control knob on the center console. The "brain" fit nicely behind the HVAC unit and I hardwired all the power stuff. Next week I'm going to hardwire an FM modulator to get a better sound, though I'll admit the FM Wireless broadcast is among the best I've experienced.
Pictures would help as I am interested in this system. Did you get it from the eBay seller you referenced? How do the colors match our interiors? Where you stashing your iPod? Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am shopping for a digital camera right now, when I find the right one I'll get you some pics. The colors aren't bad, its just a dark silver. I have the black dash with tan carpet/seats interior. The only part I don't like about the color scheme is that the illuminating parts are all blue. Doesn't really go with our orange though, if I remember my 1st grade art classes, I believe they are complementary colors ;).

I got it off of eBay at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5846745462

The shipping was pretty fast with this guy. I am stashing the iPod in the glove box so that I can easily remove it on really cold nights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For this Harmon Kardon solution did you have to remove anything out of the center console, because My dad does not want to do anything that involves removing anything he is afraid they are going to brake something(just got the car) thanks

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
You don't necessarily have to pull out the center console to do the Harmon Kardon drive+play. You can run it via FM transmitter and power it with your 12v outlet. I wanted a more stealth install though, so I ran the power from the back of the radio, and hard wired in an FM modulator. When you pull out the center console, it allows you to put the "Brain" behind the HVAC unit and run the wires for the display and control knob so that they're hidden. If you didn't pull the console, it would be harder to hide the wires.

I mounted the control knob on the proclip solution that clips onto the shifter console. To hide the control knob wire I drilled a hole through the proclip and ran it under the plastic for the shifter console.

Removing the center console is not really hard. I did break the ashtray revolving thing, but only because I removed it. It's not necessary to remove that part to pull out the console.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I was not aware the Drive+Play was FM Modulated. Thats a real bummer. No matter how good those FM Modulators are, Ive used them from 10-70.00 and never found one to be of acceptable quality.

If there is any way to hardwire it I would definitely do the extra work to put it in.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took a slightly different route with Ipod integration on my 2006 CTS. I had the need to plug in not only my ipod, but also a cassette walkman (we have a ton of books-on-tape), so I needed first and foremost an "Aux" input. I used the directions from 'cadillacfaq.com' to install the PAC AAI-GM12 Aux input. I did as suggested and ran extensions for the switch and aux inputs to under my front seat. Furthermore, for the IPOD specifically, I installed the Blitzsafe UII Universal IPOD Interface, which allows me to play and charge my IPOD in the car (this wired into one of the inputs on the GM12). Now, I do have to control the ipod directly (ie on the ipod, not thru controls on the radio or dash), but I liked this approach since I typically just pick a pre-defined playlist and let it run thru that for my whole drive.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
ctsvett said:
I may have some brackets for sale soon that will give you a very cool mounting place for the ipod.. anyone interested.. e-mail me..
Reed
Reed,

Any pics of your bracket that you are selling for the iPod? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts