Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not merely a curiosity question..I think I'm on the verge of deciding whether to scrap a beautiful 1985 Cadillac Seville or replace the 4.1 engine.

I know the inherent problems with this engine, however after 115,000 great miles I can't really knock it. BUT...I would really like to save this Classic car and need to know what engines will fit. I love the body style and this particular car is in EXCELLENT condition; no bumps, bruises, rust, mechanical problems, etc..

I replaced the timing gear and chain last year at 107,000 miles simply because of high mileage. The old gear/chain had hardly any appreciable play in it and I replaced the A/C compressor with a new (not rebuilt) unit. Other than regular maintenance, that's all I've had to do to it. So I think it's worth saving unless the engine replacement is a foolish investment. I have a truck and two Corvettes to drive so this one is just an occasional driver.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Unless, of course, you tell me to junk it. In that case you can expect a visit from my friend Vinny the Nose!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Not too familiar with the configuration of your car. If it is FWD, the 4.5 is a good choice, as the electronics and fuel system are compatable with your car, as well as the engine practically being a bolt in. If it is RWD, you have a myraid of choices, ranging from Oldsmobile small-blocks, to Cadillac big-blocks in the 368/425/472/500 family. There are a few people here who have done one swap or the other, and they can probably provide some specifics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
DaveSmed